Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

It's a your-mileage-may-vary situation.

I haven't been looking for a job for a year and a half so I've forgotten half of what I knew, but as a technical writer, I got most of my bites off of applications on Careerbuilder. Why? I do not know.

Now that I've been doing solid work for a while I get recruiters on LinkedIn trying to get me to help them source people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

FrozenVent posted:

I've had multiple recruiters reach out through LinkedIn, and I found a job through the ads on there once.

The recruiters were all useless though ("Oh, uh, your salary expectations are a bit high for the market...")

What that means is they're trying to undersell you to make it more likely that you get a job. They're thinking that if you're that qualified but willing to sell yourself short then they're sure to get their commission. A.K.A. don't use any recruiter who uses that line.

I once had a recruiter tell me that my current salary at my current job was too high for the market and then was surprised when I said I was not going to go to their office or use their services. Call me over paid then expect me to hire you to find me a job? Yeah right.

Edit: To further elaborate, he refused to believe that that was my salary and thought I was lying. I decided to Google my company's name, the city I work in, and what salary they offer and my position and salary popped up highr in Google!

Covok fucked around with this message at 09:33 on Aug 7, 2017

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

There's an intern in my office who goes to lunch every week with a different industry person that he connected with on LinkedIn. I hugely admire his gumption and I'm sure it translates into legitimate job hunting benefits for him.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
I spent the past few months building up my LinkedIn profile and all the basic tutorial boxes are checked. 30+ connections, profile summary, skills listed, etc etc. Question is, how do I use it? I get the purpose behind it, but am I supposed to use it like a white collar facebook? Post links of cool things related to my field, mention a positive interaction with someone, maybe an article that resonated with me? Does appearing active and sociable on there win me points towards a potential employer? Right now this all feels like an act, and I'm not even sure if they would look at anything other than my profile page.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

buglord posted:

I spent the past few months building up my LinkedIn profile and all the basic tutorial boxes are checked. 30+ connections, profile summary, skills listed, etc etc. Question is, how do I use it? I get the purpose behind it, but am I supposed to use it like a white collar facebook? Post links of cool things related to my field, mention a positive interaction with someone, maybe an article that resonated with me? Does appearing active and sociable on there win me points towards a potential employer? Right now this all feels like an act, and I'm not even sure if they would look at anything other than my profile page.

This is exactly how I feel. I'm looking to try and actually get into doing game audio/music as a consistent side job, maybe someday leading to full-time work again, but the more time goes on, the less likely I think my LI profile will have any part in that. Ah well, guess I really have to network more, which is funny, since I thought that was the whole purpose of LI.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

LinkedIn is a tool for networking, but I think most people don't understand how that really works. Adam Grant has a great explainer on it. The summary:

quote:

It’s true that networking can help you accomplish great things. But this obscures the opposite truth: Accomplishing great things helps you develop a network.
Go out and do stuff, meet people, and then connect with them on LinkedIn. That's how you network.

sirspen
Sep 10, 2010
Is the stairmasters group active at all? I attempted to join last week, but have not gotten accepted and I noticed a few other people on here have experienced the same. Anyway, I saw that some of you guys are finding LinkedIn less useful for job finding, but how is it for the IT sector? I recently moved to a new town (country even) so I have 0 contacts in the area and am trying to get all the help I can in getting a job here.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

If in a new country and looking to network, find out what the local Chamber of Commerce events are and go along

Lord_Adonis
Mar 2, 2015

by Smythe
Is there any conceivable benefit for 'blue collar' workers such as myself to use LinkedIn and other networking services?

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
I need some advice.

I've been applying for work diligently. Often, I end up apping to a staffing agency's posting. There is so many of them and I don't know their names. I go there for a screening, but I get this vibe that they aren't there for a job but just to get my info for a database. I'm worried my info may end up being sent to people multiple times because of this, thus hurting my search. Is this fear grounded? Do they do that when you just came in for a particular job?

Also, why do all recruiters seem to suck so bad? Since my real name isn't attached, can I just say that only one recruiter has ever gotten me any interview and his advice for it probably ended up hurting more than helping me. Yeesh!

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

Lord_Adonis posted:

Is there any conceivable benefit for 'blue collar' workers such as myself to use LinkedIn and other networking services?

Is there any drawback?

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Lord_Adonis posted:

Yes it is a place people go to look for skilled individuals. Unless by "blue collar" you mean "retail experience" in which case no unless youre looking to move up. But machinist, welder, yea. Indeed and craigslist are good as well if youre actively searching.

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009
What's with everyone suddenly copy/pasting those lovely Oleg Visnepolksy stories about how awesome he is for hiring Archetype$? Does this serve some business purpose or are these accounts all hacked. With most of them I see no attribution or quotation and it's from people who are no where near hiring roles.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
I currently work in a crappy retail/warehouse job, but I've been teaching myself programming trying to escape and break into software/web development. Any advice on what to put as a "headline"?

