Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

HardDisk posted:

First of all, thanks HiroProtagonist for making this thread, knowing how to use LinkedIn looks like it is a great boon to your career, and with a very good OP to boot.

My question, for now, is:

I'm not in the US, and I want to focus (for now at least) on getting a job around my region, but I don't want to completely shut out any possibility of getting a job in a foreign country (I can dream, right? :allears:). Am I just over-thinking this and I should just go for adding foreign contacts or should I stick to local contacts? Also, should I add my information on my domestic language or should I just go for full-on English?

You may be over-thinking this. I don't know what your field is but within a day of joining groups on LinkedIn, I've seen a dozen overseas jobs posted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hitension
Feb 14, 2005

Hey guys, I learned Chinese so that I can write shame in another language
LinkedIn actually allows for multiple language versions of resumes, try that out.

Also, as for your second question, that all depends on which foreign country and what job function you're looking for... it's not like all non-US hiring is centralized.
edit: Misread, but point about each country being distinct is still valid

Parker Lewis
Jan 4, 2006

Can't Lose

What's the proper etiquette for sending a connect request to someone on LinkedIn who I don't know but I have a mutual connection with?

I found an employee at a local company that I'm interested in working for and I'm not a coworker, friend, etc. of hers. Should I send her a message first before I send a connect request? Or just fake it and list her as a friend?

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

I just selected friend and added whatever message. They'll more likely than not accept it.

Parker Lewis
Jan 4, 2006

Can't Lose

SaltLick posted:

I just selected friend and added whatever message. They'll more likely than not accept it.

I tried this and she accepted, thanks.

kathmandu
Jul 11, 2004

I recently entered into a business partnership that's more-or-less part time, but I'm still very much actively looking for a full-time, "career" type job. How should I make this clear on my profile?

sim
Sep 24, 2003

I don't know that you need to or even should try to make it clear you're looking for a job. From my experience, recruiters are looking for the most qualified candidates and don't care if they already have a full time job. Trying to passively promote the fact that you're only working part time is just going to seem like you aren't able to hold down a full time job. Per the advice in this thread, it works better to contact recruiters directly/privately and let them know you're looking.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Thanks for this thread and all the great advice posted so far.

Regarding the title line that shows up in search, currently I have my "ROLE with COMPANY" listed there but I am looking to take my newly minted bachelors degree into a completely new and unrelated job. Should I change my title line to something that reflects my education?

B.B.A. in Economics @ MTSU for those following along at home.

Matlock
Sep 12, 2004

Childs Play Charity 2011 Total: $1755
I'm not sure how, but two people that actually work in the stairmaking industry (in a factory right right down the road from me) and are not from SA are in the group now. That's kind of hilarious.

Edit: three.

Matlock fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Feb 22, 2013

kathmandu
Jul 11, 2004

Matlock posted:

I'm not sure how, but two people that actually work in the stairmaking industry (in a factory right right down the road from me) and are not from SA are in the group now. That's kind of hilarious.

I saw that. Time to fill the discussion board with horrible, incomprehensible, terrifying conversations :unsmigghh:

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

I can tell you how, because there was no verification on my part that the requests were actually coming from goons. Just figured that if you make a request you're a goon since SA is the only place I've ever posted the link.

Hell I thought I had it set to not even show in searches, so unless those stairmaking professionals click on the link in some goon's profile, or got the link by some other means, I don't think they could find it :confused:

KariOhki
Apr 22, 2008
I've got a question about recruitment agencies, basically how shady can they be? I had one contact me off of my profile on LinkedIn, set up an appointment to meet with them, and they want my resume in Word format. I don't like that format since it's more easily editable than other formats. My gut feeling says to cancel the appointment, but my gut gets me into trouble more often than not. Does anyone else have experience with the shadier recruiters, or tips they can share?

TouchyMcFeely
Aug 21, 2006

High five! Hell yeah!

I had no idea that was actually a thing.

I wonder if they saw the Stairmasters group and got all excited about networking with other stair making professionals?

edit: I wouldn't worry about submitting a resume in Word format. Even if they do edit it, what could they possibly do with it?

