Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

cheese eats mouse posted:

I work as a web developer in advertising and I'm currently underpaid by about a good 10k. I've been at my current employer for a year now. I like my current job, but my salary just barely covers bills with little room for saving. I spoke with a recruiter yesterday about an open position at another agency that could pay me the 10k for the same work I'm doing now, but it seems like our agency has always done some cleaning up after them with certain clients. Also, our company fired a guy that is now working at that agency. I DO like the work the prospective agency is doing way more than what we are putting out. It's weird for me because the career world here is super small so I'd be afraid of burning bridges or stepping on toes. I guess I just feel dirty? I know it's not personal, it's business, and I do like my boss and my co-workers. I'd be content if I could actually afford rent and to pay extra on my student loans.

Also recruiters are good right? I know the company and could apply without the recruiter.

If you're a competent webdev and barely paying the bills something is seriously wrong; you should be making a lot more. You are probably underpaid more than you think.

As for recruiters, they can be helpful in certain ways, but it sounds like you probably don't need their help. If you're comfortable doing so, contact the guy that you worked with and see if he can get your resume past the HR department. Alternatively, apply normally. If those avenues don't work, then maybe consider recruiters.

That's probably what I would do anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

I work at a very good company but one of my coworkers believes in qi, as in, that people can harness it for their own purposes and basically defy physics.

My point is: every company is likely to have at least one wacko, you shouldn't write them off for that.

• Locked thread