Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
This is a great thread. I skyrocketed from ~80 to ~232 connections. I have an "all-star" profile, and also I'm just generally way happier with the product.

I have a question, how do people find recruiters? Do they just search for "talent acquisition [profession x]" or "talent [profession y]"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
I'm still not exactly sure how to get recruiters to work for me. I have an a comprehensive linkin profile and nearly 500 connections. However most of them aren't recruiters. I'm in Urban Planning/Economic Development/Energy Planning. So far I've been literally typing "[profession] recruiter"

Is there a better way?

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

meanieface posted:

Are you in relevant professional groups?

I am in around 35 groups related to my professional field. Should I shoot for more?

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
A good thread. I suppose no, recruiters wouldn't be super stoked about my field.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
I just graduated with a masters degree. The job I want is on the other side of the country. I am linkedin connected with ~6 of the employees of this firm. The firm is about 150 people and has an overt ad posted for a position I would like. I'm like 90% qualified based on what they explicitly are asking for, and I'm sure I could learn the rest on the go. How do I communicate with my linkedin contacts at this firm to increase my chance of employment at this firm?

Do I contact them?

How do I start my message?

Etc?

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
I mean, is it socially acceptable to just be straight forward like:

"Hello X,

I have recently graduated with a masters in [industry]. I am really excited to use what I learned to help achieve [x,y,z]. I saw that [your firm] is hiring for this position and I think I would be a great fit. The website says to contact [email] with my resume and portfolio, which I have done. Do you know anybody else I should talk to about applying for this position?"

I am really excited about this position and really want to work for this company.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

HiroProtagonist posted:

Sounds fine to me. If you can update your application after submittal, you might want to add the responders to such a message as a referral.

Do however make sure that you're sending a message to someone at least indirectly involved in hiring. Otherwise they'll probably scratch their head a bit and wonder why you sent it.

The people I am connected to currently on linkedin don't seem to be directly involved with the hiring process. The job opening advert doesn't list a person to contact, just a generic [firm name]hiring@[firm].org

JFairfax posted:

Take another look at the Job Advert, often the poster of the advert will be listed on the right hand side of the screen and you might be able to message them directly.

What I would say is that applying to adverts firms post on LinkedIn themselves is a really good approach. For most positions the LinkedIn ads get a lot less response than those posted on monster / careerbuilder etc so I would say apply to the advert directly, perhaps with a cover letter as well.

The job opening was listed on the firms actual website, not on linkedin.

Thoughts?

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

HiroProtagonist posted:

I would suggest doing a little bit of digging and seeing if you can locate the/a recruiter/hiring manager for the company on Linkedin, and sending them a message. Although doing this somewhat blindly carries something of a risk. Unless someone has explicitly given out or listed themselves as a contact for a particular position being hired for (and therefore tacitly given permission to contact them in reference to it), reaching out in this way could be construed as a faux-pas.

However, if you go a couple weeks and do not get any response to your application submission, it might be worth it to take that risk just to spark some attention. I will leave the choice of when up to you, though. There are no hard and fast rules here.

I went ahead and contacted a few of the people on LinkedIn. Of the 4 people, only one responded (although in like 40 minutes!). She passed the note on to the hiring person. The hiring person sent me an e-mail the next day saying they won't hire me. R.I.P.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
Yeah I was really impressed with how thoughtful, direct, and timely they were. A drat fine company. They'll keep my resume on the books for 6 months but if they didn't like me for this entry level position I don't see them hiring me for a different position.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
I get a free linkedin trial

let's see where this pony ride takes us boys

JIZZ DENOUEMENT fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Jan 15, 2015

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
I do not get any recruiters from my industry, but some from other industries. How do I fix this?

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
I applied to position X like 8 months ago. It was never filled, and was recently re-posted. I found somebody on LinkedIn who held that position about a year ago and moved up in the firm. I would like position X.

1. Is it appropriate to reach out to this person?

2. How should I go about it/ what should I say?

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
Friend A told me a person is leaving a good firm. I want that person's position at the good firm. Friend B works at the good firm.

How do we get myself on the inside track here?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
From personal experience it seems like programmer folk and high mba type folk get harassed by useful recruiters, and little to nothing else for the rest of us.

• Locked thread