TouchyMcFeely fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Feb 22, 2013

kathmandu
Jul 11, 2004

KariOhki posted:

I've got a question about recruitment agencies, basically how shady can they be? I had one contact me off of my profile on LinkedIn, set up an appointment to meet with them, and they want my resume in Word format. I don't like that format since it's more easily editable than other formats. My gut feeling says to cancel the appointment, but my gut gets me into trouble more often than not. Does anyone else have experience with the shadier recruiters, or tips they can share?

I think this post from earlier applies here:

HiroProtagonist posted:

There's some good advice here. After you're initially contacted by a recruiter and they get you on the phone, it's absolutely worth asking if their recruiting agency is under contract to a client. Usually, a company sourcing for high-value or a large number of positions will contract one or more recruiting agencies to help fill the opening(s).

If a recruiter is contracted, it's a more reliable possibility to pursue; but by no means is it a given. Non-contract recruiters (aka "headhunters") will often throw everything against the wall and hope it sticks. This means that headhunters will not hesitate to throw you under the bus in favor of another candidate if it gets them a commission.

It should be said that headhunters can, and will, source for high-value positions, and I'm sure that more than one person has a story where they landed an amazing job because of a headhunter. However, treat that as the exception, rather than the rule. When dealing with non-contract recruiters, cover your own rear end first.

The non-contract recruiters are likely the ones who are gonna screw with your .doc resume. If the recruiter is working for the employer, obviously they don't gain anything by sending them people who aren't a good fit for the job.

kathmandu
Jul 11, 2004

sim posted:

I don't know that you need to or even should try to make it clear you're looking for a job. From my experience, recruiters are looking for the most qualified candidates and don't care if they already have a full time job. Trying to passively promote the fact that you're only working part time is just going to seem like you aren't able to hold down a full time job. Per the advice in this thread, it works better to contact recruiters directly/privately and let them know you're looking.

Cool. Should I be concerned at all about giving the appearance that I'm looking for a job immediately after landing one? I don't want to give the impression that I'm some ruthless merc. Do you figure that's something I can just explain once in contact, or is there another technique I could use to mitigate that image?

KariOhki
Apr 22, 2008

kathmandu posted:

The non-contract recruiters are likely the ones who are gonna screw with your .doc resume. If the recruiter is working for the employer, obviously they don't gain anything by sending them people who aren't a good fit for the job.

We had the first phone call this morning, so I wasn't able to ask them then. Might as well ask in the email reply they want me to send. It's Workbridge Associates, if that tells you anything -- they seem to be the bottom of the barrel. Then again I do want to get myself out of retail...

kathmandu
Jul 11, 2004

KariOhki posted:

We had the first phone call this morning, so I wasn't able to ask them then. Might as well ask in the email reply they want me to send. It's Workbridge Associates, if that tells you anything -- they seem to be the bottom of the barrel. Then again I do want to get myself out of retail...

The worst case scenario, I suppose, is they set you up with an interview for a job you're not qualified for. :shrug:

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

I wouldn't worry about sending it in word format. Pretty much what they do is delete your personal information and replace it wit their agencies info. Depending on the position you are gunning for If you get hired you are technically an employee of the agency that's contracted out to whomever. Right now I'm more or less a full time permanent temp worker.

kathmandu
Jul 11, 2004

SaltLick posted:

I wouldn't worry about sending it in word format. Pretty much what they do is delete your personal information and replace it wit their agencies info. Depending on the position you are gunning for If you get hired you are technically an employee of the agency that's contracted out to whomever. Right now I'm more or less a full time permanent temp worker.

I forget where I saw the thread, but I read something on here a couple months ago about unscrupulous headhunters taking the .doc resumes of programmers and putting languages and qualifications the candidate in no way had into their resume. It had something to do with the headhunter getting paid by the referral/interview as opposed to getting paid for actually sending qualified candidates. From what I gather, it's not a common problem, but it does happen.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
Couple questions: How do you find recruiters?
Second, how do you handle making 3rd degree connections, what's the best way to phrase the request?

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Stultus Maximus posted:

They find you.

