Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Suffer not the lobbyist to live.
How is it degrading the quality of your network? It doesn't exclude you from anything. It's not like you miss out on anything because of having more connections. I guess your feed gets busier but I dont think anyone uses that anyway.

I started out with 40 connections and barely ever got any profile views, random messages, etc. I invited every recruiter in my metro area and got up to 200 connections. I now get a profile view every few days with occasional invite requests. Also, I can pretty much message anyone in my area within my field since they're almost assured to be a second degree connection.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feral Bueller
Apr 23, 2004

Fun is important.
Nap Ghost

KetTarma posted:

Also, I can pretty much message anyone in my area within my field since they're almost assured to be a second degree connection.

This is critical.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Sarcasmatron posted:

This is critical.

But you get absolutely zero utility from it. Here's a scenario for you. You are looking for a job somewhere and you notice a second level connection that you'd like to get in touch with to help you out.

Option 1: You are only adding people you are actually connected with, and so are your connections. You get ahold of your first level contact and ask them if they can help put you in touch with person number two. Since they know both of you they contact person number two and put you in touch. Person number two was put in contact with you via someone they actually know so are actually open to talking with you. This is real networking and after meeting them they might be happy to help you find a job. Or maybe you find out the job isn't for you. Either way you now have a new, real connection.

Option 2: You spam invites and so do your connections. You notice a second level contact. You send them an inmail. They probably ignore it because your just some rear end in a top hat who contacted them out of the blue. Even if they don't you could have sent them an email and had the exact same level of response. In this instance going through LinkedIn is totally pointless. You could have just sent an email.

LinkedIn is great because it facilities the use of your network. It's powerful because it allows you to better maintain and leverage your connections. It is an extension of networking. It isn't a replacement. I'm not trying to poo poo up the thread. I think you're giving bad advice. Or at best you are giving advice that is correct for your industry/situation and assuming it is right for everyone. You are trying to use a networking site as a job board.

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Thoguh posted:

But you get absolutely zero utility from it. Here's a scenario for you. You are looking for a job somewhere and you notice a second level connection that you'd like to get in touch with to help you out.

Option 1: You are only adding people you are actually connected with, and so are your connections. You get ahold of your first level contact and ask them if they can help put you in touch with person number two. Since they know both of you they contact person number two and put you in touch. Person number two was put in contact with you via someone they actually know so are actually open to talking with you. This is real networking and after meeting them they might be happy to help you find a job. Or maybe you find out the job isn't for you. Either way you now have a new, real connection.

Option 2: You spam invites and so do your connections. You notice a second level contact. You send them an inmail. They probably ignore it because your just some rear end in a top hat who contacted them out of the blue. Even if they don't you could have sent them an email and had the exact same level of response. In this instance going through LinkedIn is totally pointless. You could have just sent an email.

LinkedIn is great because it facilities the use of your network. It's powerful because it allows you to better maintain and leverage your connections. It is an extension of networking. It isn't a replacement. I'm not trying to poo poo up the thread. I think you're giving bad advice. Or at best you are giving advice that is correct for your industry/situation and assuming it is right for everyone. You are trying to use a networking site as a job board.

Your scenarios assume that the only reason someone would talk to you on a professional networking site is because you share a similar connection. If the person you want to contact is on a social networking site, it probably means they are willing to socially network. If the ONLY reason someone would talk to you is because you know their friend, you're not marketing yourself properly. Every "cold call" message I send out is short, courteous, and professional. Most of the time, I get a response. The advantage LinkedIn has over email is that it allows a global aggregation of professionals in a way that lets you sort them by company, location, etc. People are more likely to respond to LinkedIn over email because they can quickly determine who and what you are by just hovering over your name.

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!

Thoguh posted:

How do you know who this guy is or how to contact him? Unless you're a 2nd level connection you probably don't even know he exists so emailing him isn't even possible.

Night Gaunt
Jan 9, 2007

I accepted a 3rd degree connection request today. All they said was, "I'm always looking to connect to great designers!" It was a nice little ego boost for the day. :3:

Now, if only I can figure out whether or not it's kosher send a connection request to a literary agent I want to submit samples to. I'm guessing not.

