Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

likw1d posted:

When adding recruiters what is everyone usually specifying? I am in the process of taking advantage of all the info on this thread and am curious to know what everyone else chooses when connecting with recruiters.

Recruiters don't care. You're doing them a favor by reaching out to them first, rather than vice versa.

Alder posted:

Not yet, I guess I could try mass-friending them. How do I tell that they're recruiters?

It should be easy enough to tell from their title and/or position. Not sure if you mean something else here.

Alder posted:

I made a profile and joined a ton of job boards but so far it's been ineffective. Maybe I need to join more groups? Find more contacts? It's been 1 month and I think I may have to re-think my strategy for gainful employment.

FWIW: I'm a 23 yr old college student so not a whole lot of exp from prior jobs and I can't afford to do a internship(s) living in NYC. Yes, I even joined the college group.

Very likely your network isn't large enough. Remember that, as I wrote in the OP, when starting basically from scratch, joining groups is only an intermediary step to gaining access to people to connect with (recruiters, and high profile Linkedin folks as well). Getting access to the job postings themselves is nice, but also as I wrote, still a secondary benefit to doing so.

It's not the worst thing in the world to send connection requests to a lot of people, but try to be somewhat discerning about it.

This is for two main reasons--first, a few people (as evidenced by some posts in this thread) really don't appreciate unsolicited connect requests, even though the vast majority of Linkedin users don't care. Fortunately, people that are not only tolerant but enthusiastic about open networking usually make that fairly clear in one way or another, and those that are not are also not going to have large networks of their own to give your profile the wide audience that you want anyway.

Second, we still don't know (and are unlikely to ever learn) what internal algorithms Linkedin uses to identify spammers and sending "too many" connection requests in whatever arbitrary period of time risks running afoul of them. Again, this is a negligible concern if you simply take a reasoned, deliberate approach when identifying people to connect with in the first place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Alder posted:

Welp, that's good to hear at least my LinkedIn account won't be banned anytime soon. Out of curiosity if there's any known scams involved w/this site as I've been getting random requests from people who may or may not be bots. So far I've been trolling the hiring boards like elsewhere.

Honestly, it doesn't matter. Scams, whatever they might be, if they exist, should be easy enough to identify at some point early on, and since success on LinkedIn is fundamentally in some way always going to be a function of your network, any kind of cost that connecting with a scammer might incur you, the long term benefit still outweighs that.

If we get to a point where LinkedIn scans become a legitimate everyday concern, that might change obviously. For now though, connections are going to always be, far and away, a net benefit to you personally.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Ossipago posted:

I had let my Linkedin profile go for a while and came back to discover they no longer consider sharing group membership a 2nd degree connection, so you're now hit with the "how do you know (name)" questions that can prevent you from connecting if you don't have another legitimate reason to know someone...

...except with the mobile app, which still lets you connect with reckless abandon with a single click to anyone you're in a group with (unless that individual has a setting to prevent it). The caveat here is no personalization to the invite, but it seems a lesser evil in order to quickly bolster your connections. There's a handy combined feed of recent posts to all the groups you're in, so you can just scroll and connect to all the active posters super fast. I invited 30 contacts all with gigantic networks, mostly recruiters, in under 10 minutes this way. Yay for mobile, I guess.

This works on desktop too--if you click to connect one of the "suggested" contacts, you don't get asked for a reason, and it takes you to a view where you can send connection requests to loads of people, all with one click and no reason to specify.

ObsidianBeast posted:

Does that "legitimate reason" ever even show up to the person you're trying to connect with? I've never seen that when I get emails saying someone wants to connect with me, and 99% of those emails are the stock "I'd like you add you to my personal network" and I usually connect anyway. A lot of people get hung up on that "how do you know this person" but I don't think that has any effect on anything.

I don't think so, I've also never seen anything but the same generic message when someone sends me a connection request.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007
bumping this, just realized it's been quiet.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007
I don't think anyone ever sees what happened to a connection request unless it's accepted. I am almost positive it works the same way as friend requests on Facebook do. So feel free to deny/ignore.

If someone is still available to connect after you are sure you sent one, more than likely they simply have not logged in to see it yet. Most people are not on Linkedin every day or even every week.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Jyrraeth posted:

Is there any way to get LinkedIn to stop recommending me jobs completely outside of my experience range on the dashboard? Or should I just ignore it completely. It keeps asking me if I'm interested in applying for Vice President of Engineering and I don't know if I can make it show me anything meaningful at all.