ProFootballGuy
Nov 6, 2012

by angerbot

Thoguh posted:

They find you.
Yes, but to expand a bit more: make connections with other people in your industry, with similar jobs or the job you want to have. Figure out what keywords appear a lot. You can also look at some job descriptions/openings on company websites and include the keywords listed in the job descriptions. Once you have a critical mass of 2nd and 3rd degree connections, the recruiter spam floodgates will open.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

ProFootballGuy posted:

Yes, but to expand a bit more: make connections with other people in your industry, with similar jobs or the job you want to have. Figure out what keywords appear a lot. You can also look at some job descriptions/openings on company websites and include the keywords listed in the job descriptions. Once you have a critical mass of 2nd and 3rd degree connections, the recruiter spam floodgates will open.

This guy read the OP.

Stultus Maximus posted:

Second, how do you handle making 3rd degree connections, what's the best way to phrase the request?

You should read the OP. :)

No seriously, there's a ton of info in there and my suggestions for doing just that. Most connections you'll be making are going to be 3rd degree, it's the nature of how exponential growth works.

kathmandu posted:

I forget where I saw the thread, but I read something on here a couple months ago about unscrupulous headhunters taking the .doc resumes of programmers and putting languages and qualifications the candidate in no way had into their resume. It had something to do with the headhunter getting paid by the referral/interview as opposed to getting paid for actually sending qualified candidates. From what I gather, it's not a common problem, but it does happen.

Haven't heard about this myself, but I wouldn't put it past anyone.

However, this is probably more likely in a bullish (i.e. growth) economy, and if I had to guess I'd suspect that this idea comes from the late 90's. In the current economic climate, I don't think you'll have to worry about that sort of thing. Recruiters are happy enough to fill the jobs that are available. Outside of any specific circumstances, they don't need to deal with placing an oversupply of underqualified people.

Note that my experience comes from a major metropolitan area. It's quite possible for that not to be the case elsewhere (at least within the continental US).

Point is though, don't assume any malicious intent if you don't have any obvious reason to.

SaltLick posted:

Absolutely right; this is in my experience the only real reason any recruiter wants your resume in .doc.

This is a Good Thing (tm). It means they're putting their corporate header on your resume to send to a client.

KariOhki posted:

See the above; wrote it for you primarily.

zmcnulty posted:

I can tell you how, because there was no verification on my part that the requests were actually coming from goons. Just figured that if you make a request you're a goon since SA is the only place I've ever posted the link.

Hell I thought I had it set to not even show in searches, so unless those stairmaking professionals click on the link in some goon's profile, or got the link by some other means, I don't think they could find it :confused:

Matlock posted:

I was going to clear out the group of these few people, because it doesn't benefit SA or these innocent professionals to be in this group.

Just to clarify:

:siren: If anyone is an SA member and legitimately involved in the stair(-manufacturing) industry, please PM or email me some time this weekend (contact info in the OP)and let me know. If you get purged accidentally, just re-apply and I'll re-add you. :siren:

Sorry in advance to anyone affected; making sure groups are relevant is a big part of what makes Linkedin a successful job-hunting method. Also, the longer they bystanders are in the group, the less effective the group visibility settings are, and the more likely we're going to see more of that happening. This is because any 1st degree connection can see all of the groups that connection is in, which bypasses the search restrictions.

Matlock
Sep 12, 2004

Childs Play Charity 2011 Total: $1755
The only guys I know of are all employed by L.J. Smith.

I drive past that place every day. Perhaps for Goon Tradition, I should take a picture of their building :v:

RTB
Sep 19, 2004

kathmandu posted:

The worst case scenario, I suppose, is they set you up with an interview for a job you're not qualified for. :shrug:

Looks like I missed the discussions about recruiters – But I wanted to add that this is not the worst that can happen.

You need to tell all recruiters flat out NOT to send your resume to any company without your prior consent, preferably in writing. Especially when you are working with multiple recruiters. I always write that in the email when I send the resume.

It all comes down to the way these recruiters are paid. They get money if they’re the first person to send your resume to the company. There are some less reputable recruiters who will just shotgun your resume out for any position for which you’re even remotely qualified. You don’t realize it at the time, but it can be a problem later on.

