Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs
My favorite part of LinkedIn is getting multiple messages from different recruiters for the same exact position (the description is identical down to spaces) at the same company at different salary ranges that sometimes don't even overlap each other.

I'm very tempted to message the guy at the bottom and point this out to him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

Thoguh posted:

But you get absolutely zero utility from it. Here's a scenario for you. You are looking for a job somewhere and you notice a second level connection that you'd like to get in touch with to help you out.

Option 2: You spam invites and so do your connections. You notice a second level contact. You send them an inmail. They probably ignore it because your just some rear end in a top hat who contacted them out of the blue. Even if they don't you could have sent them an email and had the exact same level of response. In this instance going through LinkedIn is totally pointless. You could have just sent an email.

LinkedIn is great because it facilities the use of your network. It's powerful because it allows you to better maintain and leverage your connections. It is an extension of networking. It isn't a replacement. I'm not trying to poo poo up the thread. I think you're giving bad advice. Or at best you are giving advice that is correct for your industry/situation and assuming it is right for everyone. You are trying to use a networking site as a job board.

How do you know who this guy is or how to contact him? Unless you're a 2nd level connection you probably don't even know he exists so emailing him isn't even possible.

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

Infinotize posted:

Seems like my recent experience. Recruiter called me to talk about a couple of openings. Asked me about salary requirements, politely declined to give one. Asked me three more times after I made clear I'm not telling him a number. Then tells me about a couple of openings, and tells me to check out the company websites to learn more about them. First of all, haha, second of all, the jobs were way over my head, third of all, the companies all have online applications and I don't know why I'd use him anyway.

So far I've found internal recruiters to be very competent.

If the recruiter isn't internal, there's really little reason to keep your salary requirements a secret. Also you should always Google and check out a company instead of taking a brIef 5 min conversation as all you need to know to apply. Lastly, recruiters' jobs are to get your resume in front of eyeballs, why use blackhole online applications?

I hate recruiters but I disagree with all your advice.

• Locked thread