I believe this has more to do with the posters of those jobs paying extra so they show up as "featured" or something. If you think about it from a business' standpoint, it makes a bit of sense to make sure your most senior positions that are open get seen as much as possible. But I could be wrong and this is another example of bad algorithmic matching on Linkedin's end too.

It's also dumb from another perspective, since C-level execs most frequently get new gigs by word-of-mouth, not random mostly-untargeted Linkedin emails.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007
Bumping thread. Hoping that means everyone has gotten a job though!

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007
Sorry guys, for some reason my own thread kept slipping off the first page of my bookmarks and I never even noticed people posting. Welp. :v:

huhu posted:

I interviewed for a position, followed up the next day, and a week and a half later, yesterday, he added me on LinkedIn without a message or email... Thoughts?

Don't read into it. Absent minded clicking, or you should assume as much until otherwise shown. A lot of people (like me) import email contacts into Linkedin and if you do so, anyone that emails you or that you email yourself has a good chance of showing up in the huge fuckoff list of people it gives you the option of connecting with.

If he did add you for a specific reason, it's either because he wants to take a more in-depth look at your experience or to keep tabs on you in general for whatever reason. Whether he actually did or didn't, that is one very good reason why it pays to really put thought into the content of your profile and make deliberate decisions about what to list and how best to display it.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007
Yes recommendations are required for LI to consider your profile "fully complete." I think they asked for three, but that's from years ago and might have changed. Once you get one though you'll know that if it doesn't tell you it's complete the answer is still three.

From an SEO perspective it still makes sense to weight results' relevance to prioritize "fully complete" profiles because the logic is that searchers will be more likely to find more of what they're looking for in a more complete profile versus a profile that is, say, little more than a default picture and a company name and position.

Because of that, unless someone has hard evidence that results aren't being weighted towards fully complete profiles I will still recommend people get their LI to "fully complete" as one of the first steps.

As far as recommendations are concerned, back when I did it I asked coworkers that I was friendliest with for them and usually those were people I had helped out or done favors for already so it was good motivation for them. If you're unemployed now it can be harder, but unless you're straight out of college you should still be able to reach out to some former coworkers or something from your last job, or (preferably) an old boss or two. If you *are* straight out of college, asking professors, mentors, etc. is still perfectly fine and valid and people would expect to see that sort of thing from someone with little or no work history.

As a related recommendation from me, I would advise people to remove all the goofy extra poo poo from their profile too. Only leave the stuff LinkedIn asks for to get to fully complete status. I am aware that they've started popping up that crap urging you to fill out more extraneous sections every time you visit your own profile but for the most part ignore it and focus on the completion status.

Most of the time all that extra poo poo is just clutter and detracts from the overall purpose and goal of your profile. If you have valid accomplishments or volunteer experience or what not, by all means call that out somewhere though, just not front and center unless it's directly applicable to your general field desired or jobs you're looking to get. Fluff definitely won't help though and could easily cause people browsing around to come off with a negative impression.

fake edit: just in case, recommendations are like reviews while endorsements are pointless and dumb. They sound related enough that I could see people mixing them up, so make sure you don't get one confused for another.

HiroProtagonist fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Apr 13, 2016

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

CarForumPoster posted:

What evidence do you have that they don't use the endorsements section as an SEO metric? It seems very obviously geared toward that it's literally keywords that people give you "PageRank" style endorsements for.

I don't, but actively collecting them is just not worth the effort compared to seeking out, say recommendations, or taking other active measures to get your profile in front of eyes, such as seeking out and messaging recruiters directly. Nobody is going to look at your profile and be impressed by your endorsements unless they're a total fuckwit :)

Besides, chances are you'll passively collect them anyway as people mindlessly click on poo poo throughout the site, or at least I do. I get several a week, I'm sure from LI's suggestion popups. Building your network means you'll passively gain more, and since that's your goal anyway... :shrug: Hopefully you see my point.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Totally TWISTED posted:

I have no recommendations or reviews written and I am at the all-star level or whatever the top level is called. They may boost your search but the LI visible level can be maxed out regardless.

Hmm, verrrrry interesting. Would you might PMing me a link to your profile so I can check it out and see what you have completed? This may warrant some edits to the OP if I can figure out what might be included.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Totally TWISTED posted:

PM sent via Awful app, lemme know if you don't get it.