The common advice seems to say put your current job, but looking into developer jobs with "Warehouse Assistant at Shoppocorp" at the top seems to give the wrong impression. But I don't know if I can write that I'm a programmer/developer without being a professional. (Putting amateur or hobbyist seems like a bad idea? "Aspiring Developer & Warehouse Assistant"? :smith:)

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
I've been using LinkedIn to find potential job opportunities and found it to be a great tool. Have been able to get in touch with many people and have set up interviews as well. However, I noticed that there are a good amount of companies that do not advertise job listings on LinkedIn but I'll see their listings on Glassdoor and Indeed. Do you guys have any other websites that I could search for job listings besides LinkedIn, Glassdoor, and Indeed? Right now, I'm very interested in working in Europe as well so I'm aware of LinkedIn type sites such as Xing for the German market but I wonder if there are any other sites I could use.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

I think those are the big three general job boards, but there are a lot of industry/profession-specific sites out there that might be worth your time.

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

VagueRant posted:

I currently work in a crappy retail/warehouse job, but I've been teaching myself programming trying to escape and break into software/web development. Any advice on what to put as a "headline"?

The common advice seems to say put your current job, but looking into developer jobs with "Warehouse Assistant at Shoppocorp" at the top seems to give the wrong impression. But I don't know if I can write that I'm a programmer/developer without being a professional. (Putting amateur or hobbyist seems like a bad idea? "Aspiring Developer & Warehouse Assistant"? :smith:)

Your headline does not have to include what you do now at all. "Aspiring Developer" is fine. If there's something else you can add that's both true and a plus, do so. Did you learn anything about Lean Manufacturing at your warehouse job? You have no idea how applicable that is to certain areas of software development.

But, keep in mind that as an Aspiring Developer you're shooting for entry-level stuff. You have a huge disadvantage (both real and imagined by hiring directors) to traditionally-educated developers so you'll either need to do time in the trenches at a crappy job for a bit, or find some way to distinguish yourself. Check out the Newbie Programming thread for general advice on getting into the industry.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Busy Bee posted:

I've been using LinkedIn to find potential job opportunities and found it to be a great tool. Have been able to get in touch with many people and have set up interviews as well. However, I noticed that there are a good amount of companies that do not advertise job listings on LinkedIn but I'll see their listings on Glassdoor and Indeed. Do you guys have any other websites that I could search for job listings besides LinkedIn, Glassdoor, and Indeed? Right now, I'm very interested in working in Europe as well so I'm aware of LinkedIn type sites such as Xing for the German market but I wonder if there are any other sites I could use.

Monster?

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
From personal experience it seems like programmer folk and high mba type folk get harassed by useful recruiters, and little to nothing else for the rest of us.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
x-post from resume thread:

Pro tip for those applying on a million corporate sites: LastPass

I've been doing some guerilla marketing for a product I'm trying to launch and LastPass fuckin rocks. I use all different passwords on these lovely insecure forums and it fills out forms for you. I remember job hunting in 2014 and this would have been super useful.

Sleepytime
Dec 21, 2004

two shots of happy, one shot of sad

Soiled Meat
Does anybody have experience with Creative Financial Staffing or other headhunter type companies? Most of the reviews I'm finding are about working for CFS, not how well they do placing candidates.

I'm finishing a finance MBA in August. My school has some career resources but hasn't been super helpful so far. I'm switching industries so my experience doesn't translate to what I'm looking to get into.

I'm at the point where I have the majority of my coursework done, but I've only completed 1 out of the 4 classes in the finance concentration. I'm looking to move to something slightly above entry level but most of the jobs I'm looking at are either entry level or looking for 3-5 years experience in finance. I'm kind of in between the two and not sure exactly what I should be looking for or how to approach job hunting.

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

From personal experience it seems like programmer folk and high mba type folk get harassed by useful recruiters, and little to nothing else for the rest of us.

This is my experience, too. Without the "developer" (or whatever it is called) industry selected in my jobs search, there is literally about 24 jobs worldwide showing up and I have 19 other industries selected. LinkedIn doesn't appear to do much in science, research and engineering. I tried premium a while back and got nothing from it, so maybe they are throttling results to get me to come back?

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
I have a friend who wants to emigrate from Australia to the greater Denver area of Colorado, and I'm wondering how to connect him with the right recruiter/companies there. He has a degree in chemical engineering and has worked in some large pharma companies already. His wife is American and (according to him) he can work in America legally. Are there any chemical engineering-centered hiring resources I could direct him to?

Sleepytime
Dec 21, 2004

two shots of happy, one shot of sad

Soiled Meat
The only thing I can find is American Institute of Chemical Engineers (AIChE). It looks like they have a Rocky Mountain section but it's hard to tell how active / helpful they'd be for your friend.

