Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PrivateEyeball
Nov 7, 2009

L'etoile du Nord
This thread has inspired me to amp up my Linkedin usage. Well, this thread and the email I got from a recruiter yesterday.

I'm wondering what I should emphasize in my profile if I'm still relatively green and I'm mostly focused on getting a job I fit with, regardless of industry? My professional experience is limited (customer support, retail, and freelance writing). I had a ton of leadership experience in college (graduated last May), so I assume I should emphasize that?

My ideal situation is to get into an early-stage startup, or into a later-stage one if it's the right fit (the latter being more likely to happen on Linkedin). Right now, I feel like I'm more of a generalist than anything else, which is probably not the strongest image to give off.

Also, do you ever get recruiters who contact you about a position you seem very under-qualified for? The one that contacted me wants to speak about a job I feel I would enjoy and do well in. The weird part is that the job description calls for 8 years experience. I certainly don't have that much. I know experience is flexible, but this feels like a bit of a stretch? I've a phone call tomorrow, but I'm not sure what to expect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PrivateEyeball
Nov 7, 2009

L'etoile du Nord
My phone call with the recruiter didn't happen. Not sure why, but she just didn't call. So after a half hour, I got bored and went shopping. Fortunately, I've been making connections with a couple dozen Linkedin recruiters. I suppose the fun part is digging for the ones I want to contact, while waiting for others to contact me?

PrivateEyeball
Nov 7, 2009

L'etoile du Nord

Mr. Big posted:

Is "All-Star" the same as 100% profile completion?

I'm thinking it is. I just hit 50 connections, and reached All-Star status. When I hover over the bubble, it doesn't show me the next level like it used to.

PrivateEyeball
Nov 7, 2009

L'etoile du Nord
I just got a message from a recruiter I connected with. It's a generic message asking if she can help me with anything, but it's an open door so I'll take it. Especially because there is a position on their website that I am both interested in and qualified for. And I'd be thrilled to land an interview. From what I've been learning, just landing the interview isn't enough to actually be interviewed.

Also, thanks to the motivation stemming from this topic, my appearances in search results have quadrupled over the past week! I can only imagine it's going to skyrocket even more in the coming weeks.

PrivateEyeball
Nov 7, 2009

L'etoile du Nord

RisqueBarber posted:

I want to invite you to look at my resume and hopefully discuss any open opportunities you may have. If you're interested either message me back, email me at myemail, or call me at my-phone-number.

I would suggest putting in some sort of reason for them to take the time. Check the company to see if they're looking for a position you want. If so, mention that position and list a couple qualifications you have. If that position isn't listed, try creating that position. It hasn't happened to me personally, but I know people who have been hired for openings that didn't exist until they pitched it. Any which way, list qualifications and anything else that will give them a reason to look at you over anyone else that's contacting them.

If you happen to be talking to a manager, instead of a recruiter, than options get a bit better. In that situation, I would create a list of ideas that I'd like to implement or ideas that could help grow the company in a certain area.

You're essentially sending a cold message to this person. If someone messaged me and said "Hey, look at my resume!" I'd probably just delete it and move on (unless I'm not busy). If someone said "I'm interested in applying for the ______ position at your company. I've experience with _______, _______, and _______. Feel free to check out my resume and contact me." I'll be a bit more intrigued.

EDIT: But don't do that in the connection invite message. Wait for them to make the connection. Then reach out. Nobody reads the invite messages.

PrivateEyeball
Nov 7, 2009

L'etoile du Nord
My attempts at using Linkedin are starting to wear me out. I get some recruiters telling me that they're not the recruiter I should be contacting for a specific job (which would be better if more specified what areas they cover). A few are nice enough to (allegedly) forward my info to the appropriate person. The bigger issue is that I get no response to a lot of my inquiries. Anyone have any advice to better get a response or do I need to do what I've done with editors (when I've done freelance writing) and just keep pestering them once a week until they respond?

PrivateEyeball
Nov 7, 2009

L'etoile du Nord
A recruiter I messaged on Linkedin just responded with a blank message. :bang:

Sadly, nobody works on weekends (except me), so I guess it's time to relax...and go to work.

PrivateEyeball
Nov 7, 2009

L'etoile du Nord
Is there any way to make the "JOBS YOU MAY BE INTERESTED IN" section show jobs that I'm interested in?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PrivateEyeball
Nov 7, 2009

L'etoile du Nord
I'm trying to get back into the whole LinkedIn deal. I've made an effort before but I've ended up making little progress. I'm mostly focusing on finding jobs in two areas:

1) Startups. Any sort of startup. I'm in San Francisco, so it's a hotbed. But there aren't a ton of startups recruiting on LinkedIn to my knowledge.

2) something in the games/tech industry.

Problem is, unless it's programming or design (which I don't know) or customer support (which I hate), I'm not picky. I'm REEEEEALLY not picky. Possibly to a fault. Could it be a problem that I'm open to exploration of drat near everything? Sales, PR, operations, biz dev, etc. My focus is to get out of retail and do something different.

• Locked thread