Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Just got onto LinkedIn a few days, so far so good but are direct messages a Premium-only thing? Through another website, I found a pretty nice job in a geographic area where I want to work and applied for it there (technically through that company's website). Today I see the same listing go up on LinkedIn and the recruiter listed her LinkedIn profile alongside it. I want to message her, not just for "Here's my resume, oh God please hire me" but also for "hey your job listing was kind of vague, could you describe the position in more detail?", but the only way I can see to do that is a Connection. Is there some PM feature I'm not seeing?

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Feb 27, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Spending some downtime at work playing around with LinkedIn, and I'm trying to get 100% on my profile. When I click "Improve My Profile" now the only things that pop up are to list my college coursework (gotta check my old transcirpts when I get home tonight) and to share my profile on Twitter/Facebook (already did), yet I'm still sitting at "Advanced". Will listing those courses put me at 100% or is there some other improvement that could be done? My video game instincts are kicking in and I must 100% everything :ohdear:

I also sent a request to join Stairmasters, should I send a message on LinkedIn to say "hey I'm a goon" or...?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

C-Euro posted:

Just got onto LinkedIn a few days, so far so good but are direct messages a Premium-only thing? Through another website, I found a pretty nice job in a geographic area where I want to work and applied for it there (technically through that company's website). Today I see the same listing go up on LinkedIn and the recruiter listed her LinkedIn profile alongside it. I want to message her, not just for "Here's my resume, oh God please hire me" but also for "hey your job listing was kind of vague, could you describe the position in more detail?", but the only way I can see to do that is a Connection. Is there some PM feature I'm not seeing?

So I tried doing this but LinkedIn limits how many characters you can put in a Connection-making message. Should I just suck it up, make a Connection, and then directly message her about describing what she listed in more detail?

E: It won't let me make a connection if I select "I don't know [NAME]" :argh: Will it be weird if I select Colleague or something else?

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Feb 28, 2013

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
A recruiter looked at my profile! :woop: I saw that she posted a job in one of my groups and included her e-mail, so I messaged her to get more specific on where it is, and then she looked at my profile and I asked for a Connection and she accepted! It's a start.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
I'm trying to send a connection request to someone who posted a job that I want to know more about, but LinkenIn won't let me do so if I select the "I don't know [NAME]" option. Doesn't this clash with the OP's advice to connect to others when in doubt? Would it be improper to select another option like "Friend"?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
I've had a couple of recruiters that I didn't know accept connections from me, but to be fair we had groups in common between the two of us. Maybe that's the trick.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

evensevenone posted:

If you look, nearly all recruiters do LION.

I don't know this acronym, help me out?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

RisqueBarber posted:

I'm having a hard time finding a recruiter. I've messaged 7-8 and no one has responded.

If you're trying to connect with them, join groups! Groups will give you a convenient excuse to request connections with recruiters who post in them, since you'll have that in common. I joined one for my field, connected with two or three people in there who regularly posted openings, and so far I've had two other recruiters actually come to me with requests. Now to actually message them about jobs and watch for relevant postings :ohdear:

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

RisqueBarber posted:

I've joined 12 groups but have yet to make a post. I'm currently employed and don't want me employer to find out I'm looking for a new job.

I haven't actually done any posting either.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
I'm not sure if this fits the thread but I don't know where else to ask it. I'm leaving my chemistry graduate program next month with a Master's so I'm also looking around for entry-level jobs, or one step above that. I've bled LinkedIn and a couple of chemistry-specific job sites dry over the past few months with only one on-site interview to show for it. I'm looking for jobs in a certain region so that I can move in with my GF, who has a year+ to go in a PhD program, so I've started looking at Craigslist in her area for chemistry jobs. Part-time, full-time, anything to help build my experience level and resume. Is there anything I should bear in mind or watch out for when job-hunting on Craigslist? Does anyone in this thread have success or horror stories related to Craigslist job-hunting?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
I had an interview with a company today that I thought went pretty well, or at least the people who interviewed me seemed friendly enough. I searched LinkenIn and found a couple of them, would it be improper to send a connect request to any of them while they're still in the middle of making a hiring decision?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Not sure if this should go here but since LinkedIn led me to the problem I'll post it here- I was contacted by a woman from Recruiting Service A and had a very positive interview with them (I was actually interviewed by her partner- more on that later) last week, and they have put my profile up on their database for someone to hopefully hire me. Today I saw a job posting in a group that listed the contact info of someone working for Recruiting Service B, and when I called her about the job posting she told me about a few others that they have, and asked that I send my resume to her.

If I do this and Service B helps me find a job (which isn't a guarantee), am I stabbing my rep from service A in the back? I guess I don't owe them anything yet but it was a really successful interview (my rep followed up with me the next day, and I guess her partner that interviewed me said "[He] nailed the interview, you have to find him a job") and I would like to keep her as a contact and rep since I'm staying in this area for the foreseeable future. At the same time, I guess she has no way of finding out that I got a job through some other service, and she even encouraged to keep up my own job search on top of her help. I must be over-thinking this, right?

• Locked thread