Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Are they paid?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pertplus
Nov 7, 2009

Yes

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Pertplus posted:

I have like 13 traffic tickets that show up on my background check (dumb, I know). Is this something employers care about?

I had this + a street racing arrest. I played it off as I am an engineer's engineer and I got them in the course of building cool stuff.

Pertplus
Nov 7, 2009

Did they ask about it or did you bring it up?

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Pertplus posted:

Did they ask about it or did you bring it up?

I think I brought it up in most if not all cases. Criminal charges are always asked about on whatever applications I'd fill out.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Pertplus posted:

I have like 13 traffic tickets that show up on my background check (dumb, I know). Is this something employers care about?

One of my managers at my first job had about twice that many. You can play it off as youthful indiscretion and you'll be fine.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

I couldn't have found this thread at a better time. 6 months unemployed, unemployment's running out this week, and all I've been able to get is warehouse work through a temp agency so far. I've created a LI account and am working on filling it out now.

Under the skills and endorsements section, what's the deal with endorsements? Why would I want or need them? Will I be fine if I turn off that part and just fill in what I can do? Also, let's say I want to include that I'm good at troubleshooting issues. Should I put down that I can do "troubleshooting", "electrical troubleshooting", "electro-mechanical troubleshooting", "computer hardware troubleshooting", and "electronic troubleshooting", or would I be fine picking one of those? Considering I can have a list of 50 skills, I'm inclined to load it up with all of the even modestly relevant skill listings.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

neogeo0823 posted:

I couldn't have found this thread at a better time. 6 months unemployed, unemployment's running out this week, and all I've been able to get is warehouse work through a temp agency so far. I've created a LI account and am working on filling it out now.

Under the skills and endorsements section, what's the deal with endorsements? Why would I want or need them? Will I be fine if I turn off that part and just fill in what I can do? Also, let's say I want to include that I'm good at troubleshooting issues. Should I put down that I can do "troubleshooting", "electrical troubleshooting", "electro-mechanical troubleshooting", "computer hardware troubleshooting", and "electronic troubleshooting", or would I be fine picking one of those? Considering I can have a list of 50 skills, I'm inclined to load it up with all of the even modestly relevant skill listings.

The general consensus thus far is that the endorsements don't do much.

I have a totally unproven theory that they basically make you rank higher for those search terms when other people endorse you, particularly people linkedin may deem credible through some proprietary algorithm. (If it doesn't work that way LinkedIn is stupid)

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Load it up, get people who woked with you to say "I used to work with him and he used that skill and was really good at it"

I have a small business and I like endorsements with comments as an indicator that someone isn't a dick to work with if their (ex-)coworkers went out of their way to say something positive that isn't blindly reciprocal. That's really important in a small company.

It isn't so much about what you chose to call the skill or even so much what it is, that should be evident from elsewhere on your profile or job history or we'll get to it in your cover letter about why you think you fit the job.

Of course, I'm sure that for big companies there will be "Apply Through LinkedIn" jobs that will scan those skills to give a % match to a job description, or recruiters will pull your profile and run it through their own software and the skill list will be a particular proportion of the final match score.

But this whole post is entirely speculative and subjective

simplefish fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Nov 4, 2016

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Yea I think the recommendations are the thing you'd want to try and get rather than just the endorsements. I liken endorsements to liking someones facebook status.

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010
I signed up for LinkedIn ages ago and pretty much just added my company and job title.

I plan on dipping my toe in the LinkedIn job market in a couple of weeks when I finish this project (I'm abroad and a bit busy so when I get back is ideal)

My question is, seeing as my profile is pretty much blank, and suddenly I am going to spam the ___ out of it, is my employer likely to knock on my door so to speak- is there an etiquette to doing this subtly?

I guess I am not going to connect with recruiters too hastily but I will probably join groups if that's where the job boards are most active.

I plan to leave in the new year, even if my employer came in and said have £x extra, I would take it of course but ultimately the work is not unfulfilling so I'm on my way soon either way.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

angry armadillo posted:

I signed up for LinkedIn ages ago and pretty much just added my company and job title.

I plan on dipping my toe in the LinkedIn job market in a couple of weeks when I finish this project (I'm abroad and a bit busy so when I get back is ideal)

My question is, seeing as my profile is pretty much blank, and suddenly I am going to spam the ___ out of it, is my employer likely to knock on my door so to speak- is there an etiquette to doing this subtly?

