Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GTGastby
Dec 28, 2006

zmcnulty posted:

Sorry about this. Actually the mailbox feature of linkedin is blocked by my office VPN for whatever reason, so I'm only able to approve people when I'm at home.

If anyone else wants to be an admin of the group, just let me know. I asked in the last thread and got no volunteers. Or I could just make it a free group I guess, whatever you guys want.

What good is the group? Does it have a separate discussion board, or something? Can other people see that I'm in a group called "Stairmasters"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GTGastby
Dec 28, 2006

hitension posted:

It's fine if that's your personal style but people reading the thread should be aware that LinkedIn as a website really frowns upon this behavior and it can lead to account restrictions.

I've got to agree with this guy. No offense to the OP or others in this thread, but I don't see the benefit of adding anyone and everyone you can get to accept your invite. I only accept people I recognize, and only send invitations to people I personally know (although that could just be someone I've emailed with a lot at work).

If everyone was connecting with everyone else indiscriminately, it defeats the whole point of linkedin, and it might as well just be any other job search board. If you don't know the person, are they going to give you a recommendation? As we just saw, it's not likely. So really all it is doing is getting visibility to random recruiters, which from my point of view is more annoying than useful.

There's a marginal benefit to adding other people who use the same message board as you, but I wouldn't recommend adding someone you don't have any connection to at all.

Also, as mentioned, Linkedin also states you should only accept connections if you know the person.

GTGastby
Dec 28, 2006

Tony Montana posted:

I'm senior in the tech industry. I've made a ton of connections through LinkedIn, exactly as the thread has stated and it's working for me great. I advise people in the tech industry to ignore Tai-Pan completely.

I'm also senior in technology, and I agree with Tai-pan completely, as do most of the other senior level people on my linked-in. It might be fine if you are just starting out and don't know anyone, but I don't know any senior level people who just accept random requests from people they don't know.

For me, it's about the same level of annoyance as if some random person comes up to me at a bar or party and starts talking about work and asks about getting a job. Tai-Pan is definitely not the only one that feels that way.

GTGastby
Dec 28, 2006

fyrelore posted:

So this was kind of asked on the other page, but the answer given wasn't as helpful as I was expecting. How are you supposed to "connect" with others when Linkedin seems to be so strong against connecting with people you don't know? They have a message at the bottom warning you against connecting with people you don't know. I can't choose "I don't know [Name]" because then it'll tell me I can't send a connection request to people I don't know. I can't choose "Other" because it wants the person's email address. My only other options are lying about how I know the person, and I assume it'll be obvious to them when you're lying about being a colleague or classmate.

Is this advice pretty much outdated for new LinkedIn users starting with few/no contacts in their field of interest?

There's two different thoughts about linkedin - one is that it's a tool to connect with colleagues and friends in the business world that you actually know and would like to stay in touch with as you move through your career / bounce around companies. That school of thought has been pushed out of this thread, and you are left with the other option - that linkedin is just another recruiting website, so just lie and try to connect to as many random people you don't know as possible and hope for the best.

So to specifically answer your question, no - the advice is current - the other people in the thread think you should just ignore the warning from Linkedin and connect with any random person who is willing to accept your request. Doesn't matter what you put for the connection reason, as you obviously don't know them. I think it's silly.

• Locked thread