Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

gently caress yeah, all star profile and not even publicly available

Gonna tweak a few more things and then put myself out there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

The "one face for the whole world" is also a large part of why linkedin is so successful

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Dump the recruiter. He knows nothing.

You already have an in with the company. Now that you have the interview it's all down to you

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Totally TWISTED posted:

I have no recommendations or reviews written and I am at the all-star level or whatever the top level is called. They may boost your search but the LI visible level can be maxed out regardless.

Me too - or I was, and now I changed job and added a new position but didn't write a load if bumf about it yet, it dropped me back to expert

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Load it up, get people who woked with you to say "I used to work with him and he used that skill and was really good at it"

I have a small business and I like endorsements with comments as an indicator that someone isn't a dick to work with if their (ex-)coworkers went out of their way to say something positive that isn't blindly reciprocal. That's really important in a small company.

It isn't so much about what you chose to call the skill or even so much what it is, that should be evident from elsewhere on your profile or job history or we'll get to it in your cover letter about why you think you fit the job.

Of course, I'm sure that for big companies there will be "Apply Through LinkedIn" jobs that will scan those skills to give a % match to a job description, or recruiters will pull your profile and run it through their own software and the skill list will be a particular proportion of the final match score.

But this whole post is entirely speculative and subjective

simplefish fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Nov 4, 2016

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

I know nothing about America's job market sorry.

Recently I started throwing applications in to any relevant job that allowed me to apply via linkedin with minimal hassle. I'm not really looking for a new job but I want to know what else is out there, if I could qualify for something more senior if I jumped ship, whether I'm getting screwed on pay etc.

Let me tell you, it's a helluva lot less stressful looking and applying for jobs when you don't particularly want or need an acceptance at the end of it, and knowing you won't have to fight in pay negotiations. If it isn't an offer too good to turn down, I'm turning it down anyway. Not being desperate to leave and without the pressure of being unemployed makes the whole process quite a lot of fun, actually

simplefish fucked around with this message at 06:34 on May 7, 2017

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Aww, Rupert, you'll always have the goon Christmas albums. They never fail to be a seasonal highlight for me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

If in a new country and looking to network, find out what the local Chamber of Commerce events are and go along

• Locked thread