Let’s say you’re at an event and meet a friend’s mom who happens to be looking for someone to hire for your dream job. She invites you in for an interview and it goes great. Then you get a call a few days later saying they can’t hire you because you ‘already applied’ and they aren’t willing to pay a recruiter’s commission for that position. That recruiter didn’t do any work for you, but they just screwed you out of a great job.

Feral Bueller
Apr 23, 2004

Fun is important.
Nap Ghost
Great thread. LI has been a great tool for me.

Additional thoughts:

- Use the custom URL tool: it's really helpful to have something non-generic in the URL.
- Put a picture up that looks professional. People respond better.
- It's a social networking tool - be socialable; it's not Facebook.

Here's my LI profile for review/critique: http://www.linkedin.com/in/johnmahercsm/

Request submitted to Stairmasters group.

There is also the Ticketmaster's group, but that's more specific to SH/SC and hasn't been active in over a year: http://www.linkedin.com/groups?gid=3663887

Feral Bueller fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Mar 16, 2013

econdroidbot
Mar 1, 2008

AS USELESS AS A HAT FULL OF BUSTED ASSHOLES
I've taken some of the great advice in this thread and am starting to see results. Over the past week I have added ~40 new connections, and now I'm starting to build momentum. A few recruiters have contacted me, and I am in the early stages of interviewing for a new job. One of the best things for exposure was joining new groups and actually participating in them. Got a lot of profile views/connections that way.

Thanks again for making this thread!

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

I found a position that is really up my alley.

With no connections there, I found a contract recruiter for the company and just sent them an invitation noting I was interested in the company and current opportunities. The job was initially posted on 12/15 but is still up and I'm getting antsy. Should I directly apply while waiting for the recruiter? I feel like the recruiter may not like that because they might not be able to say they discovered me. Cool my jets and wait a couple days, if no response then apply direct?

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Suffer not the lobbyist to live.
If it's a contract recruiter, they'll dump you if they know you've already applied.

Applying directly means the company doesn't have to pay a commission if they hire you. It's cheaper for them, gives you a better stance for negotiation, and it's more likely that they'll hire you over someone else if they're considering you and a contract-recruiter person.

But..

You have to go through the usual HR hoops and potentially get screened out before a human looks at your resume. Recruiters get your resume seen.

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

The company is small enough to be a direct e-mail application procedure, so if the only bonus is being seen then I'm not sure if I using a recruiter would be worthwhile.

Fame Throwa
Nov 3, 2007

Time to make all the decisions!

HiroProtagonist posted:

It depends on the industry you're in. Can you elaborate?

Education. To be specific, I'm looking for jobs in libraries. It doesn't help that even when I look for connections locally, I've had a lot of trouble finding contacts in my field because most of the people I've worked with don't use LinkedIn.

Dead Pressed
Nov 11, 2009
My wife made a funny comment today addressing the fact that I am addicted to LinkedIn, more or less. I've got some job stability issues (operating conditions, not job performance), so I've been browsing jobs, making connections with peers (coworkers and kids I went to school with) and what not. I'm really impressed with the functionality of the site. Not only have I applied for a few posted jobs on the site, but I have been reached out to by a recruiter or two---went through the process, and was told I was the number one candidate before the posting was closed due to budgetary concerns (ugh). I'm really excited by the opportunities presented here.

One question I do have---I applied for ONE job through LinkedIn rather than through the company's website. My wife, who works (loosely defined) as a 3rd party employment expert believes that was a bad move. I didn't think much of it, myself, as I've got a peer (IRL) who works for the company that I've already reached out to for thoughts on the job. Any thoughts here?

Dead Pressed fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Feb 25, 2013

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

econdroidbot posted:

I've taken some of the great advice in this thread and am starting to see results. Over the past week I have added ~40 new connections, and now I'm starting to build momentum. A few recruiters have contacted me, and I am in the early stages of interviewing for a new job. One of the best things for exposure was joining new groups and actually participating in them. Got a lot of profile views/connections that way.

Thanks again for making this thread!

I'm glad to see posts like this. Would you mind if I added this testimonial to the OP? I'm planning on having a section devoted to them, much like similar threads.

Crazyweasel posted:

I found a position that is really up my alley.