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

I do solemnly swear that in the year 2015 I will theorycraft my wallet as well as my WoW
Not sure why you'd post about your lack of LinkedIn integrity. You're pretty much just some kind of Linkedin whore now.

evensevenone
May 12, 2001
Glass is a solid.

Thoguh posted:

This is bad comparison.

Option 1 is you are connected to say 40 people that you know well, and those people are connected to say 40 people they know well.

Option 2 is that you are connected to 40 people you know well, and another 160 people you don't know well. Same for your contacts.

If you take option 2, you aren't losing your "real" contacts. You're just expanding on them. Maybe the person looking for a job is able to do their own evaluation of applicants and doesn't care how closely they are "connected". All it means is that if they happen to be a person who does care, you wouldn't get a connection that you wouldn't have gotten anyway.

If you look, nearly all recruiters do LION. These are people who spend a lot of time on LinkedIn and get paid on their ability to leverage it for their use. There's just no reason to say "hey this person doesn't know me, better make sure that it's impossible for them to contact me". Unless you are literally overwhelmed with LinkedIn requests or something.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

evensevenone posted:

Option 2 is that you are connected to 40 people you know well, and another 160 people you don't know well. Same for your contacts.

Not "don't know well". "Don't know at all". Big difference.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007
This is turning into a huge derail. Can we end it please? If you don't like the advice given in the op, then don't follow it.

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Sancho posted:

edit: wow quite a few legit stair guys in there!
Yeah, uh

Greg Peters posted:

Greg Peters here based in the ATL but my National work is graciously overwhelming!
:raise:

corkskroo
Sep 10, 2004

As someone who hires people and checks them out on LI, I would suggest not intentionally prolonging your employment dates beyond what they actually were. It's weird. If you aren't actively managing the page and haven't changed it that's different, but really if you're looking for a job you should be keeping LI up to date.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

HiroProtagonist posted:

This is turning into a huge derail. Can we end it please? If you don't like the advice given in the op, then don't follow it.

Discussion is a-okay but keep it civil, friends.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

evensevenone posted:

If you look, nearly all recruiters do LION.

I don't know this acronym, help me out?

RisqueBarber
Jul 10, 2005

What short message are you guys sending to recruiters?

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

I would like to add you to my LinkedIn network.

As long as your profile shows you to be a relevant connection, I cant imagine them turning you down.

RisqueBarber
Jul 10, 2005

KetTarma posted:

I would like to add you to my LinkedIn network.

As long as your profile shows you to be a relevant connection, I cant imagine them turning you down.

I don't want just their connection, I want them to help me find a job. I've been sent this to about 9 recruiters, and only one has asked for my resume.

I want to invite you to look at my resume and hopefully discuss any open opportunities you may have. If you're interested either message me back, email me at myemail, or call me at my-phone-number.

PrivateEyeball
Nov 7, 2009

L'etoile du Nord

RisqueBarber posted:

I want to invite you to look at my resume and hopefully discuss any open opportunities you may have. If you're interested either message me back, email me at myemail, or call me at my-phone-number.

I would suggest putting in some sort of reason for them to take the time. Check the company to see if they're looking for a position you want. If so, mention that position and list a couple qualifications you have. If that position isn't listed, try creating that position. It hasn't happened to me personally, but I know people who have been hired for openings that didn't exist until they pitched it. Any which way, list qualifications and anything else that will give them a reason to look at you over anyone else that's contacting them.

If you happen to be talking to a manager, instead of a recruiter, than options get a bit better. In that situation, I would create a list of ideas that I'd like to implement or ideas that could help grow the company in a certain area.

You're essentially sending a cold message to this person. If someone messaged me and said "Hey, look at my resume!" I'd probably just delete it and move on (unless I'm not busy). If someone said "I'm interested in applying for the ______ position at your company. I've experience with _______, _______, and _______. Feel free to check out my resume and contact me." I'll be a bit more intrigued.

EDIT: But don't do that in the connection invite message. Wait for them to make the connection. Then reach out. Nobody reads the invite messages.

