Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

zmcnulty posted:

If anyone can think of a simplistic, non-time-consuming way I can verify applicants to the group are actually goons, I'm all ears. Monthly password or something? There's a text box where you can add a comment when you apply for the group, right?

Just have them make a reference to :tenbux: in the comment when they apply and say something about it in this thread's OP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

LinkedIn is a professional website on which I attempt to con convince companies to give me a 6 figure salary and 4 weeks of vacation. I am not putting "GOONY GOON STAIR GOONS!" anywhere on it.

I dunno, I am relatively new to Linkedin, but are that many people just going to randomly join this group? It doesn't have one of those generic titles like "MCSEs" or "Electrical Engineers" or what have you.

LLJKs?

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

RisqueBarber posted:

It's not like facebook where you look at your friend requests. In LinkedIn no one gives a poo poo. I went from 20 connections to 550 in three weeks and I only had one guy message me, "Do I know you?"

It was probably me. We wouldn't be in a networking group of goons if we didn't want to be LinkedIn connections with goons though.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

redjenova posted:

So I'm on my first real job hunt, and I've been doing a lot of face-to-face network visiting places that I'd like to work, traveling to the areas I'm most interested in, touring firms etc.

This is touched on in the OP, but I guess I'm posting for additional reinforcement/opinions... In my college program our professors were pretty adamant about using social tools like linkedin to help us professionally, but opinions on linkedin etiquette seem to be varied across the board and it can be a little confusing. More specifically we were pretty emphatically told that linkedin connections are only to be used essentially if you're a colleague of the person you're connecting with, that you should know them very well, etc.

Should I be sending out connection requests to the people I'm meeting with? Like if someone gives me a tour of their firm, chats with me a little bit about applying or what the job I'm pursuing is like, and then I leave, should I be connecting with that person on linkedin? According to my past professors, this would definitely not be something you should do, but I'm starting to feel the opposite.

In informational interviews I have tossed in a question about sending them a LinkedIn connection and have overwhelmingly received yes responses, but I'm sure your contacts would appreciate the formality.

• Locked thread