Okay, so the results were inconclusive. I couldn't tell any difference between my profile and yours other than the lack of recommendations, so my only possible conclusion is that this was once a requirement but at some point it stopped being required. If you remember when you hit 100% that might be the only thing that helps further.

I know my profile was 100% complete before the rollout of LinkedIn's redesigned site in the summer/fall of 2012 (pretty sure that's when it was), so the profile building advice given in the OP was based on my experience with doing that going as far back as 2009, in addition to what I had discovered through using LinkedIn since the 2012 redesign in the course of finding a new job.

I also very clearly remember being badgered to complete my profile by getting recommendations, but again that was in 2009ish.

All this leads me to conclude that, at least by spring 2013 if not the fall 2012 redesign, LinkedIn stopped making recommendations a requirement for a "fully complete" profile.

However, this doesn't mean they're any less critically important to have. It's possible that they were removed as a milestone for profile completion to cut down on the number of bullshit meaningless recommendations floating around but that's just speculation. You still need and should get them, but I'll edit the OP to clarify that the reasoning isn't specific to completing your profile.

For those still having trouble getting to the point where your profile is "fully complete," LinkedIn should be telling you, somewhere (circle graphic on the right on a desktop browser), what you need to meet the requirements. If you haven't completed anything in your title card, haven't listed your schools, haven't picked a skillset, or have a small number of connections, I'd look to those first.

FadingChord posted:

The circle graphic is still a little far from 100% full but it's stopped bothering me to add stuff and just pats me on the back now.

Yeah I'm pretty sure this is just a weird visual design omission but I don't think they ever fill up. I'm close to 1000 connections so if there's some kind of "elite" tier or something reserved for LIONs or others of the sort, I might find out then. At one point I think I had more connections than any other goons on LI but that may well not be the case for you hardcore clickers out there.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

RC and Moon Pie posted:

Is there anything on LinkedIn, save for a few job postings here and there, that is actually good for writers?

I'm a newspaper sports writer (90 percent which is local preps). I've poked around at some writing groups, but they all seem to be filled with bad opinion columns. Especially the sports ones.

I'm looking to escape towards something more creative, even pr/marketing-type stuff. Not straight sales, though.

As a writer myself (but of a different sort), I've been hit up by a couple people looking for freelance work. So yes, they exist. Copywriting/marketing is one of the easiest ones to break into. It's a very social profession, so if you just mix you're bound to come up with a few leads naturally. More creative, less professional (read: less white collar office) lines of work I'm less qualified to say.

I believe the way that people happened across me is by peppering my profile with marketing buzzwords, since I did a bit of it at one time. Work your networking and assuming you did the same thing as I did, you'll probably find some leads on a marketing gig.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007
Pretend I emptyquoted all of the posts about Taleo.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

ProperCoochie posted:

1) I'd like to remain hidden from some people at an old company, certain petty individuals would love to see what I'm currently up to. I've blocked a couple already, but I'm unsure if that's enough. I've listed my old company although I did not Follow it. I notice quite a few people don't have a name but display LinkedIn Member, should I do the same?

You can disable your profile updates being published in your connections' news feeds using a toggle on the right that's visible when you're in edit mode on your profile, however short of blocking people there is no way that I know of to selectively limit your information from certain people.

The "Linkedin Member" thing is almost certainly because they've selected to not display their name to third degree connections. I don't recommend that because maximizing your visibility to others is the general goal and strategy behind job hunting on Linkedin. Of course that decision is up to you ultimately.

ProperCoochie posted:

2) I don't want nosy social media connections (college acquaintances, ex-GFs, etc.) browsing through all my information, but I do want recruiters to be able to view my profile and contact me.

Again, this is not really possible and in fact probably the opposite of what you should be doing--that's my take. I'm not sure why you'd want to do this but it's up to you. There's only so much you can get from a Linkedin profile (compared to say, a Facebook profile that many people have had for 10+ years at this point). But again, you do you.

ProperCoochie posted:

3) In the Description field, should I just copy and paste the bullet list from my resume? Or is a brief summary more appropriate? Should I list general duties, major projects, or what? And again, should I just slightly tweak the information from my resume? I'd really appreciate advice here.

I want to say this is covered in some detail in the OP but if you view my posts in this thread with the "?" button under my av, I know I've written about this before and that should still be fully applicable now. There are also probably applicable posts from other people near any relevant posts you find this way.

ProperCoochie posted:

4) Where can I list my experiences with specific hardware, software, network administration and monitoring and security and protocols and so on?

