Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pug
Nov 26, 2008
Which recruiting firms were these?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pug
Nov 26, 2008

Pollyanna posted:

:gonk:

I just got contacted by a recruiter today. I expressed interest in the position and was gonna talk to him tomorrow about it...should I not have done so?

Research the firm just like you would for any product/service. Hopefully, the recruiter is professional and can help you find a better position. Keep in mind they know what kind of person they are looking for and your resume probably matched a job description they have. Try to find out how good of a fit you are for the position and what you can do to improve your chances of getting the job. Ask the recruiter to look over your resume and give you some interview training specified for the client. If you are a poor fit for the job opening ask the recruiter if he/she has any other positions that better fit your needs.

Pug
Nov 26, 2008

in_cahoots posted:

I've been getting a lot of calls from random recruiters who've found my resume online and want me to interview for jobs in Silicon Valley. Most of the time I'm not really interested after hearing the job description, but they make a point not to tell me what company I would actually be interviewing with. Are these recruiters likely to be the ones on retainer, or just external agencies throwing crap at a wall to see what sticks?

I work in a recruiting agency. I guess we fit in the retainer category ,but to me that means something different. Retainer contracts usually mean you get paid whether you fill the position or not. We have done that in the past ,but the usual contract is a flat % based on first years salary and potentially any bonuses of any candidates we submit who are hired. For temps it is a % of their hourly wage with a flat fee added if they are hired. We make a point not to mention the name of the company to our potential candidates(you in this case)because of this. If we tell the potential candidates up front the name of the company there is a higher chance the candidate could go around us and conspire with the client to avoid the fee. The recruiters who are working with you are probably what other people in this thread are calling "on retainer".

EDIT: This was already answered more bluntly. Just ask what kind of company it is and they should tell you the field (IE: IT, oil and gas, finance, etc.)

Pug fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Apr 15, 2013

Pug
Nov 26, 2008

Totally TWISTED posted:

So when a recruiter's listing makes it obvious who the company is without naming the company should I not put the company name in the cover letter I write? I was trying to show my investigative skills/drive but maybe that would just make a recruiter toss my app?

They may toss you if it makes them nervous. Next time you speak with the recruiter just convey to them whether or not you have already submitted your application to the company on your own and your interest level.

Brian Fellows posted:

At what point do you typically bring up what company you're recruiting for? The field I look in most often is automotive, so there are companies that will be around for awhile and there are companies that have struggled drastically. "Large tier 1 supplier" typically doesn't tell me whether or not it's a company I'd even consider, so I get frustrated when a recruiter wants to talk to me for an hour and a half without ever mentioning who we're talking about.

Also HiroProtagonist, thanks for the PM follow up, that's basically what I was looking for (RE: temp to hire positions, and moving somewhere out of current region). I've got a pretty solid LinkedIn profile now, and I've sent my resume mainly to friends that know recruiters in the area I want to move to. Already have a few recruiters adding me as a contact as a result, which is the main thing I was looking for. Happy days.

I can't say 100% because automotive isn't our specific field and the correct answer varies depending on the recruiter and the relationship s/he has with you. Try asking questions that will help you determine if you are interested in the company. Simply ask the recruiter if the company has struggled recently and tell the recruiter what you are looking for.

Pug fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Apr 15, 2013

Pug
Nov 26, 2008

ianskate posted:

Yes, yes, and correct.

That's why I'm curious. Naturally, I feel like sending a bi-monthly to monthly email reminder would be acceptable, if I haven't heard anything back. Knowing that they're busy juggling multiple clients, people and postings, I can only assume anything else could get annoying.

I would say keep up with them every week or two should be fine. You probably did not meet one of the criteria for a position they had available when they first contacted you. Ask them to help you update your resume. Consider inquiring about any temp positions that may be available while you search for a new permanent position. Also, don't be afraid to contact other staffing agencies.

• Locked thread