Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Thoguh posted:

I have generally given up on trying to prevent this thread from consisting of only lovely advice. But I do want to point out that the point of LinkedIn is the exact opposite of this mindset. As I posted earlier, you gain zero utility, and if anything have a negative impact, from adding random people that aren't actually part of your network. Linkedin exists to leverage your network, not to create a pretend one.

I don't want to start this debate again because I don't think it's going to be any more productive than the first time, so this is going to be the only reply I post on this subject.

I wrote the OP because the techniques I was using worked. I've gotten every job I've ever had save one by applying those techniques, so I don't think it's fair to argue that there's a negative impact, unless you think finding employment is a negative impact; nor do I feel that it's fair to call networks like mine "random" or "pretend" ones, considering that I successfully and repeatedly found employment as a direct result of building that network, with both a specific goal in mind and using a logical, reasoned approach, through the methods I described and explained the reasoning behind in the OP , to the best degree I was able to at the time.

The OP was written for the sole reason of wanting to help other goons. My word is not by any means gospel, and you are more than free to disagree with me. I would however appreciate it if you refrained from calling it lovely or implying it's bad advice because you disagree with it. The efficacy or utility of those techniques is not in doubt--res ipso loqitur. If you or anyone else would like to point out holes in or refinements to those methods, I would consider that to be very helpful and constructive. I would most likely also put those points in the OP as well to make it even more useful to others.

I would like for this thread to remain open and productive. I am concerned that if this derail starts again that the resulting discussion is going to going to draw the tender loving attentions of the mods. I would greatly appreciate it if you would please be considerate and try to not contribute to the potential closing or gassing of my first and so far only OP. Thanks. :)

HiroProtagonist fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Apr 10, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Hughlander posted:

Other than yourself of course. :) We know all about who you are.

Heh, well I couldn't avoid that. But at least Google searches on either my name or my forums handle won't bring up the other. I'm fine with that, at least. Anyone doing a serious background check or something will find a ton of links, but they probably would anyway even if I was trying to be incredibly secretive.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

schmagekie posted:

There was some discussion recently about searching for a job in a new location, but I don't think it was resolved. What's the best way to express interest in cities you don't currently reside?

I think the discussion was resolved, but at least on my end it was being done through PMs. Basically though, there's a couple different ways to go about it, depending on what the locations are and what the field you're in/are looking to be in is.

There are some professional organizations with regional chapters as separate or sub- groups that each have their own jobs board. You could also do a search for "recruiter" and restrict it to the city or region you'd prefer, then connect with all of them and send them a short message letting them know you're looking for a job in that area. You may not get replies or immediate interest, but if you see them looking at your profile then you can rest assured that they then have your information on file and will let you know if something comes up. Do try though to only send connection requests to recruiters working for the right companies and aren't in completely different fields, however. It's not terrible to do that, because recruiters do hop between jobs somewhat regularly, but if you're interested in getting a job within the next year it's probably not likely that they'll switch into a position with a companies or client in a timely enough manner.

You can also try putting (in bold, eye-catching letters) a statement at the top of your profile saying something to the effect of "I'm looking for a job in [CITY], please contact me if you have any open needs in that area" in addition to the above.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007
I just wanted to jump in and say that I really like and am proud of how active the Discussions area of the group on LinkedIn is. It seems like there are a lot of really helpful, intelligent and realistic comments being made. Good job, goons. :hfive:

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Doghouse posted:

It seems to me that no one that actually uses LinkedIn follows this.

Particularly because as soon as you send a connection request, LinkedIn sends you to a page that allows you to one-click connect with people "you might know." With zero justification.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007
This popped up on LinkedIn for me today, it was an interesting read and probably relevant to many people in this thread.

http://www.linkedin.com/today/post/article/20130416162512-15454-is-a-hiring-rebound-around-the-corner?trk=eml-mktg-condig-0108-p1

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ congrats! :)

Positive Optimyst posted:

Serious question for HiroProtaganist and anyone.

I am in the USA now. I recently left the education field and am going back into Sales (which I previously was working in).