I guess I am not going to connect with recruiters too hastily but I will probably join groups if that's where the job boards are most active.

I plan to leave in the new year, even if my employer came in and said have £x extra, I would take it of course but ultimately the work is not unfulfilling so I'm on my way soon either way.

You probably massively overestimate the amount of attention anyone at your company pays to your LinkedIn. That said, you can always disable the "update my network of profile changes". I do this even though I love my job currently.

OmNom
Dec 31, 2003

I make a damn tasty cookie. https://bit.ly/rgjqfw
I would like to find a better way to spin my non-traditional job experience. I spent the majority of the recession building my own natural product start-up and reached some success, unfortunately, I did have to close down in 2014. During that time I worked nights as a fine dining server to pay the bills and remained in the industry since I shut my company down. My experience is varied across several industries, but the unifying theme is management, food, and product development and sales - I am having little success with the job hunt and pivoting back into a more career orientated track.

I'm connecting with recruiters, joined stairmasters, and getting my industry connections to write me real letters of recommendation and introducing me to relevant contacts. I would appreciate some constructive feedback about my profile,I can PM you a link.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
Sent you a PM

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

OmNom posted:

I would like to find a better way to spin my non-traditional job experience. I spent the majority of the recession building my own natural product start-up and reached some success, unfortunately, I did have to close down in 2014. During that time I worked nights as a fine dining server to pay the bills and remained in the industry since I shut my company down. My experience is varied across several industries, but the unifying theme is management, food, and product development and sales - I am having little success with the job hunt and pivoting back into a more career orientated track.

I'm connecting with recruiters, joined stairmasters, and getting my industry connections to write me real letters of recommendation and introducing me to relevant contacts. I would appreciate some constructive feedback about my profile,I can PM you a link.

-I have never said this so harshly before but...your picture makes you look like a tremendous, though squarejawed, douchebag. You should have a professional LinkedIn photo. Doesn't have to be suit and tie but that's what I'd suggest if yorue selling yourself on once being titled a director.
Unrelated: Why are your hands so big? You should stop restauranting and take up choking people.
Related: Take your hands out of your photo.
-Change the dates around so being a manager appears above server. Rather than talk about what your tasking was, make it clear how your accomplishments got you promoted from being a server to a manager.
-Being a server and a "director of sales" doesn't gel. If I see someone who is a director of something and becomes a server I am assuming the director is a straight up lie or totally incongruous with the responsibilities befitting a "director" of anything.
-Your description of your accomplishments as a "director" is good, it's a shame you left that to wait tables.
-How you describe your unifying theme and how I perceive you from your LinkedIn is incongruous. I dont understand how waiting tables, no matter how fancy the restaurant, is related to the accomplishments of a business negotiator which is the theme of your sales director position.
-There some capitalization errors in your event coordinator role. You also used the phrase director in this title as well which I find suspicious because of the server thing. Non-profit experience is good I think, especially in the area you live in.

EDIT: Someone whose background is an BA and not science/engineering should PM him, I am curious if a person more in line with the roles he wants go get would perceive the profile the same way.

CarForumPoster fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Dec 7, 2016

OmNom
Dec 31, 2003

I make a damn tasty cookie. https://bit.ly/rgjqfw

CarForumPoster posted:

1) -I have never said this so harshly before but...your picture makes you look like a tremendous, though squarejawed, douchebag. You should have a professional LinkedIn photo. Doesn't have to be suit and tie but that's what I'd suggest if yorue selling yourself on once being titled a director.
1a) - Unrelated: Why are your hands so big? You should stop restauranting and take up choking people.
Related: Take your hands out of your photo.
2) -Change the dates around so being a manager appears above server. Rather than talk about what your tasking was, make it clear how your accomplishments got you promoted from being a server to a manager.
3) -Being a server and a "director of sales" doesn't gel. If I see someone who is a director of something and becomes a server I am assuming the director is a straight up lie or totally incongruous with the responsibilities befitting a "director" of anything.
3) -Your description of your accomplishments as a "director" is good, it's a shame you left that to wait tables.
4) -How you describe your unifying theme and how I perceive you from your LinkedIn is incongruous. I dont understand how waiting tables, no matter how fancy the restaurant, is related to the accomplishments of a business negotiator which is the theme of your sales director position.
5) -There some capitalization errors in your event coordinator role. You also used the phrase director in this title as well which I find suspicious because of the server thing. Non-profit experience is good I think, especially in the area you live in.

