Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rad R.
Oct 10, 2012

zmcnulty posted:

I'm the admin of the (only?) SA-related group on Linkedin, Stairmasters. Would be great to throw it in the already-awesome OP if you can! 87 members at the moment.

I've sent you a request to join the group - sent a message too, but I don't have permission to do that, well, yet.

Rad R. fucked around with this message at 12:54 on Feb 27, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rad R.
Oct 10, 2012
I'm in the Stairmasters group, as of today. How do I know who's a fellow Goon? And as far as invites go, I'm all for it, but we do have to know who's who on LinkedIn.

Rad R.
Oct 10, 2012
Okay, so I'm in the Stairmasters group, but I assume not all members are Goons?
My profile is at "All-Star" strength, for what it's worth.

Rad R.
Oct 10, 2012
You can easily tell who I am in the Stairmasters group, my company name is Rad Recorder. Yeah, that's where my username comes from. One of the reasons I joined SA, after years of following Photoshop Friday, Your Band Sucks and lurking around Punchsport Pagoda, was to connect with like-minded people. That's why I love SA, it filters out a lot of stuff I try to avoid online. And it's a better way to connect than Facebook, duh.

But the problem I often face on LinkedIn, and I hope to resolve that thanks to places like SA, is that I always get invites from people I know, who aren't in the same line of business as I am, or are working in a business I want to get away from. I'm in Croatia and want to travel, expand my horizons, find decent business opportunities, but LinkedIn keeps pushing me back into that same circle, based on the 'people you might know' formula.

Rad R.
Oct 10, 2012
Thanks, you've been quite helpful and this is one mighty useful thread. I've discovered some actual benefits of using LinkedIn. Thus far, I've been joining groups that usually don't go anywhere, or feature newly established geek-themed blog owners that want pro bono writers, or seek illustrators who 'need exposure'.

Rad R.
Oct 10, 2012
I list my own brand as my employer. Even though I did all kinds of creative work, I'm predominantly an illustrator/designer, so that's what I'm emphasizing.

Rad R.
Oct 10, 2012
Send connection requests, I'll gladly accept them, even if we aren't in the same field of business. I just want to expand my network. Like I said before, most of my connections are localized, meaning their from or around Croatia, and aren't even crucial for my job hunting as an illustrator/designer/writer. People from this area don't really know how to use LinkedIn, there is no mention of recruiters or anything like that, it's mostly just 'here, I've made one of those LinkedIn profiles, like professionals do'. So, this topic is very useful.

Rad R.
Oct 10, 2012
Thanks to this thread, I've updated/modified my profile, found out what I need to focus on, so this has been really helpful, thanks OP and everyone else who contributed.

And yeah, if you send me invitations to connect, I'll accept.

Rad R.
Oct 10, 2012
I could use more of your assistance regarding recruiters. Now, my idea is to post links to my web shop in groups I am a member of, as these are all groups for creative professionals, so I need to present what sort of illustrations I do, and the concept of my brand. Will this make me more visible to recruiters, and how do I spot an actual recruiter? As I've mentioned before, I'm in Croatia but my basic goal is to travel and work, while my local network doesn't use LinkedIn for nothing more than just presenting a person's CV and current projects - recruiters are never even mentioned, there is no such interaction.

Rad R.
Oct 10, 2012
I've been coming up in searches more often, and people have been checking out my profile more than usual. This is a steady increase, and it's thanks to advice gained here, so once again, thanks.

There's a discussion in the Stairmasters group for non-computer types, but a lot of you posting there are still involved in science, engineering, or legal professions. Are there any creative types here? Writers, designers, people used to public performance? If so, we could start a new discussion.

Rad R.
Oct 10, 2012
Cool. So, if you're a creative professional, join our (new) discussion.

Rad R.
Oct 10, 2012

hammeritme posted:

How do you guys go about getting skill endorsements? I hate asking people for them and they seem like a pointless circle jerk but I feel inadequate with my current level of "endorsements"

I keep getting endorsed all the time. It's useful when you get endorsed by someone who's in your line of work, or similar. But I never asked to be endorsed for anything, and get endorsed by acquaintances all the time, so this is one of those situations where I let my work do the talking - in this case, it's regarding content writing, design or music. So I'd recommend you endorse people for skills you know they actually do have, and you'll get endorsed as well.

