Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003

Pollyanna posted:

Ha ha lets laugh at the jobless losers ha.

Perhaps I should clarify. My school had an excellent job center and lots of the courses themselves revolved around networking with industry. I've seen a bunch of directionless graduates who obviously didn't take advantage of free resources ask generic questions on linkedin with no sort of concept of what they want to do (besides have a job of some sort). the program itself is designed to help people find out what their specific interests are in the environmental field. They want people to give them job leads without providing any specifics as to their interests or abilities

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DukAmok
Sep 21, 2006

Using drugs will kill. So be for real.

Pollyanna posted:

Ohhhhhhh, right.

Ok here it is

It's otherwise perfectly visible although the network restriction thing is still uh. a thing.

You have a massive summary, tone that down to one paragraph. You're just out of school, no one is expecting you to have pages and pages of experience anyway. This is just my opinion, but tone down the first person as well. I like resumes and things like this to be neutral and concise, "Graduate of WPI, experience in XYZ" instead of "I am a recent graduate from Worcester Polytechnic Institute, and have extensive experience in projects dealing with the nuances of XYZ".

Also you don't have a picture. I remember reading an article somewhere about the massive statistical advantage profiles with pictures have, but it really is a common sense thing. Doesn't have to be a headshot or anything, just a smiling shot is fine.

Rad R.
Oct 10, 2012
I could use more of your assistance regarding recruiters. Now, my idea is to post links to my web shop in groups I am a member of, as these are all groups for creative professionals, so I need to present what sort of illustrations I do, and the concept of my brand. Will this make me more visible to recruiters, and how do I spot an actual recruiter? As I've mentioned before, I'm in Croatia but my basic goal is to travel and work, while my local network doesn't use LinkedIn for nothing more than just presenting a person's CV and current projects - recruiters are never even mentioned, there is no such interaction.

Doghouse
Oct 22, 2004

I was playing Harvest Moon 64 with this kid who lived on my street and my cows were not doing well and I got so raged up and frustrated that my eyes welled up with tears and my friend was like are you crying dude. Are you crying because of the cows. I didn't understand the feeding mechanic.
I joined recently and couldn't find anywhere to say "I am protected." Where am I supposed to do this?

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

Nowhere. I'll take it out of my post.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007
I also editedstrikeouted it from the OP. Thought I did that already, sorry.

Brian Fellows
May 29, 2003
I'm Brian Fellows
I've got a couple of issues that always pop up when using Monster or any of the other job sites, maybe someone here can help me avoid getting the issues on LI. Or at least give me tips in general I guess?

1. I live far away from where I want to work. I've got a degree from the area I want to work in, but whenever I put my resume online tons of recruiters from the area I'm CURRENTLY in and have no interest in staying in email me. My resume and skills sell themselves, but is there any way (short of a blurb in my description, which I don't want my current employers to see) to give an "I'M ONLY INTERESTED IN OPPORTUNITIES IN THIS GEOGRAPHICAL AREA" vibe? Because up to this point 90% of my recruiter traffic I can rule out within 2 seconds.

2. I make more money than someone my age in my field typically does. That gives me two problems... first I'll get into discussions with a recruiter only to find out after talking for half an hour that they're talking about a job with a laughably lower salary, and second I'll get recruiters that'll instantly give up on me when they hear what I'm making now. I'm willing to take a pay cut to move back to where I want to be, but for some reason, throwing out my salary has been a deal-breaker to recruiters up to this point. So what would you guys suggest is the right time to bring up at least my salary range that won't waste anyone's time and won't scare recruiters off immediately?

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
I've never used Monster, but can't you just lie on the about where you live and say you live in the area you want to move to?

Brian Fellows
May 29, 2003
I'm Brian Fellows
I have a friend that did that and apparently he had a couple of phone interviews immediately, and after that it dried up 100%. If that's my best bet I have no problem doing it, but it's only so much time until they see that I'm currently employed 1,400 miles from my "Current Location."

I guess that might be a good bet actually, since I'd at the very least turn up in their search and they'd have to actually look to rule me out.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Brian Fellows posted:

I've got a couple of issues that always pop up when using Monster or any of the other job sites, maybe someone here can help me avoid getting the issues on LI. Or at least give me tips in general I guess?