In my LinkedIn account I want to change my "choose industry" in my "edit profile" to sales, but there is no "sales" and no "account executive" industry choice.

What am I to do?

Thanks.

I'd pay more attention to your listed title on Linkedin, which you can make to be anything you want, including "Sales Account Executive." I think as far as industry goes, if that really concerns you, "Sales and Marketing" or just "Marketing" would suffice just fine.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007
No problem at all. It's why I created this thread!

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007
It doesn't invite them automatically, it only imports the email addresses for you to choose whom to invite (same goes for Gmail, etc.). My recommendation is absolutely to do it.

It does not attach that email to your profile or anything else.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007
Definitely follow instructions. Reply saying something such as "Sure, no problem. Is there a place I can enter your name as a referrer, and if so would you be okay with that?"

This is as close to a guarantee as you can get that they'll give you some personal attention, because it tells them you know what's up with the recruiting game, and that they'll be rewarded for giving you a couple extra pushes towards the top of the stack. Almost every company offers referral bonuses, so for a recruiter who's already at least getting paid on commission, if not drawing a salary, it's pure gravy for them and a great incentive to help you out where they can.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Tiresias MKII posted:

So is there like a super secret password for stairmasters group? I feel like I need a lot of work on my profile. :sigh:

You can just join it? :confused:

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Quarex posted:

And here I thought Aquent was a scam, since I applied for a bunch of jobs there and uploaded my résumé since it said WE WILL TOTALLY GET YOU A JOB YOU SEATTLEITE YOU ;) and that was January. Of course, given that I have also used four other temp agencies since February and still have had zero offers, I do not know why I would be any more suspicious of Aquent than any other service.

Regardless, I still enjoy LinkedIn from a sort of detached artistic perspective. That is the perspective I have to have since as a non-business/computer-science person I clearly will never get a job from it.

I don't mean to belittle the effort you've put into that at all, believe me, but it's an unfortunate fact that the less-technical a position that you're looking for, the more aggressive you have to be about pursuing a position. Technically-oriented professions or specialized business-oriented skillsets can often garner interest based on a resume and qualifications alone, but more positioning yourself as a more creative professional (of whatever stripe) will more often require proactively approaching and pursuing specific people in order to get your foot in the door. In purely objective terms, I would definitely characterize uploading your resume to temp agencies and job search sites as the basic, bare minimum. Networking and communicating with the people you can identify as the key stakeholders for the position you'd like to have is key to landing a spot in one of them.

In other words, it's my basic mantra--visibility, visibility, visibility. If you aren't finding success with what you're doing, it's because you aren't finding and using enough different ways of shoving your name and resume in front of the right eyes.

Mr. Pool posted:

I'm employed, job hunting for a position in Chicago, but currently on the east coast. Many of the "Jobs you may be interested in..." ads are actually pretty interesting, but frustrating since I only want to look at jobs in Chicago. Is there any way to change the setting on this? I realize I could just change my current location to Chicago, but I don't want all of my colleagues to see that.

Search "Jobs" for the position you want, then use the filter to narrow it down to the Chicago/Chicago metro area(s) as desired.

HiroProtagonist fucked around with this message at 03:55 on May 15, 2013

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Azuth0667 posted:

Browsing linkedin lately is anyone else noticing that more and more "entry level" jobs are requiring 5+ years experience?

Don't sweat this, in my opinion. Ignore the listed "requirements" for experience if you think you'd be a good fit otherwise or for other reasons. Or, even better, simply apply to every single job you think you might like. Worst that can happen is that you get rejected, which is exactly what would happen if you declined to apply in the first place.

Rad R. posted:

I could use some advice about introduction letters, how to introduce myself to companies I want to work for. Keep in mind, I am an illustrator/content writer, and that implies a less serious tone that most professions. I've made some great connections via LinkedIn (some are now Facebook connections as well) and I'd like to offer my services in a friendly and professional way.

Just be warm and friendly, without crossing the line into "overly personal" or fawning. Infuse your own excitement about the possibilities of working with a company or for an individual and try to come across as genuine as possible.

