Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Disco Dickdog
Nov 30, 2007
I recently got internal recommendations for a couple of positions at the same company. Is it okay to message and add someone who I think is the recruiter for one of those positions, basically just saying "Hi, I applied online for position XXXXXX, please make sure to consider me."? What should that message look like, or is that strategy likely to backfire?

Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Disco Dickdog
Nov 30, 2007

HiroProtagonist posted:

If you have internal recommendations, why not have those people go to the recruiter themselves and then tell you who it is (or at least send the recruiter an email themselves and forward it to you afterwards) so you have their contact info?

Then all you need to do is send a message to the recruiter once your internal contacts let you know they spoke to the recruiter and recommended you to them. Something like "Hi, I'm YOURNAME, and my friend XXXXXXX told me he spoke to you about this position YYYYYYYY that he thinks I'd be great for. I already applied online to kick things off, but I attached my resume here for your convenience. I look forward to speaking with you in the future about this opportunity. Thanks, YOURNAME."

It's a pretty big company, and the 'internal recommendation' is just a peoplesoft note on my online application, as far as I can tell. (I told my friend which roles I was interested in on the company's job bank, then he sent me emails with special links to each position) The roles I applied for are both similar to my friend's job, but on different teams, and each team seems to have their own recruiters, so I'm not sure if he knows the recruiters for other teams.

Edit: I am also applying for similar roles with other companies without the internal recommendations. If I find the recruiters for those teams, is it reasonable to add/contact them directly as well?

Disco Dickdog fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Sep 20, 2013

• Locked thread