1. I live far away from where I want to work. I've got a degree from the area I want to work in, but whenever I put my resume online tons of recruiters from the area I'm CURRENTLY in and have no interest in staying in email me. My resume and skills sell themselves, but is there any way (short of a blurb in my description, which I don't want my current employers to see) to give an "I'M ONLY INTERESTED IN OPPORTUNITIES IN THIS GEOGRAPHICAL AREA" vibe? Because up to this point 90% of my recruiter traffic I can rule out within 2 seconds.

2. I make more money than someone my age in my field typically does. That gives me two problems... first I'll get into discussions with a recruiter only to find out after talking for half an hour that they're talking about a job with a laughably lower salary, and second I'll get recruiters that'll instantly give up on me when they hear what I'm making now. I'm willing to take a pay cut to move back to where I want to be, but for some reason, throwing out my salary has been a deal-breaker to recruiters up to this point. So what would you guys suggest is the right time to bring up at least my salary range that won't waste anyone's time and won't scare recruiters off immediately?

1. Save yourself the trouble and just list off where you want to work on your profile. If someone asks, tell them you're moving.

2. It's really not so much their business what you make now, but the numbers you're willing to work for. When they ask you what your salary range is, don't just say what you're making.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Brian Fellows posted:

I might have some advice here, but I need more specifics (where you live, where you want to be, etc.). Feel free to pm me or email.

StarSiren
Feb 15, 2005

Wade in the water, Children, Wade in the water
I connected with a senior recruiter for a company I'd love to work for. I noticed, through the actual company site, that they have a posting for a job that fits me. Should I try contacting the recruiter through LinkedIn to inquire further? What exactly should I be saying/asking of this guy?

EDIT: I actually went back and found the answer I'm looking for... But it did make me wonder, do recruiters have different "sections" of a company that they hire for? If I contact one recruiter, would they refer me down the correct path? Does it matter?

StarSiren fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Apr 2, 2013

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Suffer not the lobbyist to live.
Using a 3rd party recruiter:
PRO: more likely to get interview
CON: hiring you is more expensive as the company in question will have to pay a (large) finder's fee. This means that they might lowball your salary or hire someone else over you.

Applying online:
PRO: no finders fee paid
CON: you are firing your resume into a blank hole of nothingness where thousands of other people may have already poo poo their woefully underqualified resume hoping for a bite. There is a good chance your resume will not be looked at simply due to the volume of submissions.

ianskate
Sep 22, 2002

Run away before you drown!

StarSiren posted:

I connected with a senior recruiter for a company I'd love to work for. I noticed, through the actual company site, that they have a posting for a job that fits me. Should I try contacting the recruiter through LinkedIn to inquire further? What exactly should I be saying/asking of this guy?

EDIT: I actually went back and found the answer I'm looking for... But it did make me wonder, do recruiters have different "sections" of a company that they hire for? If I contact one recruiter, would they refer me down the correct path? Does it matter?

While I can't say what to do, I've tried the "contact them" approach, and got no response, which was entirely expected. Even knowing that I was 99% qualified (at least based on the description of said job).

ianskate fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Apr 3, 2013

DukAmok
Sep 21, 2006

Using drugs will kill. So be for real.
Finally asked for some references for my current job. There's an awkward middle ground where you don't want to ask for them too early, or too late, or make it appear you're looking to jump ship or anything. I think I hit the timing right, got a good reference out of the few requests I sent out.

Why I mention it, is that I saw a massive spike in profile visits following that. From existing connections, as well as from random people from all over the country. It seemed like common sense that LinkedIn would weight recent profile activity in search results and things like that, but I think I can say pretty conclusively that some quality references on your profile are worth chasing down if you're looking to increase your profile visibility.

Feral Bueller
Apr 23, 2004

Fun is important.
Nap Ghost

KetTarma posted:

Using a 3rd party recruiter:
PRO: more likely to get interview
CON: hiring you is more expensive as the company in question will have to pay a (large) finder's fee. This means that they might lowball your salary or hire someone else over you.

The finder's fee paid is generally a percentage of your base salary, so the recruiter is motivated to get you the highest base possible.