It's difficult to give suggestions more specifically than that, because if you're trying to take a more informal approach the actual phrasing can vary wildly. Try to get a sense of how the person you're addressing prefers to interact by closely reading through their Linkedin profile and absorbing what you can of their personal writing style and communication quirks.

HiroProtagonist fucked around with this message at 17:53 on May 15, 2013

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007
Quote, not edit, etc.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007
Wouldn't mind doing a few peer reviews. Please PM me or post here if you'd like. Just so I know the request is directed at me in any case. :)

Or feel free to Linkedin message me if we're connected already.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007
Gotten a few profile reviews out. Rad R. were you requesting one from me in particular? I wasn't sure because you specifically cited people in the creative industry. I want to make sure nobody is getting ignored.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007
Feel free to hit "friend" as the method you know them. Recruiters will accept anyway. Most people don't even care how they "know" someone on Linkedin, and particularly when their job is specifically to network with others.

However, if you both share a group membership, that should be also available as a selection. If that's the case but you're unable to select it for some reason, then you're running into the nuances and inner workings of Linkedin's connections system that I don't and can't know too much about. Probably only their internal team members that work on it specifically might be able to say why or go into the details.

Again, if the case is that a common group membership isn't an acceptable reason to send someone a connection request, I could guess that perhaps you haven't been a member of the group long enough (based on some arbitrary length of time -- 24, 48 hours?). Another guess is that that reason for sending the connection request becomes less and less relevant as the size of the group in question becomes bigger and bigger (admittedly, a true statement), and so after a certain membership level, you can't choose that option as a reason to connect.

These are only guesses though, like I said--and in any case, feel free to bypass the question entirely by just choosing "friend."

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

VideoTapir posted:

Adjust your current salary to the cost of living in the location you're applying to, include any benefits not included in the new job. If I understand correctly you're looking at moving, right?

This is exactly what I would suggest to do.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Love Stole the Day posted:

Thank you for the tip on sending connect requests to people.

About this part of the op: about how long did this "period of time" take for you? During that time, did you just go back and forth to try and talk to recruiters a bit about things in general before asking them for a recommendation? How did you go about it? Did you perhaps work it into a conversation you were already having, for example?

Usually after I had been working with them for a while on one or more job opportunities. This could be anywhere from 2-3 weeks to a couple months, depending on the circumstances. Obviously the longer you work with someone the stronger the relationship is, but I would say in general that once you've worked closely with a recruiter on pursuing an open position you're probably in a good place to ask them if they'd be willing to write you a recommendation on Linkedin.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Erdricks posted:

I think the point is to game the LI search results so you appear ahead of others.

Exactly. Plus, you appear in more people's search results because of a larger number of 2nd degree connections (if not 1st degree connections) just because of your association with a recruiter-type with a much larger average number of 1st degree connections themselves.

Doghouse posted:

I don't understand the whole getting a recommendation from a recruiter thing. I mean, they don't even know you or have any idea whether or not you would be a competent employee.

The idea is to ask for a recommendation once they DO know you, i.e. asking for recommendations from recruiters you've personally worked with and established some form of professional rapport with.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

C-Euro posted:

I had an interview with a company today that I thought went pretty well, or at least the people who interviewed me seemed friendly enough. I searched LinkenIn and found a couple of them, would it be improper to send a connect request to any of them while they're still in the middle of making a hiring decision?

Nope!

If you can/should send connection requests to people who are (basically) total strangers, why not people you've actually met?

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Swags posted:

So I'm starting to put together my profile. Thing is, I'm currently living in Colorado Springs, Colorado, and I want to move to Seattle for this job. Any tips on how to make that work?

I'm an English major with basically no professional experience writing or editing, but that's what I really want to do. Hell, that's sort of what I went to school for. Last four years I've been working in a factory building semiconductors, but I want out of that, and out of here, and Seattle seems like a great place to start.

So you have a job in Seattle, or you're still looking to get one? In the former case, go ahead and switch your location to Seattle. You're going to move there at some point, presumably. Nothing wrong with that.

