Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hackedaccount
Sep 28, 2009
Give me a little guidance here if you don't mind.

I joined the group, I was accepted, and connected to one person in the group who's a 2nd degree contact. When I view any other profile in the group I get the "buy the recruiter upgrade" thing and I assume it's because everyone is a 3rd degree connection or higher.

How do I go about connecting to the other goons? Do I need to spring for a month of the premium recruiter service, build more connections within the group, and then hopefuly a bunch of other members will then be 2nd degree connections when the month is up?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hackedaccount
Sep 28, 2009
Yeah I'm doing that and I answered my own question.

If you're in the same group with someone you can go to the members list, mouse-over their name, and a "Invite to Connect" link will appear far to the right of their name. It's kinda weird because I can invite using this method but if I view their full profile first there is no option to connect, only to buy the premium service.

Ah well, invites incoming, let's build our networks!

hackedaccount
Sep 28, 2009
Yeah it's weird. Put in the request, then go to the Groups dropdown and select Your Groups.

On that screen you'll see your groups, along with Stairmasters. Near the Stairmasters entry there is an option that's like "send a message to the admin of this group" or something. Click that and send the message that way.

EDIT: Might want to put this along with how to connect to people (what I asked about earlier) in the OP. LinkedIn doesn't have the best UI.

EDIT 2: Ah blah, didn't see the thing about you not being able to message the admins. Can't help ya with that one, sorry.

hackedaccount
Sep 28, 2009
I think you should just nix it. This sub-forum is viewable by people who aren't logged in so there's no good way to limit access.

Have one rule: The "no assholes" rule.

hackedaccount
Sep 28, 2009

Doghouse posted:

How do I let it be known that I am looking for a job despite the fact that I am currently employed? The project I am working on is projected to end in a few months.

You can also change your Professional Headline field to "Contract ends in June" or "Seeking new Opportunities" or whatever.

hackedaccount
Sep 28, 2009

KetTarma posted:

Considering that some days in class I'll spend an entire lecture inviting random people to connect, I don't think you can get banned for that. I've also never gotten locked out from inviting people.

Yeah I agree. If you try to invite someone to connect and get a prompt asking for their e-mail address it's either because A) they changed their profile so you must provide an e-mail address to connect or B) you already sent them an invitation and they haven't responded. I sent out ~600 invites over 3 or 4 days and I started getting a captcha but that's all I've noticed.

Besides the captcha and sometimes forgetting who I had already invited I haven't seen any problems.

hackedaccount
Sep 28, 2009

Rad R. posted:

There's a discussion in the Stairmasters group for non-computer types, but a lot of you posting there are still involved in science, engineering, or legal professions. Are there any creative types here? Writers, designers, people used to public performance? If so, we could start a new discussion.

Fire one up - I know there are a few.

hackedaccount
Sep 28, 2009
Maybe there's a nice way to say "I don't want to work for companies X, Y, or Z but I'm open to hearing about others."

hackedaccount
Sep 28, 2009
What's the exact situation? Is it a person who's in the same group as you? Have you already sent them a connection request? What level connection are they?

hackedaccount
Sep 28, 2009

Dalrain posted:

There's a job application I'm looking at where they ask if they can contact my current supervisor, and have Yes/No/Yes, After Offer. I'm inclined to say "Yes, after offer," but then I can't figure out why they would even do that. Any ideas? I guess if they heard bad things, they could rescind their offer since it's all at-will and leave you screwed, but is there another reason they would want that?

Some companies don't allow their management to be a reference or even verify employment. At my old job I walked into my bosses' cube and he was replying to some recruiter asking for a reference for some dude and he was telling them he couldn't. In general Big Corps usually don't allow their managers to be references, smaller and medium corps allow it, but if you're friends with a manager they don't mind.

If the company just wants employment verification ("He worked here from Jan 2012 to Jan 2013, yes") that's something they should go through HR for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hackedaccount
Sep 28, 2009

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

LinkedIn sometimes invents random endorsements that it suggests for people to give you based on keywords already present in your endorsements. Someone endorsed me for "Books." :wtc: It's basically a way to keep you doing *something* on LinkedIn.

What? You haven't endorsed your friends for Slacking or Professional Goat Herding or Mountain Dew Guzzling yet? For shame!

Don't overthink endorsements. Potential recruiters can easily see who they came from and if they ask just tell them the truth, it's no biggie.

• Locked thread