EDIT: Someone whose background is a BA and not science/engineering should PM him, I am curious if a person more in line with the roles he wants go get would perceive the profile the same way.

1) Honesty is never harsh, it made me laugh. When you are right, well you are right. I promptly replaced the photo with a more appropriate placeholder.
1a) I used to run a dojo, so I did choke people for a living.
2) I can flip the dates for the going into management, restaurant management is a poor life decision. It is half the pay for twice the work.
3) I waited tables for a night job because I enjoyed the industry. When the company I worked for went under I struggled to find work and I went back to serving. Beyond that I was burned out and wanted to take a mental vacation, which is now an extended one.
4) Would it be feasible leaving out the restaurant experience, it seems like it would create a rather glaring hole in my work timeline.
5) It was a volunteer position, but I ran the Orange County branch for the time I noted. That was my title.

I can 86 the serving stuff, and make myself look way less douchy; I'll go back over the profile and fill in some more specific metrics for the higher up positions. Thanks for the feedback.

OmNom fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Dec 7, 2016

Testikles
Feb 22, 2009
Is it better to have a whole bunch of skills with no endorsements or not to have the skills listed at all? I feel like the lack of endorsements raises questions about my capabilities.

Testikles fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Jan 4, 2017

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Endorsements are useless. The equivalent of Facebook liking. You want personal recommendations if possible

Testikles
Feb 22, 2009

George H.W. oval office posted:

Endorsements are useless. The equivalent of Facebook liking. You want personal recommendations if possible

Even harder to come by. Is there a graceful way of asking people to recommend me or should I just hope for the magic to happen?

orange sky
May 7, 2007

Testikles posted:

Even harder to come by. Is there a graceful way of asking people to recommend me or should I just hope for the magic to happen?

One day, when I want to actively search for a new job, I'll mass e-mail my colleagues asking for such a review. gently caress their comfort, gently caress my grace, I'll need a job.

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

Stupid questions: any advice for setting up LI if you aren't looking for another job? I'm pretty happy where I'm at, but our marketing person was aghast I am not on LI. They offered to take care of it for me, but not sure about that, based on other work I've seen.

Does it look weird to be a late-joiner? My boss is worried clients will think company is in the shitter if senior management starts building LI profiles at the same time.

Should you build connections with coworkers? Our younger set is on there, just us old farts who have been resisting. I know it isn't a friend and family thing.

Set up a Gmail account just for this? Or is there not too much inbox filtering to manage? My regular work account gets about 10 items a week "so and so wants to connect" and that is no big deal.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

pumped up for school posted:

Stupid questions: any advice for setting up LI if you aren't looking for another job? I'm pretty happy where I'm at, but our marketing person was aghast I am not on LI. They offered to take care of it for me, but not sure about that, based on other work I've seen.

Does it look weird to be a late-joiner? My boss is worried clients will think company is in the shitter if senior management starts building LI profiles at the same time.

Should you build connections with coworkers? Our younger set is on there, just us old farts who have been resisting. I know it isn't a friend and family thing.

Set up a Gmail account just for this? Or is there not too much inbox filtering to manage? My regular work account gets about 10 items a week "so and so wants to connect" and that is no big deal.

I quite like my current employer/job and still keep my LI up to date. You never know when you may need to reach out to the right person to get something done or when you meet someone at a conference or something that may end up working for/with you. All industries tend to be "small worlds"

Its not weird to be a late joiner. No client is going to look and see how much of top management has a LI older than XXXX date.

I like to connect with coworkers and my whole management chain.

I don't get tons of emails from them. That said I would make all that poo poo private.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

I've been in touch with a career counselor (because I'm pretty clueless when it comes to networking), but a few things she said didn't seem quite right.

First of all, she recommended contacting IT professionals (my specialty is data storage) and just inviting them out to socialize/coffee. This seems weird - cold-calling random IT dudes to hang out? Even if she meant contacting IT recruiters, it still seems weird and awkward. I'm aware that I'm a bit of an introvert, but this just seems like it would be more off-putting than anything else. I could be wrong, though!