I've been fortunate to have had two stellar experiences with recruiters - one as a candidate, one as a hiring manager - so I'm a bit biased.

Just received and accepted a really nice offer at a company I've been dying to work for - entirely through a LinkedIn referral. Looking forward to updating my profile in three weeks.

Doghouse
Oct 22, 2004

I was playing Harvest Moon 64 with this kid who lived on my street and my cows were not doing well and I got so raged up and frustrated that my eyes welled up with tears and my friend was like are you crying dude. Are you crying because of the cows. I didn't understand the feeding mechanic.
How do I let it be known that I am looking for a job despite the fact that I am currently employed? The project I am working on is projected to end in a few months.

Doghouse fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Apr 3, 2013

RisqueBarber
Jul 10, 2005

Doghouse posted:

How do I let it be known that I am looking for a job despite the fact that I am currently employed? The project I am working on is projected to end in a few months.

I've seen a lot of people change their current company to "Currently seeking employment in (insert field here)".

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Doghouse posted:

Don't sweat this. If you're a contract worker, nobody will fault you for it.

DukAmok posted:

Why I mention it, is that I saw a massive spike in profile visits following that. From existing connections, as well as from random people from all over the country. It seemed like common sense that LinkedIn would weight recent profile activity in search results and things like that, but I think I can say pretty conclusively that some quality references on your profile are worth chasing down if you're looking to increase your profile visibility.

Again, apparently like how OKCupid works, Linkedin boosts your visibility depending on how active you are. If you update your profile, it'll push you upwards in search results and activity feeds compared to the baseline (whatever that is).

Brian Fellows posted:

I'm still planning to get back to you on this, just so you know. Still gathering info.

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Sarcasmatron posted:

The finder's fee paid is generally a percentage of your base salary, so the recruiter is motivated to get you the highest base possible.

I've been fortunate to have had two stellar experiences with recruiters - one as a candidate, one as a hiring manager - so I'm a bit biased.

Yeah, that's totally true.

I've had a less than stellar experience with recruiters. They got me one really high dollar job offer then acted extremely unprofessional towards me when I decided to turn it down.

Brian Fellows
May 29, 2003
I'm Brian Fellows
Heh, I've had that before too. A recruiter called me stupid for turning down an offer, then started trying to argue with me. I had to cut her off and ask if she was trying to bully me into a job that I'd just declined.

Maybe it works for her sometimes?

Pug
Nov 26, 2008
Which recruiting firms were these?

hackedaccount
Sep 28, 2009

Doghouse posted:

You can also change your Professional Headline field to "Contract ends in June" or "Seeking new Opportunities" or whatever.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

:gonk:

I just got contacted by a recruiter today. I expressed interest in the position and was gonna talk to him tomorrow about it...should I not have done so?

Wagoneer
Jul 16, 2006

hay there!

Pollyanna posted:

I just got contacted by a recruiter today. I expressed interest in the position and was gonna talk to him tomorrow about it...should I not have done so?

No, you didn't do anything wrong. Recruiters usually aren't crazy.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
But if he gets you an offer and you refuse, remember to lock your door at night and keep a gun - many guns - under the pillow.

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Pug posted:

Which recruiting firms were these?

Bradley Morris.

I was working nightshift as an electrical tech at the time. Two of them kept calling me every hour on the hour despite me saying "I AM ON NIGHT SHIFT SO PLEASE DO NOT CALL ME! I AM SLEEPING!"
I was on call so I couldn't turn my phone off either. After the 4th hour of this, I told them that the reason I got a high dollar offer was because my job involves working on deadly high voltage equipment and that if I go into work and make a mistake because I am tired, I could be killed. There may have been a significant amount of profanity in there too. They stopped calling after that. I never used them again and ended up going back to school.

Feral Bueller
Apr 23, 2004

Fun is important.
Nap Ghost
Recruiters are like any other mutually opportunistic relationship - some are great, some are horrible, the majority are mediocre.

A lot of it depends on where you are in your career: freshly minted (under)graduate degree with little paid experience is a much different ride than if you've been doing this crap for 5-10-15+ years.

As cheesy and Buzzword Bingo© as it sounds, figure out who you are - commonly referred to as "your personal brand" - and be that person. In the process of figuring that out, hopefully you'll either have a fairly linear career path or you'll have some interesting stories.

