Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DukAmok
Sep 21, 2006

Using drugs will kill. So be for real.

RTB posted:

Thought I’d share something about LinkedIn that people often overlook.

A good headline gets you noticed
Please please please update your headline. It's that little blurb of text that shows under your name/picture in search results. LinkedIn automatically creates a headline for you using your job title and company name. The vast majority of people don't even know they are allowed to make changes to improve their headline.

A good headline catches a reader’s attention and gives them enough information to decide that you’re someone they really want to find out more about. Pretend you’re a recruiter looking to hire someone to design your new consumer gadget. Which of the following two people are you going to be more interested in meeting?

John Doe - Product Designer at Apple Corp
-or-
John Smith - Product designer responsible for creating the original iPhone, a world-wide best seller and cultural phenomenon

If I’m the recruiter, I just clicked on John Smith’s profile and never gave John Doe a second thought.

I have a pretty goofy headline. I like it because it's actually true and super unique (not "Rockstar Ninja" or some buzzword BS), and usually sparks conversations with new connections and within companies I work at. To be honest though, I'm not sure how well it plays outside my current network/company. I didn't feel too compelled to be super serious when I was working my way up through entry level, but now that I'm facing moving up to a managerial role and starting to field some more recruiters, I don't want my inside joke of a headline to give some weird impression. Any opinions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DukAmok
Sep 21, 2006

Slig posted:

So is it kosher to just blind invite tons of people from the group? Otherwise there is maybe 1 person in my industry.

Absolutely. The thing about networks is they're crazy exponential and unpredictable. Adding 5 1st level connections can add hundreds of 2nd level connections, and tens of thousands of 3rds. It's also highly unlikely you'll ever need any of those, but you want to maximize the chances that that one special connection falls in your lap. Like Sarcasmatron said above, one connection can lead to dream gigs that bypass all of the usual HR hassle.

DukAmok
Sep 21, 2006

Pollyanna posted:

Ohhhhhhh, right.

Ok here it is

It's otherwise perfectly visible although the network restriction thing is still uh. a thing.

You have a massive summary, tone that down to one paragraph. You're just out of school, no one is expecting you to have pages and pages of experience anyway. This is just my opinion, but tone down the first person as well. I like resumes and things like this to be neutral and concise, "Graduate of WPI, experience in XYZ" instead of "I am a recent graduate from Worcester Polytechnic Institute, and have extensive experience in projects dealing with the nuances of XYZ".

Also you don't have a picture. I remember reading an article somewhere about the massive statistical advantage profiles with pictures have, but it really is a common sense thing. Doesn't have to be a headshot or anything, just a smiling shot is fine.

DukAmok
Sep 21, 2006

Finally asked for some references for my current job. There's an awkward middle ground where you don't want to ask for them too early, or too late, or make it appear you're looking to jump ship or anything. I think I hit the timing right, got a good reference out of the few requests I sent out.

Why I mention it, is that I saw a massive spike in profile visits following that. From existing connections, as well as from random people from all over the country. It seemed like common sense that LinkedIn would weight recent profile activity in search results and things like that, but I think I can say pretty conclusively that some quality references on your profile are worth chasing down if you're looking to increase your profile visibility.

DukAmok
Sep 21, 2006

C-Euro posted:

Not sure if this should go here but since LinkedIn led me to the problem I'll post it here- I was contacted by a woman from Recruiting Service A and had a very positive interview with them (I was actually interviewed by her partner- more on that later) last week, and they have put my profile up on their database for someone to hopefully hire me. Today I saw a job posting in a group that listed the contact info of someone working for Recruiting Service B, and when I called her about the job posting she told me about a few others that they have, and asked that I send my resume to her.

If I do this and Service B helps me find a job (which isn't a guarantee), am I stabbing my rep from service A in the back? I guess I don't owe them anything yet but it was a really successful interview (my rep followed up with me the next day, and I guess her partner that interviewed me said "[He] nailed the interview, you have to find him a job") and I would like to keep her as a contact and rep since I'm staying in this area for the foreseeable future. At the same time, I guess she has no way of finding out that I got a job through some other service, and she even encouraged to keep up my own job search on top of her help. I must be over-thinking this, right?

You're definitely over-thinking this. Recruiters are paid when they get you a job, so they're definitely on your side. However, they understand that you're out on your own and talking to other people too, that's part of why they're really pushy about getting in with you, trying to get you that job first. You don't owe them anything yet, just keep looking out for #1.

DukAmok
Sep 21, 2006

Mak0rz posted:

Is there any sort of difference (in terms of likelihood of your profile/resume getting looked at, considered, or put in the Interview Pile) between applying for jobs on LinkedIn and applying for them using some other method?

Naturally, it depends. I've seen LinkedIn jobs getting slightly fewer applicants than other jobs boards do, so if your prospective company is only posting to LinkedIn, it's a good sign your application will actually get looked at. 1/100 instead of 1/1000. I think the main advantage is the relatively painless process, 1-click apply forms are quite nice. That said, they're double edged, as HR managers now can even more quickly scan you. I'd bet most look first at your current LinkedIn title, and determine if they even want to bother from there.

Personally, my experience has been that companies that hire through LinkedIn tend to be slightly smaller, nothing said large company like a gigantic ATS with its own registration system. So I like applying through there, but tend to use it for less than half of total applications.

DukAmok
Sep 21, 2006

Mak0rz posted:

Thanks! This information is helpful, but I should have been more specific with my question: When there's a job ad posted on both LinkedIn and also on the company's website, do your chances differ with either method? I'm guessing there's too many factors in recruitment to get a straight answer, such as different teams being responsible for reviewing applicants from each medium, but intuitively I feel like sending a direct application would be better because it means more effort on the applicant's part.

Would that be a reasonable assumption?

I think you're reading too much into it. Your application is probably boiled down to an e-mail notification sitting in someone's task queue somewhere, I highly doubt they differentiate much. Personally I'd pick LinkedIn if it was posted in both places, but that's my judgment in my particular industry, I've seen it be more effective. No clue if that holds true across other industries as well. Also, couldn't really hurt to apply to both places.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DukAmok
Sep 21, 2006

PrivateEyeball posted:

I'm trying to get back into the whole LinkedIn deal. I've made an effort before but I've ended up making little progress. I'm mostly focusing on finding jobs in two areas:

1) Startups. Any sort of startup. I'm in San Francisco, so it's a hotbed. But there aren't a ton of startups recruiting on LinkedIn to my knowledge.

2) something in the games/tech industry.

Problem is, unless it's programming or design (which I don't know) or customer support (which I hate), I'm not picky. I'm REEEEEALLY not picky. Possibly to a fault. Could it be a problem that I'm open to exploration of drat near everything? Sales, PR, operations, biz dev, etc. My focus is to get out of retail and do something different.

Angel.co has a lot of startup type jobs. Mostly programmers, but the occasional "other" stuff too.

The unfortunate thing for you is being really not picky is not a skill in high demand. Look back at your work, school, and personal history and try and create a believable story of where you've been and where you want to go. Maybe that's Sales, PR, or who knows, but the only thing that matters is whether or not it's plausible to the hiring manager.

• Locked thread