Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

Take the money you don't have from the job you don't have and move to an apartment you can't afford. Take up a hobby you don't like and can't pay for like cars or carpentry. Put yourself in huge amounts of debt because E/N doesn't understand how tough it can be to get a job straight out of college right now because they did it themselves during an easier time and bray the same insufferable bullshit over and over.

But yeah be nicer to your parents.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

waste of internet posted:

I wanna know what type of industry the OP is trying to get involved with, before we start singin the economy blues.

Seeing as he's said he's been applying everywhere and anywhere, even at minimum wage fast food jobs, it's fair.

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

Gnack posted:

He's trying to find a paying job - what is so hard to understand about this that people keep ignoring it?

Because he has career aspirations and hobbies people don't like.

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

ClemenSalad posted:

Hes a volunteer secretary.

Theres no reason he can't get 10-20 hours at McD's or something to save some money or contribute.

Which he's trying and has tried to do. Minimum wage jobs aren't the easiest thing to come by right now because there is a huge pool of applicants and not nearly as many positions. It can take people months to find work, and it's frustrating how quick people are to blame the individual for being lazy. It's a terrible attitude to have towards the unemployed.

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

Benny, you should get work as a grave digger.

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

ClemenSalad posted:

He's 22 his parents can't make him do anything at this point. If he was my kid he would either have a job, be in school (for something with prospects down the line), or out of my house at this age.

Edit: And to the guy earlier who said it was really hard to get a McD's type job, unless he lives in the ruralest of rural small towns, theres plenty of work to be had at those wages the turnover is huge and theres a big demand for them even at the worst of the recession.

And what if your kid was unemployed and had no money? They can't really go live on their own in that case. That's a big reality for a lot of people in their 20's right now. I live in Chicago, and I've known smart, college-educated people who have been applying to every place under the sun to get a job. It's not snobbishness. There just aren't enough minimum-wage jobs for people looking for something to do in the mean time.

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

ClemenSalad posted:

I think we both know its doable if you really want it.

This is the bullshit I'm talking about.

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

Yes, but why aren't you doing more??? If you really wanted it, you'd have a job by now bub.

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

ClemenSalad posted:

He's just being a sarcastic rear end in a top hat thinking he's owning me or others in this thread.

Keep at it dude it'll happen and keep your mind open to jobs you think are "dead ends", few jobs are.

It's because people come into these threads wanting to pick on the OP based on no information whatsoever, built upon this deterministic concept that the unemployed just aren't trying hard enough to get a job. It's an attitude that is really hurting the young unemployed right now and it's due to people like you who have no idea what things are like. It's complete idiocy, clemen.

house of the dad fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Feb 1, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

I'll shut up. I just don't think the OP should be made to feel bad for not having a job yet, and it does get my temper up.

• Locked thread