Rad R.
Oct 10, 2012

HiroProtagonist posted:

I just wanted to jump in and say that I really like and am proud of how active the Discussions area of the group on LinkedIn is. It seems like there are a lot of really helpful, intelligent and realistic comments being made. Good job, goons. :hfive:

This thread has really given me that extra push needed to make my LinkeIn account matter. I'm happy how the discussions are going in the Stairmasters group, it's been quite motivational. I'm checking in every day, making updates on my profile, and my profile keeps getting more visible and easier to find. I've been applying for more freelancing jobs because now I can find them more easily, I've even made a job interview for a teaching position at the same place where I attended my design courses - they had a job ad, it's near where I live, and I went there to introduce myself. Turns out it was a great idea because this place still keeps an article about me in their brochure and it made me seem like a go-getter. So thank you OP and fellow goons.

About accepting or sending connection requests from/to people you don't personally know: LinkedIn is in its basis a social network, so it's natural that you make connections with people you don't know IRL. You don't have to follow those rules if it makes you uncomfortable or if you want to make a network consisting only of people you directly know. But LinkedIn works best if you want to spread your network.

Rad R.
Oct 10, 2012
Should I mention in my summary section that I want to move abroad? My goal is to live in California, and maybe I should point this out in my bio/introduction.

Rad R.
Oct 10, 2012
I could use some advice about introduction letters, how to introduce myself to companies I want to work for. Keep in mind, I am an illustrator/content writer, and that implies a less serious tone that most professions. I've made some great connections via LinkedIn (some are now Facebook connections as well) and I'd like to offer my services in a friendly and professional way.

Rad R.
Oct 10, 2012

HiroProtagonist posted:

Don't sweat this, in my opinion. Ignore the listed "requirements" for experience if you think you'd be a good fit otherwise or for other reasons. Or, even better, simply apply to every single job you think you might like. Worst that can happen is that you get rejected, which is exactly what would happen if you declined to apply in the first place.

Just be warm and friendly, without crossing the line into "overly personal" or fawning. Infuse your own excitement about the possibilities of working with a company or for an individual and try to come across as genuine as possible.

It's difficult to give suggestions more specifically than that, because if you're trying to take a more informal approach the actual phrasing can vary wildly. Try to get a sense of how the person you're addressing prefers to interact by closely reading through their Linkedin profile and absorbing what you can of their personal writing style and communication quirks.

Ok, thank you. It's not all via LinkedIn, most of these introductions have to be conducted via social networks or email, because we're talking about magazines or apparel brands. Thus, my biggest task is not to spam, and not to come off to needy. I do need a job, more work, but I can't seem desperate for work. 'Allow me to introduce myself, I'm great and you should know it, lets work together for our mutual benefit'.

Rad R.
Oct 10, 2012

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

I've been looking on the job market over the years and I've never not seen "2-5 years experience" as one of the blurbs for any serious job. Remember that the "requirements" are the employer's ideals and not a real requirement in many cases, and some postings have all sorts of poo poo that's really overblown in terms of actual importance to the position.

If I may add, don't let an employers ideal requirements discourage you. A job advert lists what the ideal employee must be like, and in most cases, this ideal employee does not exist in real life. Just go for it, be assertive. You won't gain any negative points for applying.

Rad R.
Oct 10, 2012
As far as jobs posted in groups I am a member of, it's mostly spam. I'm talking about design and content writing, but design in particular is filled with just atrocious job listings, spec work and incredibly low fees. There's also spam in the form of book advertising: 'find out how to make the perfect CV with this e-book'. The weirdest part is that the mods of these groups allow crap like that. Regardless, thanks to this thread and the Stairmasters group, I've learned a lot and have found some interesting groups.

