Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Had my first recruiter approach on LinkedIn today. Give the guy my phone number, get a call.

"So we've been asked to find a teapot coordinator for XYZ company..."
"That job's been posted for months - Don't they want someone with teapot construction experience?"
"Yeah, I've heard you've got many years of experience with that."
"No, I'm a certified teapot operator."
"Oh."
"Yeah."
"Do you know anyone who'd be interested?"
"Uh... No. These guys are pretty darn hard to find."
"Alright well I'll keep you in mind if something comes up!"

Look at the guy's profile, looks like he's specialized in every industry except mine, so that explains that I guess. Turns out he'd got my name from an acquaintance who's known in the community for being very "convincing" about their qualifications. :rolleyes:

(I checked my profile, it does list my certification and a quick glance at it by someone remotely familiar with the industry would tell them that I'm in a completely different professional track.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

People read them?

FrozenVent fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Jul 19, 2014

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

https://www.linkedin.com/today/post/article/20140717040348-36792-the-human-side-of-microsoft-s-layoffs?trk=tod-home-art-list-large_0

The Human Side of Microsoft's Layoffs

As I write this on Wednesday night, I am thinking of Microsoft's 125,000 employees who are trying to go to sleep with the knowledge that tomorrow they or their colleagues may be FIRED.

I say FIRED because "layoff" is one of those words created to soften the ugly underbelly of reality. Microsoft employees are not factory workers being laid off for two weeks so that inventory levels can drop to an acceptable level. They are being FIRED, forever. They are human beings with spouses and kids and parents to support. They have mortgages, car loans, college loans, and many have too little saved for retirement.

Microsoft is a fine company, filled with many wonderful people. Just a few weeks ago, I gave a speech there and spent two days with some of the smartest and most talented people I've ever met. The company has a bright future, and I am in agreement with many of the things their new CEO is saying.

Quality stuff.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

He also forgot to take churn into account.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Nobody gives a poo poo about endorsements.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

If it's tailored to what you actually do, it's legit. If it's for sales when you're not in sales, or promises TONS OF MONEY AND SUCCESS without explaining what you'd do, it's crap.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

necrobobsledder posted:

While there's sometimes urgency, companies that are worth anything usually have more applicants than they can handle.

Depends on your professional field, really. A friend and I just changed jobs at about the same time, and in both of our experience most of the interviews were about convincing us to take the job, not the other way around. Like 15 minutes talking resume, 40 minutes talking benefit package and how great this city is.

Of course there was the HR rep who was wholly unfamiliar with my qualifications, despite representing one of the biggest companies in the industry :confused:

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Tai-Pan posted:

Well, they do it because it costs them nothing. I am VP-level and I still get offers to take 3 month roles.
I guess sometimes it works; People make life decisions (work part-time and stay at home with the kids, decide they want to surf more, etc) so maybe they get a hit now and then.

On the flip side, I had an interviewer / internal recruiter tell me, up front, that I was totally and utterly unqualified to be a chocolate teapot technician, to the point where she made me feel I'd been dishonest in applying to the position.

Then the next day their competitor offered me a position as a lead chocolate teapot technician. :shrug: Sometimes I think HR and staffing people are just winging it. It'd explain the guy who wanted me to interview for a job I'm not legally certified to do, short of a major career change with a ten year outlook.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Their contract with the recruiter probably had a close where they only pay if you last more than X, or pro rata thereof or whatnot. Seems like an obvious feature, otherwise the recruiters would just pump whatever candidates through.

Getting fired or asked to resign sucks big time, and it's normal that you were down in the dumps for a while. It's basically an rear end in a top hat handing you a giant engraved plate saying "you suck, gently caress off", so obviously it's hard. Just remember that it came from an rear end in a top hat.

Most people I know have been let go at one point or another, no one ever takes it well. Don't beat yourself up over it, take a few weeks and move on. If you find it hard to move on, get help. Getting fired is a perfectly good reason to go into depression or some kind of funk.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Is this a field where people typically use external recruiters?

Mine isn't, and the last recruiter I dealt with made a dog's breakfast out of a relatively simple career move. I thank my lucky star that I'd specifically instructed them not to do anything with the employer I'm currently with, as I'm pretty sure they've soured the two companies they introduced me to.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Liam Emsa posted:

I just got sent this from some random guy:

Generic sales job, right?

MLM.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Email her?

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Jossos posted:

Dunno if this is the right place for it, but if anyone here happens to work in localization/translation, I would like to connect. Hit me up on PM or send me a mail at my SA account name at gmail.

You might want to specify languages or industry because that's a broad-rear end field.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

I've had multiple recruiters reach out through LinkedIn, and I found a job through the ads on there once.

The recruiters were all useless though ("Oh, uh, your salary expectations are a bit high for the market...")

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

I don't even bother replying to recruiters unless the job is vaguely interesting. Most of the time they've obviously not even read my profile.

• Locked thread