Just like gearing your resume towards a particular focus or set of qualifications, you can build your profile to tout specific qualifications of yours that enhance and highlight your suitability for a particular job set. In this case, editing. Minimize the experience that is irrelevant to your desired job or field, and flesh out the experience that is relevant. Make specific accomplishments that directly inform your qualifications for that desired job highly visible. Consider listing those specifics in the "Summary" field and putting that at the very top of your profile so that it's the first thing that visitors see and can best grab their attention.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Syndic posted:

What is the etiquette on contacting staffing managers/recruiters from firms that you have applied to or intend to apply to? In my case, I have applied for a job posting on LinkedIn with a particular firm and I'm keen to try to find ways to get myself noticed or differentiate myself.

I've identified the staffing manager for the firm's local offices and was considering sending them an InMail message expressing my interest and desire to learn more about the specifics of the role and life at the firm.

Is this poor form? Would it be seen as an unsolicited attempt to set up an informal interview during the selection process, or, would it be seen as a sign of genuine interest?

Thoughts please!

No. In fact, that's more or less what I'd personally recommend you do. :)

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007
I'm not experiencing an issue as far as I know. My best advice would be to write up a support ticket and submit it to their help team.

Or just wait and see if it goes away on its own from people most likely working on fixing it already.

Is this an issue brand new as of today? If it is there's a chance that people at LinkedIn aren't aware of it if it's a spotty problem. If 3-5 goons alone are affected though I doubt it's an "intermittent issue" and probably affects a significant number of other people.

E: gently caress me, didn't notice new page

As far as putting "look at me!'s" in your profile, measure once, cut twice. If it's specific to jobs that you would prefer or are applying for, put it in BOTH your professional summary at the top of your profile as well as under the specific work history entry that it's relevant for. You want people to notice those kinds of discriminators.

HiroProtagonist fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Sep 3, 2013

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

I already have about 20+ area recruiters as connections on LinkedIn that place people in my field. Most of them I picked up not through LinkedIn, but weirdly enough, through Careerbuilder (with a minority from Monster). Is anyone having any similar luck with other post-your-resume sites? I have only very recently had any luck with LinkedIn.

By the way, if you are on a resume site, update the resume once a month even if it is the same document. Otherwise you won't get calls. Expect an insurance company to send you an automail within the hour that you upload--ignore that and wait for actual recruiters.

I think Careerbuilder recently changed its name to "jobserious" or something like that (unless it was a different company). I'm not getting emails from Careerbuilder anymore, in any case.

Jobserious and especially ZipRecruiter both seem to be decent resume-uploading sites. Applying to jobs on ZipRecruiter in addition to Linkedin is especially a good option, a lot of the recruiters on Linkedin cross-post jobs to ZipRecruiter so in some cases it may be a shortcut to getting the jobs you want. Check it out if you're interested. It does still lack the subtle personal engagement that you get with Linkedin, but the efficiency of sniffing out the specific jobs you're most interested in might appeal more to others.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007
I can't speak to jobserious but ZipRecruiter is definitely legit, I know for sure the in-house recruiter at one of my past jobs used it a lot.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007
I wrote a fair bit of :words: about how to do exactly that in the OP. Take a look and feel free to ask any questions you have when you're done.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Boris Galerkin posted:

Does it look bad or do people even care if I have a ton of contacts? I added a few recruiters in my field and like y'all said I can now add more recruiters with those second degree contacts. What if I just added recruiters who weren't necessarily in my field, just to have more connections? Is that fine?

Edit: And let's use Google as an example. If I'm connections with one Google recruiter then should I bother adding the other Google recruiters that show up when I search? If I add them should I also start talking to them about positions (if I'm already talking to the first guy)?

These are some odd questions. No, why would anyone care if you have a ton of contacts? At most people will go "huh, look at that guy with over 500 contacts." If you're adding recruiters that aren't in your field just to add them, it depends on your ultimate purpose for doing so. If that is to have broader reach and visibility, at worst, you're wasting your time but doing no other harm. And at best, you're doing exactly what you intended to do.