If you're lucky, you'll have both.

TLDR: Do not fear the recruiter(s). The more, the merrier.

evensevenone
May 12, 2001
Glass is a solid.
There's really three kinds of recruiters, and it's important to understand the differences when you deal with them.

Internal recruiters--these people are just employees of the company whose job it is to find talented people. Sometimes it's a division of HR, sometimes it's just something managers do as part of their responsibilities, sometimes it's a whole dedicated group of people. These people can be pretty helpful, they know the processes the organization uses, and often get notified of positions before they appear publicly. On the other hand, once they pass you off to the hiring team, they're usually pretty hands-off (unless they're on the hiring team...). These are also the people that usually go to career fairs, do on-campus interviews, that kind of thing. Obviously, they aren't going to help you on salary/benefit negotiations

External recruiters on retainer--these people work for an outside firm, and the firm is hired by the employer to fill certain positions. They get paid a (large) percentage of the final salary for a period of time, and usually they have an exclusive on a particular position. These guys are usually great to work with; the reason that employers use them (despite the huge cost) is that they usually have a good knowledge of their industry and can match people with positions and save everyone involved lots of time and trouble. Unlike the internal recruiters they can be helpful in negotiation, although their priority is really to make a deal happen so they get paid. They're a little more common at the upper end of the spectrum where it's a lot hard for organizations to find good talent.

External recruiters who work on contingency--this is where things start getting bad. Contingency means that they don't have any particular agreement with the employer and the employer might have listed with multiple agencies. Or even worse, the employer wants nothing at all to do with recruiters, and these guys just harvested a job description off a website and are going to try to squeeze their way into the hiring process. Generally these guys are pretty much bottom feeders and will just take a spray and pray approach; they're why almost any job posting you see will say "no agency resumes". I'm not even sure how they have a viable business model since nobody really wants to work with them, but I suspect they just hire a bunch of kids/desperate people and pay them on commission. Sadly these are the people that spend all day on LinkedIn or combing monster. Some of them are OK but you really want to be careful.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I spoke to that recruiter I mentioned earlier. He came across my resume I assume on LinkedIn, and thought I qualified for the job since I had experience with CT machines and technology and also mentioned having some experience in programming/software development. Plus, the company is looking for recent grads according to him. The client is apparently a subsidiary of Samsung, so it's not a total unknown. I do have experience with CT and similar technology - I had an internship in the medical physics department at Mayo Clinic, and some work at UMass - and the position "requires candidate's input in all facets of software development: requirements, design, implementation, verification, and release."

That said, I graduated as a BME BS - that's a plus on the medical device side, but I feel lacking in the software development/electrical engineering department.

The company wants someone with experience with medical device software, writing assembly instructions, writing GPU algorithms, and electrical hardware. He did mention they'd be willing to train me on the job, though I'm not sure to what extent.

They are looking for a contract-to-hire position, I don't know if that's a problem - is it?

I feel like the position is slightly more geared towards people with a CS or EE background, but if he thinks I qualify, I might as well apply for it, right? :ohdear: I really wanted to know why he thought I was a good fit for the position, and I understand why he would. I would like to know other people's opinion on this, though.

Pug
Nov 26, 2008

Pollyanna posted:

Research the firm just like you would for any product/service. Hopefully, the recruiter is professional and can help you find a better position. Keep in mind they know what kind of person they are looking for and your resume probably matched a job description they have. Try to find out how good of a fit you are for the position and what you can do to improve your chances of getting the job. Ask the recruiter to look over your resume and give you some interview training specified for the client. If you are a poor fit for the job opening ask the recruiter if he/she has any other positions that better fit your needs.

Julio Cesar Fatass
Jul 24, 2007

"...."

evensevenone posted:

External recruiters who work on contingency--this is where things start getting bad. Contingency means that they don't have any particular agreement with the employer and the employer might have listed with multiple agencies. Or even worse, the employer wants nothing at all to do with recruiters, and these guys just harvested a job description off a website and are going to try to squeeze their way into the hiring process. Generally these guys are pretty much bottom feeders and will just take a spray and pray approach; they're why almost any job posting you see will say "no agency resumes". I'm not even sure how they have a viable business model since nobody really wants to work with them, but I suspect they just hire a bunch of kids/desperate people and pay them on commission. Sadly these are the people that spend all day on LinkedIn or combing monster. Some of them are OK but you really want to be careful.