The best place for this is probably in your 'Summary' block. Alternatively, you could split it up among your 'Experience' entries but this is very situationally dependent. If you've worked with a wide variety of specialized technologies that were mostly only applicable to one position and not others, for example, then I'd say split them up. Conversely if you've worked with more generalized technologies that could apply to multiple kinds of roles and positions, I'd list them by category in the summary.

Bear in mind that the Summary block is almost the only part that you can guarantee any visitors to read, so definitely hit the highlights there. Adding a raw dump of keywords at the very bottom of the Summary block where it will minimize the clutter is something I've done, but that was at a point in the past where it was readily apparent that people were still doing Monster-style keyword searches looking for hits. Don't know if that's still common or not, but I have no reason to think otherwise at least. It works, though.

ProperCoochie posted:

5) I'm worried about worlds colliding and what it looks like. My friends and experiences working in bands/music production should be separate from my tech career. I'm worried about appearing unprofessional, I don't want it to look like I'm trying to be a Cool Dude (I'm not). I want to appear like a professional and serious employee (I am).

I don't know what this means really--it almost sounds like you have skeletons in the closet or something that you want to keep hidden. There's no reason to worry if you stick to professional qualifications and a professional tone in your profile, and don't go listing your favorite bands or all the holiday destinations you've been to or something. If you don't want to include the music stuff, then don't.

ProperCoochie posted:

Edit - 6) Is it possible to move around my Experience list? The previous section at the top of my page lists a not-serious job next to serious jobs. I prefer to have the list at the top and the Experience list below in a different order.

You can freely reorder anything (positions, profile sections, etc.) by dragging and dropping in most cases. Before you worry about adding anything, I'd go through and purge everything from the older version of your profile that you want to get rid of, before adding more. Otherwise you'll run the risk of editors fatigue and probably leave stuff in that you'd rather not, just from your eyes glazing over from scrolling up and down so much.

ProperCoochie posted:

Ideally, I'm only using LinkedIn to find a job (or have a job find me), I don't care about adding friends, seeming popular, boasting My Brand. Can anyone offer guidance and/or assurance?

Thank you so much for reading.

Well, you're in the right place, because everything aside from the first purpose is out of scope for this thread (and really inappropriate for Linkedin in general, imo). Though it's fair to say that doing all of this is actually the definition of boosting your personal brand.

Try and loosen up a bit too--it'll do you good when you start getting interviews. :)

HiroProtagonist fucked around with this message at 14:33 on May 17, 2016

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

12 Twelve Twelved posted:

What job boards are you folks using besides linkedin? I'm a program manager in tech, if that helps.

I'm back on the market after my linkedin success story 2 years ago. I've been directly messaging recruiters like before, but have had less success. I have 6 years of experience now, and 1 year at the senior level. A bit surprised at the low response rate. Either people started using linkedin correctly so recruiters are desensitized or I'm just targeting established companies with higher volume (Microsoft, Amazon, etc.)

Probably a little bit of both. Since I wrote the OP I've seen the advice appear in different forms in a lot of different forms and formats. Also, larger, established companies tend to hire mid-to-senior levels by headhunting them directly, so a C-level potential employee generally gets picked up through targeted recruitment rather than wideband trolling on Linkedin. Whatever else, Linkedin is definitely more useful for people without a personal (face-to-face) network to work off of.

Leverage your title in your name card, and start really taking a fine toothed comb to your position descriptions and experience, is the best advice I can give. Make sure to include relevant metrics too, and don't be afraid to softball them. Not saying make poo poo up, but do things like consider using potential revenue in place of actuals, and above all else, use numbers.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007
Just cleaned up the backlog in join requests. Sorry if you'd been in limbo for so long.

Also hello nice new slick looking group management interface.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

The strategy that always works for me is finding openings, be it via linkedin, company website, or some other job board, and then getting in touch with people through linkedin. They almost never view my profile.

That's fair and in fact in my perception would be a keynote that this person knows how to close. People that know how to get close to and interact with the gatekeepers are how you spot the gold as far as people-managers as far as I'm concerned.

For other thread content, I give you this, a survey I got sent from linkedin about their service. The fact that they'd have to send this is either because of my engagement with the site or a sign it's going downhill fast. Probably both, considering how much spam I've been seeing in the last two years and the fact that my professional email address is suddenly getting spam in the past 6 months in particular. I would guess that they sold a bunch of user data and it didn't quite boost their revenue, but who knows.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

BULBASAUR posted:

I had a massive spike in spam about half a year ago and I traced it to my linkedin profile. Not sure how it happened, but I had to change my address as a result.

