Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

The Wiggly Wizard posted:

A couple quick questions:

1. Should I put scholarships in my profile?
2. If my grad school GPA is good (4.0) but my undergrad GPA is bad (2.8) should I advertise, one, both, or none?

I can't recall ever seeing GPAs of any kind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Nobody cares what your GPA was, in any situation, ever. It's generally an indicator of lack of experience if you put it on a resume/profile, no matter how high it is just forget about it, noone cares.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

If you do have a lack of experience, it makes perfect sense to include a high GPA.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Pryor on Fire posted:

Nobody cares what your GPA was, in any situation, ever. It's generally an indicator of lack of experience if you put it on a resume/profile, no matter how high it is just forget about it, noone cares.

I figured that was the general rule, but I have actually been asked multiple times before for entry-level jobs.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

The Wiggly Wizard posted:

I figured that was the general rule, but I have actually been asked multiple times before for entry-level jobs.

This will eventually stop happening, based on my experience. It happens pretty much not at all on west coast jobs that are any good.

Testikles
Feb 22, 2009

Positive Optimyst posted:

Cheers for the honest feedback Testikles,

Actually, :), I'm a full native speaker and have written articles for magazine and newspapers.

I have over 100K+ posts on forums also.

I think my writing may come off as odd because when I post I'm in a hurry and multi-tasking.

As for Stairmasters, if you're not added I'll approve you, but I haven't checked out this gorup on a llooonng time.

Well shut me up!

Padawan
Nov 27, 2014

Able to get a written reference (recommendation) from a coordinator that I worked alongside briefly. Minimal but looking to have it benefit towards a support position/profile coming out of school.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
After doing this for a long time I think linkedin has become much less useful in the job search. Anyone else have the same sentiment?

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

Is it okay to reach out and make connections with third party recruiters? I have experience and an industry certification, and I'm super interested in having people come to me with opportunities.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Yes.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Red posted:

I got an interview (Wed.) through a listing on LinkedIn, and it went really well. I sent a follow-up email the day after (Thurs., yesterday), and the HR person thanked me for it and sent it ahead to my interviewers.

They had let me know they'd be making a decision next week, but I got an email this morning that reads:

Dear Red,

The leadership team will decide on next steps in about 2 weeks from today.

Have a great weekend!

- HR Dude from LinkedIn

I interpret that as they're meeting with other candidates.

I got a call asking me for a 2nd (and final) round interview (3rd, actually; the first was an HR phone screen). I asked if I was in competition, and they said there were a "few" other candidates. Should I believe that?

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Why does it matter? Stop wasting time speculating about it.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Asked to do an interview and you're wondering if you're in consideration? Did I read that wrong? Yes you are and that's a good sign. Keep doing what you're doing and let the pieces fall where they may.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Vegetable posted:

If you do have a lack of experience, it makes perfect sense to include a high GPA.

This. I personally wouldn't add your undergrad gpa unless it's at least a 3.0.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
on my home page

LINKEDIN IS A GREAT PLACE TO EXPRESS POLITICAL OPINIONS. DO THAT poo poo ALL THE TIME

its nothing short of amazing how this site has became Job Facebook

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Gross

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Race Realists posted:

on my home page

LINKEDIN IS A GREAT PLACE TO EXPRESS POLITICAL OPINIONS. DO THAT poo poo ALL THE TIME

It's doing its job. Now you have a company never to work for and a person never to hire.

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

I work at a very good company but one of my coworkers believes in qi, as in, that people can harness it for their own purposes and basically defy physics.

My point is: every company is likely to have at least one wacko, you shouldn't write them off for that.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer
Surprised to find out that this latest redesign has abruptly taken away LI contact tags ... all my connections, formerly neatly tagged-up with where we met, are now in one unlabelled pile. That's good and very useful to me

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

George H.W. oval office posted:

Asked to do an interview and you're wondering if you're in consideration? Did I read that wrong? Yes you are and that's a good sign. Keep doing what you're doing and let the pieces fall where they may.

Got the job offer, and it's for more money. Longer commute, but I hate my current job, so this is a no-brainer. :D

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Awesome! Congrats

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

Today I got a targeted post for entry level work at Sbarro. Apparently if you just neglect linkedin for years they assume you are unemployed and destitute.

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Race Realists posted:

on my home page

But they are right?