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

This dude sent me a message on Linkedin in September 2016 with a job description and salary range. I responded politely and told him the range was too low, but thanks anyway. No response at that time.

Today he sends me literally the same message copied and pasted, a year and a half later, same salary range.

Hmm yes, I'm the one with the attitude.

Mr Newsman
Nov 8, 2006
Did somebody say news?

Erwin posted:

This dude sent me a message on Linkedin in September 2016 with a job description and salary range. I responded politely and told him the range was too low, but thanks anyway. No response at that time.

Today he sends me literally the same message copied and pasted, a year and a half later, same salary range.

Hmm yes, I'm the one with the attitude.

You are the one with the attitude.

You can just ignore it or take three seconds to decline again. Like what would you possibly gain from telling him that? If you don't want to get contacted anymore I'm pretty sure there's a way to block them. For all that dude knows, your situation could have changed and you'd be interested now.

Hope that helps with your social media job hunting website profile usage.

qsvui
Aug 23, 2003
some crazy thing

Mr Newsman posted:

No reason it can't be both.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
This website loving sucks.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Can we have an attitude when it’s the same job a month later? Is that okay?

Bonus: it was a contract to hire job that had a $10,000 HDHP plan for $700 per month. I actually said in the exit survey that their insurance is a dumpster fire and an insult, because I would have to be pretty drat desperate to apply there again anyway.

Didn’t seem to get me on a blacklist, they’ve contacted me about other poo poo jobs since then.

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

Mr Newsman posted:

This is sort of fair. My post implied that only one of us had an attitude, but I definitely had an attitude. Guy had literally copied and pasted the same job description, salary range, and location at me. It's not like he took 10 seconds to read our message history and say "hey, I know you weren't interested before but wanted to check to see if anything has changed." He only took any effort once I called him out on his copy-paste shotgun spam, and it was to get all huffy about it because I was the one of a thousand people he sent that to that got annoyed by it.

To me a recruiter is a salesperson. I'm happily employed, and he's trying to sell me on the idea of looking elsewhere. You can't sell me something by spamming my inbox with the same copy-pasted wording after I've declined. That's obviously a privileged position with respect to recruiters, because not everyone is in demand in their field, but that's where I'm coming from. A salesperson that gets angry with a potential client is risking quite a bit.

There are good recruiters out there, but they're a small minority. Maybe this thread is supportive of recruiters or something? If so I apologize for insulting his zero-effort shotgun approach to leeching off the economy.

Mr Newsman
Nov 8, 2006
Did somebody say news?
Once I had a company recruiter contact me for a position that I had applied to already, interviewed at, and then been rejected for.

It was literally the week after I had received notice they went with a different candidate. I was pretty snarky to them and said something like 'hey you can send me an offer if you'd like, I'm still interested', but never heard back. I doubt it was because of my smart-rear end answer but who knows!

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
I don't even bother replying to recruiters unless the job is vaguely interesting. Most of the time they've obviously not even read my profile.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
Most recruiters I've worked with are pure garbage churn and burn types. But I had one recruiter who worked with me for a few years and got me good interviews. I actually felt bad when I found a job not through him.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

My LinkedIn invite list has 18 recruiters on it. I want to get out of my specific line of work in the near future so I should reach out to explore options with them, but I’m 99% sure all of them will send me opportunities for the exact type of job I’m in now.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Fhqwhgads posted:

Most recruiters I've worked with are pure garbage churn and burn types. But I had one recruiter who worked with me for a few years and got me good interviews. I actually felt bad when I found a job not through him.

This recruiter you're talking about sounds like a talent agency, but for, y'know... regular work.

I have yet to meet such a person, but I would absolutely love to.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Democratic Pirate posted:

My LinkedIn invite list has 18 recruiters on it. I want to get out of my specific line of work in the near future so I should reach out to explore options with them, but I’m 99% sure all of them will send me opportunities for the exact type of job I’m in now.

One reason to accept them is because they’re connected to other recruiters who are connected to yet more, so you’ll start showing up on searchers wider afield than you would have otherwise.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

You're really wasting your breath if you're complaining about a guy sending you a job you've already passed on months ago. They're not going to keep a spreadsheet of all the people who have seen a given job ever. Stop snapping at recruiters, it doesn't accomplish anything.

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

Trying linked in again... Should I put my lovely pay-the-bills survival retail job on my profile at all? I have a pretty big job gap without it and I don't know if it'd help with it. I have almost as much job gap as I do experience and I'm very Junior. I feel like my profile will look bad regardless. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you
Did a Udemy course last year that talked a lot about LinkedIn. They recommended making your LinkedIn be specifically for that particular job title that you want to get, and then putting only experience that is relevant to that job title in your profile. What do you guys think? Should I include tangentially relevant or even non-relevant experience on there? Or should I keep it all "on brand", so to speak, like the guy recommended?

• Locked thread