She also mentioned removing the "Currently Seeking Opportunities" section of my LinkedIn profile - the logic was that recruiters or HR people will already know that I'm looking for work. If I send them my resume directly, then sure, they'll know - but what about everyone else? Also, removing the "Currently Seeking Opportunities" section knocks my profile down in rating, which can't be good.

For background info, my job was outsourced at the end of October, so I don't have to worry about managers seeing my profile or whatnot. So does she have some sort of hidden wisdom that I'm not seeing, or should I look for another career counselor?

Positive Optimyst
Oct 25, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Quick LinkedIn question here, folks.

I used "Resume to Interviews" 3 years ago through the poster here, and I've been emailing R2I support to enquire about their LInkedIn service update for returning customers.

No replies.

Anyone keeping in touch with them?

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

1) Don't use them as the original guy sold it off a while ago and is now staffed by...far less competent people
2) Especially don't do any sort of LinkedIn service as all it will do is copy/paste your resume, add you to some groups, and pick what they think is the best of a group of photos you submit. My girlfriend did it and it was a huge waste.

Just look through the OP and you'll figure it out.

Positive Optimyst
Oct 25, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

George H.W. oval office posted:

1) Don't use them as the original guy sold it off a while ago and is now staffed by...far less competent people
2) Especially don't do any sort of LinkedIn service as all it will do is copy/paste your resume, add you to some groups, and pick what they think is the best of a group of photos you submit. My girlfriend did it and it was a huge waste.

Just look through the OP and you'll figure it out.

George H. W,

Thank you very much for this info.

I will not use them, and when I tried to do only a LinkedIn update, they make it mandatotry to do another resume upgrade which I do not need. That put the price at $237. No dice.

I think I can my upgrade and update my LinkedIn page on my own as you note and I'll study the OP and posts here carefully, as well as google.

Also, I want my LinkedIn page to NOT be limited to ONE particular type of job - if this is possible.

Thanks for your information on this.

Another quick question to you and all:

Is it necessary to pay premium for a Premium LinkedIn page for a brief time, when you try to switch fields as I am doing?

Positive Optimyst fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Jan 15, 2017

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Positive Optimyst posted:

George H. W,

Thank you very much for this info.

I will not use them, and when I tried to do only a LinkedIn update, they make it mandatotry to do another resume upgrade which I do not need. That put the price at $237. No dice.

I think I can my upgrade and update my LinkedIn page on my own as you note and I'll study the OP and posts here carefully, as well as google.

Also, I want my LinkedIn page to NOT be limited to ONE particular type of job - if this is possible.

Thanks for your information on this.

Another quick question to you and all:

Is it necessary to pay premium for a Premium LinkedIn page for a brief time, when you try to switch fields as I am doing?

This is just IMO as LinkedIn search engine optimization doesn't seem to be a well documented topic and is likely evolving like normal SEO but it will be hard to optimize your profile to rank in searches for two types of jobs. From what I can tell, if you want to rank for "Burger Cook" the way to do it is have a bunch of jobs with that title and have your current title be that with the phrase burger cook used in a variety of places. Then of course you'd join a bunch of groups related to burger cooking and add a bunch of recruiters in the burger industry.

You can see then why it is hard to rank for both Burger Cook and Fry Specialist. The groups and recruiters probably overlap, but you wont rank in those recruiter searches because your profile doesnt say "fry specialist" anywhere.

Positive Optimyst
Oct 25, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

CarForumPoster posted:

This is just IMO as LinkedIn search engine optimization doesn't seem to be a well documented topic and is likely evolving like normal SEO but it will be hard to optimize your profile to rank in searches for two types of jobs. From what I can tell, if you want to rank for "Burger Cook" the way to do it is have a bunch of jobs with that title and have your current title be that with the phrase burger cook used in a variety of places. Then of course you'd join a bunch of groups related to burger cooking and add a bunch of recruiters in the burger industry.

You can see then why it is hard to rank for both Burger Cook and Fry Specialist. The groups and recruiters probably overlap, but you wont rank in those recruiter searches because your profile doesnt say "fry specialist" anywhere.

Thank you, Car Forum,

I understand. You make sense. That's logical.

You note this:

quote:

have a bunch of jobs with that title and have your current title

You mean "Burger Cook" in my profile? Not my actual Resume.

Actual resumes do not appear on LinkedIn correct?

Just profile descriptions, prior certifications, educations, and groups.

Correct?