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Race Realists posted:

on my home page

the parody accounts own.

Spectracide
May 27, 2004
IT'S ARGH, BABY!
Why in the hell did they remove reordering certifications? I had them manually sorted newest to oldest. Now, I've added a new one, and it's at the bottom. I'll have to delete and re-add them all to change the order.

Also, it appears impossible to change "Causes X Cares About", which appears on my public profile, but is completely absent when editing my profile. What a lovely redesign.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

What would be a good entry level job for a political science and economics major getting his bachelors this year, in the New England region? I've already registered on Zip Recruiter and am thinking of doing the same at LinkedIn.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

I know nothing about America's job market sorry.

Recently I started throwing applications in to any relevant job that allowed me to apply via linkedin with minimal hassle. I'm not really looking for a new job but I want to know what else is out there, if I could qualify for something more senior if I jumped ship, whether I'm getting screwed on pay etc.

Let me tell you, it's a helluva lot less stressful looking and applying for jobs when you don't particularly want or need an acceptance at the end of it, and knowing you won't have to fight in pay negotiations. If it isn't an offer too good to turn down, I'm turning it down anyway. Not being desperate to leave and without the pressure of being unemployed makes the whole process quite a lot of fun, actually

simplefish fucked around with this message at 06:34 on May 7, 2017

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Despite my love for it, audio was the worst thing to get a diploma in :negative:

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Aww, Rupert, you'll always have the goon Christmas albums. They never fail to be a seasonal highlight for me

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
I'm in a bit of a pickle regarding LinkedIn, and I'm not sure what the best solution is.

The most impressive and job-relevant details about me are the projects I've worked on and skills I used therein. Meanwhile, my actual "experience" section of jobs I've held are just a random mishmash of "worked here for money"s that you'd expect from a recent graduate. For the purpose of job-hunting, I would really prefer it if I could somehow get my most important stuff to pop up first.

Some options I've considered:
1. If there's some way LinkedIn would let me move profile sections around so I could display projects first, that would be best. Not sure if this is possible though, everything I've read about moving sections is only about moving entries within a section.
2. List my projects as "Experience" instead of projects, and maybe remove my unimportant positions all-together
3. Make my summary section "My projects are the most relevant", or the like

edit: Option #1 apparently used to be available but is "temporarily unavailable" (and has been for months)

Emmideer fucked around with this message at 20:05 on May 12, 2017

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
Friend A told me a person is leaving a good firm. I want that person's position at the good firm. Friend B works at the good firm.

How do we get myself on the inside track here?

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Tell friend B to refer you for the job?

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

Friend A told me a person is leaving a good firm. I want that person's position at the good firm. Friend B works at the good firm.

How do we get myself on the inside track here?

Tell them to refer you and if they're a good friend make sure your resume gets to the people who make the decisions

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

How is that even a question? If you couldn't figure that out then good luck on the interview.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Fresh college grad (masters in math/statistics) filling out a profile for first time. Only thing left it's prompting me for is a summary. What all should go into that.

KonMari DeathMetal
Dec 20, 2009
Does the stairmaster's linkedin group still get used? I tried to join last week to try and get a network built up but so far haven't been accepted.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

It's mostly dead, the only semi active topic is a "post if you want to connect to other goons" thread. I think there's only one or two people with admin access to approve requests, so if they're not around, no one new can be let in.

Edit: I think it took me about two weeks to get accepted and that was like, in 2015.

Ballz fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Jul 23, 2017

hooliganesh
Aug 1, 2003

REPENT!

Azuth0667 posted:

After doing this for a long time I think linkedin has become much less useful in the job search. Anyone else have the same sentiment?

Agreed. The site's helpful for checking people's general backgrounds (education, interests followed, etc.) but I've yet to experience anything remotely similar to what the site purports in terms of connecting professionals. I'm hardly the "professional" type, but I do interact with people in the business environments regularly and I'm always looking for a better paying gig. However, LinkedIn has done exactly jack poo poo for my "career."

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Azuth0667 posted:

I got my first job out of college after a recruiter reached out to me on LinkedIn and several request for interviews through it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
I've had multiple recruiters reach out through LinkedIn, and I found a job through the ads on there once.

The recruiters were all useless though ("Oh, uh, your salary expectations are a bit high for the market...")

• Locked thread