With no connections there, I found a contract recruiter for the company and just sent them an invitation noting I was interested in the company and current opportunities. The job was initially posted on 12/15 but is still up and I'm getting antsy. Should I directly apply while waiting for the recruiter? I feel like the recruiter may not like that because they might not be able to say they discovered me. Cool my jets and wait a couple days, if no response then apply direct?

Get in touch with the recruiter personally via email about this specific opportunity; if they don't respond within a week, tops, then go ahead and apply directly.

It's better if you call the recruiter too. You might get caught in a call screen, but it's better than hanging around for an email reply.

The attitude you should have is "it's the recruiter's job to propose me for this position; if they're not getting the job done, then it's my responsibility to do what I can in my own best interests."

Crazyweasel posted:

The company is small enough to be a direct e-mail application procedure, so if the only bonus is being seen then I'm not sure if I using a recruiter would be worthwhile.

Honestly, direct email applications are worthless. The best way to get a job offer is always going to be to make personal connections. You need to speak to real people, whether via email or phone, or you might as well be throwing darts blindfolded. You'll have no way to get feedback otherwise.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Dead Pressed posted:

One question I do have---I applied for ONE job through LinkedIn rather than through the company's website. My wife, who works (loosely defined) as a 3rd party employment expert believes that was a bad move. I didn't think much of it, myself. Any thoughts here?

Not sure what you mean here. The only job applications available through Linkedin go directly to a corporate site for those types of things. Do you mean as opposed to going through a recruiter?

Dead Pressed
Nov 11, 2009

HiroProtagonist posted:

Not sure what you mean here. The only job applications available through Linkedin go directly to a corporate site for those types of things. Do you mean as opposed to going through a recruiter?

No. It was interesting, really. The posting went through Linkedin, then through simplyhired (never heard of it), which interfaced with their website. Much of my information was automatically pulled from the LinkedIn account, I just had to upload the resume and cover letter. Like I said, I wasn't really worried, but my wife is afraid they could tell I went through LinkedIn as opposed to their direct website. I figured I'd go through LinkedIn just to get their link a hit to show the efficacy of the site. :dunno: Any way you slice it, I set up and account on their site, so I figured 6 one way, 1/2 dozen the other...

Just wanted to make sure I wasn't off my rocker...

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007
I wouldn't be worried. Applying via one automated method often works out to be the same as if you applied via another automated method.

Try and get in touch directly with someone who works at that company and see if you can get them to forward you to an in-house recruitment professional. Best way to do that would probably be via Linkedin messaging.

e: and SimplyHired is definitely a legit job posting site if you were concerned about that too.

econdroidbot
Mar 1, 2008

AS USELESS AS A HAT FULL OF BUSTED ASSHOLES

HiroProtagonist posted:

I'm glad to see posts like this. Would you mind if I added this testimonial to the OP? I'm planning on having a section devoted to them, much like similar threads.

Go right ahead! Thanks to this thread my goal of a new job by April 1st seems reasonable.

Dr. Mix
Jan 21, 2005

He's under a lot of stress alright?
OP This thread has been such a boon for me! This is really the first time I've felt empowered during my job hunt. So far I have completely revamped my profile and sent a few connect requests. I am trying to get to 100% completion as soon as possible.

Is there anything wrong with picking recruits by what city they are listed in? I am basically looking for a change in scenery and I want to limit my opportunities to only big cities. So far I search "recruit" in a group's member list and then I only send connections to recruiters in cities I would like to live in.

Omgbees
Nov 30, 2012

HiroProtagonist posted:

I wouldn't be worried. Applying via one automated method often works out to be the same as if you applied via another automated method.

Try and get in touch directly with someone who works at that company and see if you can get them to forward you to an in-house recruitment professional. Best way to do that would probably be via Linkedin messaging.

e: and SimplyHired is definitely a legit job posting site if you were concerned about that too.

I wouldn't be worried either, as long as the info on your linkedin is correct it is what your resume would look like after a "recruiter" has fed it into their system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Night Gaunt
Jan 9, 2007

Do employers expect to see our entire job history listed on our profile? I've only added jobs in the industry I'd like to continue working in, but now it looks like there are major gaps in my job history. In this economy, I've had to work some lovely temp jobs that I'd rather not list if I don't have to. Will this drive recruiters away?

• Locked thread