I had a sinking feeling that these outfits were bad, but I didn't know they were that bad. Has anyone had any success working with guys like this?

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Julio Cesar Fatass posted:

I had a sinking feeling that these outfits were bad, but I didn't know they were that bad. Has anyone had any success working with guys like this?

Yeah. They throw everyones resume against a ton of positions and see what sticks.

That being said, I got site visit offers from the majority of interviews they sent me to even though the overwhelming majority of jobs I was interviewing for did not meet my minimum criteria.

"Must be located within x miles of city in y region. Must be minimum z salary. Absolutely no rotating shiftwork."

"Ok, this job is x+200 miles away from city in !y region and is offering z-$10,000 salary! Oh, it's rotating shiftwork too by the way hope that's ok wait what do you mean you're not going on the site visit!!!"

evensevenone
May 12, 2001
Glass is a solid.
They can be OK; sometimes an employer will just fire off a position description to several firms, and will pay whomever came up with the winning candidate. The problem I always get is that two or three different guys contact me for the same position, slightly disguised. And sometimes you find them trying to wedge you into a position that doesn't make sense (or even worse editing your resume to push you over the edge). It's just a less lucrative, more competitive environment that leads to more inefficiencies and bottom-feeding. It also usually signifies the employer is less invested in filling the position (because they weren't willing to pay a professional upfront).

in_cahoots
Sep 12, 2011
I've been getting a lot of calls from random recruiters who've found my resume online and want me to interview for jobs in Silicon Valley. Most of the time I'm not really interested after hearing the job description, but they make a point not to tell me what company I would actually be interviewing with. Are these recruiters likely to be the ones on retainer, or just external agencies throwing crap at a wall to see what sticks?

Doghouse
Oct 22, 2004

Any tips on writing a summary? Should it be in third person or first person? Should it be strictly limited to professional info (experience, education, skills, etc) or is it okay to briefly put it other info, like interests and goals?

Edit: also, should I put every job in, even though they are kind of minor and have nothing to do with the field I am looking for?

Doghouse fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Apr 5, 2013

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

They don't want you to apply on your own as then the headhunter would not get paid.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Can you expand upon this a little bit?

Pollyanna posted:

I also mentioned having some experience in programming/software development.

Because this:

Pollyanna posted:

The company wants someone with experience with medical device software, writing assembly instructions, writing GPU algorithms, and electrical hardware. He did mention they'd be willing to train me on the job, though I'm not sure to what extent.

doesn't sound particularly trivial. I mean, you're certainly right in that you should get more information from the guy associated with filling the job and not me, a fat guy on the Internet, but this sort of integrated programming isn't that intuitive if you don't already have a good background in EECS. Very low level and esoteric.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Hence me asking him why he thought I was good for the position. I assume that if he's legit, then he's been told what the prospectives need for the job. And if this doesn't pan out, oh well, back to plan B.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

my shit posts don't die, they multiply

Pollyanna posted:

I spoke to that recruiter I mentioned earlier. He came across my resume I assume on LinkedIn, and thought I qualified for the job since I had experience with CT machines and technology and also mentioned having some experience in programming/software development. Plus, the company is looking for recent grads according to him. The client is apparently a subsidiary of Samsung, so it's not a total unknown. I do have experience with CT and similar technology - I had an internship in the medical physics department at Mayo Clinic, and some work at UMass - and the position "requires candidate's input in all facets of software development: requirements, design, implementation, verification, and release."

That said, I graduated as a BME BS - that's a plus on the medical device side, but I feel lacking in the software development/electrical engineering department.

They are looking for a contract-to-hire position, I don't know if that's a problem - is it?

I feel like the position is slightly more geared towards people with a CS or EE background, but if he thinks I qualify, I might as well apply for it, right? :ohdear: I really wanted to know why he thought I was a good fit for the position, and I understand why he would. I would like to know other people's opinion on this, though.

I think if they're looking for a recent grad you will probably be okay, since no recent grad knows everything, and they say they are willing to train.

• Locked thread