As for the second part, go ahead, why not? If they'll talk to you, then talk to as many people as you'd like. Add whomever you like. That's really the bottom line. The "best" networking is really measured in how successful you are in achieving your goals. Networking is not a goal in and of itself, it's a very helpful means to an end.

Disco Dickdog posted:

I recently got internal recommendations for a couple of positions at the same company. Is it okay to message and add someone who I think is the recruiter for one of those positions, basically just saying "Hi, I applied online for position XXXXXX, please make sure to consider me."? What should that message look like, or is that strategy likely to backfire?

Thanks!

If you have internal recommendations, why not have those people go to the recruiter themselves and then tell you who it is (or at least send the recruiter an email themselves and forward it to you afterwards) so you have their contact info?

Then all you need to do is send a message to the recruiter once your internal contacts let you know they spoke to the recruiter and recommended you to them. Something like "Hi, I'm YOURNAME, and my friend XXXXXXX told me he spoke to you about this position YYYYYYYY that he thinks I'd be great for. I already applied online to kick things off, but I attached my resume here for your convenience. I look forward to speaking with you in the future about this opportunity. Thanks, YOURNAME."

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007
Yeah, it's probably not you. I know just for me personally even, I don't visit Linkedin even daily. Sometimes I get a message that seems time-sensitive that I reply to within an hour or a few, but that's rare. A lot of people wouldn't consider a week's gap between initial request/question and first reply to be extraordinary at all, it really just depends on the person and their habits in using the site.

However, if you're sending InMail and not connecting first (even if you select "friend" or similarly almost meaningless reason), more than likely they're de-prioritizing responses to you without meaning to. I don't think I've ever sent an InMail once, as all of my correspondence happens after I connect with someone. Either I phrase the question in the connection request or send it afterwards, but either way the connection is the first step. (and I should add, send that message quick after they accept)

That being said there's nothing wrong that I can see with what you're doing in practice. Try connecting before messaging, or play around with your phrasing to see what works.

The main thing is, don't take it personally or assume you did something wrong if someone doesn't respond immediately or even the same day. Recruiters still have quite a bit of offline work to do, and social networking even for business reasons is probably going to take a back seat until you establish yourself as a prospect in their mind. In networking, quality is definitely secondary to quantity after a certain point. Even better, the more you do it, the more successful and easier of a time it becomes the next time you reach out to someone.

HiroProtagonist fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Oct 9, 2013

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007
Nope, most likely not. :)

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007
Since this thread seems more geared towards those in a technical/STEM field and/or those seeking Federal contracting positions, given the nature of Linkedin (for better or worse*):

I was thinking of reorganizing the OP a bit to add sections specific to various industries, populated from advice given in the thread as well as any future contributions. Thoughts?

**: Linkedin NOT being solely intended for those types of positions; more meaning that, to a person unfamiliar with Linkedin and not in one of the aforementioned fields, it will take a more substantial level of effort for the same payoff, all other things being equal.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007
You can use the Projects feature to do that yes, or adopt the resume style method of listing both positions individually with the responsibilities appropriate to each one. It's ultimately your call and really depends on how much emphasis you want to place on one or the other by calling it out like that. If it's not really important to do so, just combine the titles as suggested in the above post along with their responsibilities in one entry.

There's no real right or wrong way to do it, much like most things--adopt a reader's perspective though and consider it from that standpoint.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007
Hey guys, let's not start this crap again. If you don't like accepting unsolicited connection requests, that's fine. If you think it's a good idea to send them, that's also fine. It's even fine to state your opinion and follow it with "and here's why."

What's really not helpful is to do the above and then talk down other points of view, particularly when the OP is in direct opposition to the advice being given at the time.

I can guarantee that there is plenty of room for competing viewpoints to coexist at the same time and each still be perfectly valid.

There is also another point to consider, and one particularly true in the current economic climate, that it does prospective job hunters and LinkedIn newbies no favors when you advise them to not act hungry and aggressive about seeking out employment opportunities.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007
Honestly I am not sure it matters a whole lot. I doubt anyone cares enough to investigate the possibility that someone may or may not have "swapped recommendations." There is also a number of perfectly legitimate reasons that two people would recommend each other that casts no aspersions on the value of either recommendations.

