Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dead Pressed
Nov 11, 2009
My wife made a funny comment today addressing the fact that I am addicted to LinkedIn, more or less. I've got some job stability issues (operating conditions, not job performance), so I've been browsing jobs, making connections with peers (coworkers and kids I went to school with) and what not. I'm really impressed with the functionality of the site. Not only have I applied for a few posted jobs on the site, but I have been reached out to by a recruiter or two---went through the process, and was told I was the number one candidate before the posting was closed due to budgetary concerns (ugh). I'm really excited by the opportunities presented here.

One question I do have---I applied for ONE job through LinkedIn rather than through the company's website. My wife, who works (loosely defined) as a 3rd party employment expert believes that was a bad move. I didn't think much of it, myself, as I've got a peer (IRL) who works for the company that I've already reached out to for thoughts on the job. Any thoughts here?

Dead Pressed fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Feb 25, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dead Pressed
Nov 11, 2009

HiroProtagonist posted:

Not sure what you mean here. The only job applications available through Linkedin go directly to a corporate site for those types of things. Do you mean as opposed to going through a recruiter?

No. It was interesting, really. The posting went through Linkedin, then through simplyhired (never heard of it), which interfaced with their website. Much of my information was automatically pulled from the LinkedIn account, I just had to upload the resume and cover letter. Like I said, I wasn't really worried, but my wife is afraid they could tell I went through LinkedIn as opposed to their direct website. I figured I'd go through LinkedIn just to get their link a hit to show the efficacy of the site. :dunno: Any way you slice it, I set up and account on their site, so I figured 6 one way, 1/2 dozen the other...

Just wanted to make sure I wasn't off my rocker...

Dead Pressed
Nov 11, 2009
"I am protected"

• Locked thread