I do not want my full and complete resume on LinkedIn.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Thank you, Car Forum, I understand. You make sense. That's logical.

You mean "Burger Cook" in my profile? Not my actual Resume.

Actual resumes do not appear on LinkedIn correct?

Just profile descriptions, prior certifications, educations, and groups.

Correct?

I do not want my full and complete resume on LinkedIn.

Dear Positive, You write in an interesting prose.

Correct.

It is your choice about what to put on your LinkedIn profile.

If it doesnt jive with your resume it may arouse suspicion.

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

Another stupid question. My profile is pretty bleak, but then when I started adding publications it went up to "expert" and is 85% is percent complete, by the bubble. I didn't even have any connections yet.

Is this normal? Should I just cut those out?

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Another stupid question. My profile is pretty bleak, but then when I started adding publications it went up to "expert" and is 85% is percent complete, by the bubble. I didn't even have any connections yet.

Is this normal? Should I just cut those out?

Why would you cut publications? They make you look smert

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

CarForumPoster posted:

Why would you cut publications? They make you look smert

It just looks silly, I guess. Like 20 of them, with no connections. Someone accept me to the stairmasters group (sent request last night) so I can spam you all with my smerts connections.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

It just looks silly, I guess. Like 20 of them, with no connections. Someone accept me to the stairmasters group (sent request last night) so I can spam you all with my smerts connections.

I'd leave your pubs up and just add rando's.

PM'd you me. If you add youre my 1000th connection. Congrats.

Positive Optimyst
Oct 25, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

CarForumPoster posted:

Dear Positive, You write in an interesting prose.

Correct.

It is your choice about what to put on your LinkedIn profile.

If it doesnt jive with your resume it may arouse suspicion.

Thanks for the response.

My LinkedIn profile is honest as well as my resume.

But I don't wan't either to be too limited into the "Education industry" because I'm going to be looking for work in other fields (from non-profit to policy type things).

My prose is interesting?

Testikles
Feb 22, 2009

Thanks for the response.

My LinkedIn profile is honest as well as my resume.

But I don't wan't either to be too limited into the "Education industry" because I'm going to be looking for work in other fields (from non-profit to policy type things).

My prose is interesting?

Yes. Not to derail the thread or anything, but it sounds robotic. I'll wager that English is not your first language, so it lacks 'personality.' That and you tend to space out every separate thought, and you addressed the poster above you before beginning your reply. It's not how we usually format our posts. It sounds like you're writing an e-mail to everybody. There's nothing wrong with it per se, it just sounds unnatural.

Also how do you get yourself added to the stairmasters group? Do I have to PM one of you first? I tried joining a long time ago and haven't heard back.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Testikles posted:

Also how do you get yourself added to the stairmasters group? Do I have to PM one of you first? I tried joining a long time ago and haven't heard back.

Same here - do I need to do a thing?

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.
I got an interview (Wed.) through a listing on LinkedIn, and it went really well. I sent a follow-up email the day after (Thurs., yesterday), and the HR person thanked me for it and sent it ahead to my interviewers.

They had let me know they'd be making a decision next week, but I got an email this morning that reads:

Dear Red,

The leadership team will decide on next steps in about 2 weeks from today.

Have a great weekend!

- HR Dude from LinkedIn

I interpret that as they're meeting with other candidates.

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal
Just applied for the Stairmasters group, mostly because I may or may not have insights on how some of the stuff at LinkedIn works.

Positive Optimyst
Oct 25, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Testikles posted:

Yes. Not to derail the thread or anything, but it sounds robotic. I'll wager that English is not your first language, so it lacks 'personality.' That and you tend to space out every separate thought, and you addressed the poster above you before beginning your reply. It's not how we usually format our posts. It sounds like you're writing an e-mail to everybody. There's nothing wrong with it per se, it just sounds unnatural.

Cheers for the honest feedback Testikles,

Actually, :), I'm a full native speaker and have written articles for magazine and newspapers.

I have over 100K+ posts on forums also.

I think my writing may come off as odd because when I post I'm in a hurry and multi-tasking.

As for Stairmasters, if you're not added I'll approve you, but I haven't checked out this gorup on a llooonng time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

A couple quick questions:

1. Should I put scholarships in my profile?
2. If my grad school GPA is good (4.0) but my undergrad GPA is bad (2.8) should I advertise, one, both, or none?

• Locked thread