Don't overthink things.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007
It isn't really germane to Linkedin, imho.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

meanieface posted:

Since Bright was acquired by LinkedIn, do you think LI will be scoring resumes for jobs? Will it allow recruiters to filter based on a score?

Is this something we're going to have to figure out how to min/max and game like.. well.. goons?

No. Alternatively, let's wait and see.

Zarin posted:

As I am applying to jobs through LinkedIn, should I try and connect with the person who posted the job right after applying? I know a lot of times the people who posted the jobs are probably not even the people that will be reviewing any of the material.

Of course, the goal of connecting is two-fold: to increase connections, and to send the person a message immediately after they accept, to express my interest in the position.

I'm thinking perhaps I should connect with a person situationally, depending on how it looks like they use LinkedIn. 500+ connections? You bet I'm hitting that button. Less than 200? Maybe not.

Does this seem like a good strategy, or am I completely missing something?

Personally, I think you're on the right track. That's more or less my own thought process. Making that personal connection is what Linkedin is all about, in regards to job hunting. The bigger and better impression you can make, the more beneficial.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007
You can reply with a negative or simply ignore it. It's literally less socially acceptable to harass or otherwise provoke a response from someone than it is to simply ignore unwanted solicitation.

Actually, that is a great way to see it--think of it as an advertisement on TV, because that's essentially what it is. Do you reply with a negative to every ad you see on TV? Of course not, so don't sweat it.

It is however a great way to forge initial connections with almost zero-effort on your part though, it should also be said. Acknowledging someone's unsolicited inquiry is a pretty good way to show you value them; a polite thanks but no thanks will almost certainly make a positive impression on the sender.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007
More changes rolled out to the site recently that have now even further increased the number of places Linkedin puts pressure on you directly to increase the size of your network. They are flat out telling you themselves that every new connection helps you at minimum to increase your visibility to others.

If there was any doubt remaining that the site really means to have an implied "... but only if you know them in REAL LIFE!" tacked on to the end of that in every place you see it, I think it should be fading quickly.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Thoguh posted:

Dude, someone just posted that following your advice got them locked down as a spammer. That probably means that LinkedIn does not agree with you on that.

Actually, at most, it means the people who received the connection requests didn't appreciate receiving them. Or, it could have been a result of some over-zealous anti-spambot fuzzy logic algorithm working entirely in the background, and in reality, not a single person he sent those requests to even came near the report button. Fact is, there's no way to know without receiving additional information and feedback on the reason why. There is also the fact that this is the first report I've ever heard of someone specifically being limited in any way in regards to sending connection requests, rather than because of a recipient's individual privacy and visibility settings--let alone just within this thread.

Also keep in mind that a large portion of the site's active users are doing exactly the opposite of that and yet aren't being obstructed in any way. And as I've just pointed out, the site is pushing you to actively send out connection requests and there is a near-zero chance that Linkedin's administrators are completely unaware that a significant portion of their site is making use of that feature as a primary method of reaching a wider audience for the purpose of self-promotion.

Tai-Pan posted:

But you are not "connected", are you?
They just accepted a meaningless invitation.

You're not wrong. Every single connection you make on the site is 'meaningless' by a reasonable definition from the moment it's accepted.

I want to make this next statement exceptionally clear, so please excuse the formatting.

Linkedin, even at it's best, is not a substitute for finessing social interactions or putting in effort towards your own self-promotion. It is up to you, and only you, to make use of the tools and opportunity the site gives you to do that.

That is what makes Linkedin the best tool, better by far than any resume-searching site, for finding employment; it is precisely that explicit space allowed for personal interactions with strangers, colleagues and peers alike, that is a foundation of the site's design making it why that is so.

If you choose not to take advantage of that capacity, to whatever degree you also choose, then that is a choice you are making for yourself that everyone gets the opportunity to make as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

moflika posted:

Welp, that was fun while it lasted :suicide:

Goodbye Linkedin!

Welp indeed. :stare:

I'm really sorry, that's a pretty awful thing to have happen to you.

• Locked thread