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

PrivateEyeball posted:

Nobody reads the invite messages.

This is a fact.
I usually accept people then wait for them to message me. If I am wanting to connect with someone, I will modify the generic invite message in case they DO read it but follow up with an actual message afterwards.

Gap In The Tooth
Aug 16, 2004
Just tried joining Stairmasters, got this error:

You are no longer authorized to message this member.

when trying to send the 'I am protected' message.

GOOCHY
Sep 17, 2003

In an interstellar burst I'm back to save the universe!
I got the same thing.

Cheradenine
May 29, 2009
Ditto. I did manage to send another, I'm not entirely convinced it worked properly though.

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

For certifications and titles, should they be listed in your linked in profile name? For example, when it comes to CPAs, I've seen some people list themselves as (for example) "Bob Smith, CPA" and also as (merely) "Jane Smith".

PrivateEyeball
Nov 7, 2009

L'etoile du Nord
My attempts at using Linkedin are starting to wear me out. I get some recruiters telling me that they're not the recruiter I should be contacting for a specific job (which would be better if more specified what areas they cover). A few are nice enough to (allegedly) forward my info to the appropriate person. The bigger issue is that I get no response to a lot of my inquiries. Anyone have any advice to better get a response or do I need to do what I've done with editors (when I've done freelance writing) and just keep pestering them once a week until they respond?

ianskate
Sep 22, 2002

Run away before you drown!

PrivateEyeball posted:

You're essentially sending a cold message to this person. If someone messaged me and said "Hey, look at my resume!" I'd probably just delete it and move on (unless I'm not busy). If someone said "I'm interested in applying for the ______ position at your company. I've experience with _______, _______, and _______. Feel free to check out my resume and contact me." I'll be a bit more intrigued.

EDIT: But don't do that in the connection invite message. Wait for them to make the connection. Then reach out. Nobody reads the invite messages.

I have tried this method, and it hasn't yielded any results. Kind of like filling out job application forms. You're essentially throwing your resume, cover letter, and time ito the garbage. At least from my personal experience.

PrivateEyeball posted:

My attempts at using Linkedin are starting to wear me out. The bigger issue is that I get no response to a lot of my inquiries.

I'm in a similar, lousy situation. Feeling extremely defeated at this point :suicide:

ianskate fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Mar 14, 2013

Jasen
Feb 19, 2006
Double Stuffed Unique Snowflake

C-Euro posted:

I don't know this acronym, help me out?

I believe it's Linked In Open Network, meaning that they're open to networking with anyone and everyone to get 500+ connections.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Gap In The Tooth posted:

Just tried joining Stairmasters, got this error:

You are no longer authorized to message this member.

when trying to send the 'I am protected' message.

Same :(

I'm not doing it for a job. But more of a company profile showcase. Anyone got tips on that? Few of my coworkers actually found clients through their personal linkedin profile.

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

(As the owner of the group) unfortunately I don't have any explanation for that; not like my account is blocked or something.

StarSiren
Feb 15, 2005

Wade in the water, Children, Wade in the water

ianskate posted:

I'm in a similar, lousy situation. Feeling extremely defeated at this point :suicide:

Count me in, too. Though, in general, I feel really defeated, so maybe it's an extension of that. But, I had applied for a job through a company website and I tried to connect (as people have instructed) with the recruiter for that company. I know they looked at my profile. The next day I get a rejection letter for the position.

I think I'm just having a hard time trying to switch "career fields".

Rad R.
Oct 10, 2012
Thanks to this thread, I've updated/modified my profile, found out what I need to focus on, so this has been really helpful, thanks OP and everyone else who contributed.

And yeah, if you send me invitations to connect, I'll accept.

PrivateEyeball
Nov 7, 2009

L'etoile du Nord
A recruiter I messaged on Linkedin just responded with a blank message. :bang:

Sadly, nobody works on weekends (except me), so I guess it's time to relax...and go to work.