It could have something to do with this:
http://arstechnica.com/security/2016/05/then-there-were-117-million-linkedin-password-breach-much-bigger-than-thought/

Welp. Would make sense though.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007
Sorry for the late response, I didn't see your post.

Unfortunately I've literally never commented on anything on Linkedin, and if I've hit "like" on something it was almost certainly by accident. So I'm not an expert on this particular question. :(

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

If someone were determined to find it (i.e. you are Donald Trump and everyone saves what you say/pull off of social media) they could find it, whether or not you deleted it. If you just go back to the comment, I am near-certain you can delete it. I just searched Google for "My name" site:linkedin.com to see if I could see anything I commented on, and it didn't even bring up group discussion posts, which I know I've made. LinkedIn's social media feed is useless, much like skill endorsements. Most normal people are just going to look at your profile and any other open public social media you have.

This was my belief but I didn't feel confident enough in it on my own to say as much. I don't know how Linkedin search would bring up discussion comments, but I wasn't ready to say it wasn't possible from my own knowledge.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007
I do it, going by the maxim of BLUF. If someone wants someone with an ITIL cert who's a member of a professional association for proposal managers, it's all there in my tagline.

If people think it's dumb, they probably weren't looking for someone with my skills and experience, so I'm fine with it. Important degrees/certs or rare certs for a particular skillset are all fair game imo. No need to limit post-nominals to only graduate degrees.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007
Your phrasing is a bit wonky, but essentially yeah. Just switch "in locating a new career for me" with "on any open opportunities you may have currently."

Also try posting a short summary of your qualifications in relevant groups and mention that you're seeking new opportunities.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

momtartin posted:

So when you're posting that you're available for work on various groups, do you post that in conversations or groups?

Groups should have a "Jobs" tab, unless I'm mistaken and something has changed, that'd probably be the best place to post something.

I'm not entirely sure what you mean by "conversations," though.

edit: never mind, makes sense now. Yes, I would post it as a "conversation" in the Jobs tab.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

So is there any downside to spamming connections to anyone in my area with the word "recruiter" in their title?

I plan on making the most of this tactic by following up with my e-mail address and an offer to send my resume and chat about possible positions.

This is in fact the recommended tactic. ;)

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

There's a couple of companies in my area with 10,000+ employees with positions I'm interested in. I'm applying on their websites, but the listings don't give a contact and the companies have a bunch of people in HR/Recruitment. What's the best way to try to reach out to them on or off LinkedIn? Should I just pick someone with the most recruitment like title, shoot them a connection, and hope they accept so I can message them?

If you are connecting with the intent of boosting your application's visibility, that is fine, but unless you are going to message people about general opportunities instead, messaging them about submitted applications might be a little too aggressive. The former is fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

Is there a good way to follow up in this situation, or am I already sunk by going in without knowing anyone before applying? I'm probably overqualified for the positions I'm applying to, but I'm underpaid by about 50% and my current employer is an overrun psych ward so I'm trying to look like the perfect candidate without smelling strangely desperate.

Not exactly already sunk, no, but it would have probably been more effective to let them take a look at your qualifications first and then filter through the open positions for you instead. This is good because it's already getting started on building a good rapport and working relationship, as well as having the potential for matching you to opportunities you might have missed when looking yourself, or opportunities that are unpublished or internally sourced and not publicly posted.

Can't hurt to say hi and get their attention, even so. But gunning for a recruiter to hound them about submitted applications is a good way to get ghosted on and would probably come off as pretty desperate, if that's an impression you want to avoid.

Also bear in mind that there is no guarantee any single person will respond to you or actually make any effort in response to a contact. This is something to accept as a fact of life and is the reason for casting a wide net by contacting as many people as you can find (if you're so inclined).

I know I was underpaid out the door and others have even more impressive stories earlier in life, but I wanted to share what I've been able to achieve largely thanks to linkedin, hard work, and networking. I'm 28 and while I've always been ambitious, I don't consider myself an exception person. If you're reading this thread from the pit of work related despair, don't give up, keep at it, and take those calculated risks. Linkedin is harder to use than before, but it's a very very valuable tool if you know how to use it.

These are always great stories to hear. :) Congratulations on your success!

HiroProtagonist fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Sep 19, 2016

• Locked thread