Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009

Orange Somen posted:

Has anyone had success getting unsolicited requests for interview straight out of college? I'm a recent graduate in a supposedly in-demand field with 300+ connections, most of them recruiters, and not a peep yet.

Are you making it obvious on your profile that you are looking? You might also try viewing their pages passively, as they get pinged if you do that.

I would honestly take the time to call one or two of them and say you're looking so that they get a chance to get an update from you and to add you to their file.

Edit: With recruiters and LinkedIn in general, a passive strategy doesn't really work if you are trying to get a job. Try to maintain a fairly active profile, but do not over do it, like a career-related article here and there and try to build your digital footprint without over-extending yourself. Remember that the recruiters also probably have 300+ connections and if your profile doesn't make their feed, they won't know whether or not to put you up for consideration.

Good luck!

Immanentized fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Oct 10, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009

Trabant posted:

I'll be revamping my profile soon, hopefully it improves my visibility somewhat. I have half a mind to just delete any mention of my research/papers on old topics, but I like keeping it on there to complement the MBA/PMP/fuzzy stuff I've done since. I hope to move into a product management role, and figure it's useful to highlight technical skills as well.

TouchyMcFeely posted:

I also think part of the problem I have is that my profile (and resume) reflect my technical abilities better than my leadership/management abilities so even if someone were to see my profile would probably not get a good feel for why I would be good beyond front line field work.

Unfortunately I'm not entirely sure how to fix that last part. I know I can do what I do now well. It's finding opportunities to expand and grow in a new role that I'm having trouble finding.

If you guys have a school with even decent alumni connections, most of the time you can contact the career office (or whatever the job-placement help place is called) for resume/LinkedIn advice. A lot of schools offer alumni career guidance for free so long as you maintain even a tenous connection with the school. I also vaguely remember that a number of institutions have LinkedIn Premium freebies for students, can't hurt to ask.

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009
What's with everyone suddenly copy/pasting those lovely Oleg Visnepolksy stories about how awesome he is for hiring Archetype$? Does this serve some business purpose or are these accounts all hacked. With most of them I see no attribution or quotation and it's from people who are no where near hiring roles.

• Locked thread