Rad R.
Oct 10, 2012
True. In the field of 'creative professionals' it seems as if some groups are predominately dedicated to spam, with discussions being mostly terrible job listings, posted and commented by possibly fake profiles.

We have a demand for peer reviews in the Stairmasters group. Who's up for it? I'd like a peer review, and I'll do a review if I'm eligible.

Rad R.
Oct 10, 2012
I'd like a peer review, please.
I am a designer / content writer, so those of you in the creative industry, feel free to ask me for a peer review, or do a review of my profile. Thanks!

Rad R.
Oct 10, 2012
Since you are the OP of this thread and have helped me use LinkedIn in a much better way, then yes, please do a review. Thanks.

Rad R.
Oct 10, 2012
How do you actually recognize a recruiter by profile? I need recruiters in the creative sector, such as design, illustration, copy writing, media. I've joined many specialized groups, but thus far, Stairmasters has been the most useful group I am a member of. Most groups are full of spam posts, or posts by people who shouldn't call themselves professionals.

Rad R.
Oct 10, 2012

CarForumPoster posted:

I did this late last night and have spoken to one this morning on the phone with about 4 reply emails.

Thank you. The mistake I was making was being to picky about which groups to join, and then I actively followed the groups I did join. I'm taking your advice now.

Rad R.
Oct 10, 2012
I am also having the same problem. If I click to edit my profile, the page just loads and doesn't stop loading. Any info on this issue?

Rad R.
Oct 10, 2012
Turns out it was just a glitch. They said on Twitter they're working on fixing it, and since then, my profile is back to normal. Funny thing though, their Help Center was unavailable, but luckily Google sent me to Twitter.

Rad R.
Oct 10, 2012
Haven't posted in this thread in a while, just stopping by to say thanks for all the great advice, and I was happy to connect with a lot of you on LinkedIn. The Stairmasters group is pretty much the only useful group I am a member of, as all my other groups - for designers and copy writers - are full of spam or links to sub par work.

One thing I've learned on LinkedIn, and this is a piece of advice I can give, is that you should regularly post updates, even if it is just a status update. Blog posts, new work, links you find interesting or causes you support - post them as status updates. It makes you pop up in other people's search more, you become more visible on LinkedIn, and that by itself is useful.

Rad R.
Oct 10, 2012
I've been invited to publish on LinkedIn. Does anyone have any experience with this? I'm still wondering what to write about, I'm thinking something motivational but realistic, similar to 'Talent is Overrated' and 'Getting Things Done'.

Rad R.
Oct 10, 2012

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

Please publish practical advice on real topics and not "What we can learn from the World Cup about leadership"

Of course. I am completely against intrusively positive advice articles with titles such as '5 Habits of Successful People' or '9 Things You Are Doing Wrong as a Freelancer'. Either practical, real-world advice, or something from the arts and entertainment spectrum. After all, I am an illustrator and designer as much as I am into copy and content writing.

People publish anything these days. Everyone that can type, can and does so publicly.

Rad R.
Oct 10, 2012
Does anyone know any international alternatives to sites such as Monster? I've tried Elance and Guru, but most freelance sites are terrible. I need to reach out to my future employers, and I won't do that by relying of sites like Guru.

Rad R.
Oct 10, 2012

Golden Bee posted:

R/ForHire is Ok. What's your skillset? How much time do you have a week to freelance? There's no one stop shop; if their was, it would soon be horrible (see Craigslist).

Thanks. How much time? I can work 9 to 5 from home, I did that for a while back when I was translating daily news. My skillset: graphic designer, illustrator, content writer, copy writer. And everything related.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rad R.
Oct 10, 2012
Haven't stopped by this thread in a long time, but now that I've moved on from freelancing to a full time job, I could use some advice.

I'm one of those 'creative professionals', meaning that I'm an illustrator/graphic designer, and also a content and copy writer. Two months ago I started working at an online marketing agency as a content producer and editor. Suddenly I know a whole lot more about SEO and web metrics. I need to update my LinkedIn profile with a bunch of new skills. What's the best way to do this? Comments are appreciated, thanks.

• Locked thread