RisqueBarber
Jul 10, 2005

I'm having a hard time finding a recruiter. I've messaged 7-8 and no one has responded.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

RisqueBarber posted:

I'm having a hard time finding a recruiter. I've messaged 7-8 and no one has responded.

If you're trying to connect with them, join groups! Groups will give you a convenient excuse to request connections with recruiters who post in them, since you'll have that in common. I joined one for my field, connected with two or three people in there who regularly posted openings, and so far I've had two other recruiters actually come to me with requests. Now to actually message them about jobs and watch for relevant postings :ohdear:

RisqueBarber
Jul 10, 2005

C-Euro posted:

If you're trying to connect with them, join groups! Groups will give you a convenient excuse to request connections with recruiters who post in them, since you'll have that in common. I joined one for my field, connected with two or three people in there who regularly posted openings, and so far I've had two other recruiters actually come to me with requests. Now to actually message them about jobs and watch for relevant postings :ohdear:

I've joined 12 groups but have yet to make a post. I'm currently employed and don't want me employer to find out I'm looking for a new job.

ianskate
Sep 22, 2002

Run away before you drown!

StarSiren posted:

Count me in, too. Though, in general, I feel really defeated, so maybe it's an extension of that. But, I had applied for a job through a company website and I tried to connect (as people have instructed) with the recruiter for that company. I know they looked at my profile. The next day I get a rejection letter for the position.

I think I'm just having a hard time trying to switch "career fields".

At least you've received the rejection :colbert:

I'm having an impossible time even getting a rejection from any applications. Hearing nothing actually hurts me more, it's insulting. It certainly wasn't this bad years ago when I graduated... got a pretty decent job within 6 months, worked for a solid 4 years, mostly uphill. And then the layoffs hit, and haven't been able to recover.

Also in the switching situation, or at least trying that as well as seeking out familiar positions.

Anyway, back to the LinkedIn topic... finally received one response from a recruiter I added, here's to hoping it leads somewhere.

ianskate fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Mar 16, 2013

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

RisqueBarber posted:

I've joined 12 groups but have yet to make a post. I'm currently employed and don't want me employer to find out I'm looking for a new job.

I haven't actually done any posting either.

Hatless
Jan 5, 2013
I'm not a Linked-in expert, but it shouldn't always be necessary to post to get recruiter calls. (mind you, these will not always be good calls, like, from the same state/prov.)

They will find your resume.

Don't worry about your employer finding out, Risque, lots of people use it for networking. (And the recruiters are probably outsourced anyway.)

Omgbees
Nov 30, 2012

PrivateEyeball posted:

Nobody reads the invite messages.

I do :shrug:
Then again I also don't add people I don't know.

corkskroo
Sep 10, 2004

Do any of you job hunters live in/near Baltimore and hope to work in desktop publishing? If so, PM me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feral Bueller
Apr 23, 2004

Fun is important.
Nap Ghost
My experience has been that it's more a question of of making my profile more parse-able for recruiters. That and making my network as big as possible. The more people in my network, the greater the likelihood that they will be able to see something that compels them to message you, based on whatever requisitions they're trying to fill.

To see what I'm talking about, look at a 3rd degree connection, then look at a 2nd degree connection. You can see a lot more about a 2nd degree connection. Now pretend you're a recruiter. You're more likely to reach out to someone who you have more information on, as it going to be a more accurate "cold call": 3rd degree recruiters ask me if I'm a mobile developer (NO), while 2nd degree recruiters ask me if I'm interested in managing mobile projects (YES).

I realize anecdotes are... anecdotal. Having said that, I've hired for 3 positions out of LI, and they've all worked out - my current direct report was out of LI.

Yesterday I had a nice 2nd round interview with the VP of Technology and VP of Product for a media company I'd really like to work at, and I have a phone screen next week for a mobile PM position: we've already established a base salary of 15% above my current base, so now I just need to show up for interviews.

TL;DR: LI is not a vending machine. Build a compelling profile, maximize the size of your network, and recruiters will come to you.

I've already had messages from a couple of people in this thread and had profile discussions - feel free to message me, either here or on LI.

Feral Bueller fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Mar 16, 2013

• Locked thread