Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you
So I followed the op's advice here, but I've run into a snag.

Perhaps Linkedin has changed, but I can't just make connection requests to random people anymore. It tells me that if I don't at least have the e-mail address of the person or recruiter that I'm trying to get in touch with then I won't be able to actually send them a connect request.

Since most of the op's advice kind of hinges on that assumption... I don't really see how to proceed, sadly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you

hackedaccount posted:

What's the exact situation? Is it a person who's in the same group as you? Have you already sent them a connection request? What level connection are they?

Specifically, when I join large groups and see the few job postings on them (which has been my experience thus far), I try to send connect requests to the recruiters posting them as recommended in the op. I'm told that I have to say how I know these recruiters, thouh, and since I am not their friend or have not otherwise worked with them in the past the linkedin site won't allow me to add them unless I can say what their email address is. This is the specific problem.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Thank you for the tip on sending connect requests to people.

quote:

After a period of time, you'll likely form some decent working relationships with recruiters, whether or not you receive any offers of employment in the process.

About this part of the op: about how long did this "period of time" take for you? During that time, did you just go back and forth to try and talk to recruiters a bit about things in general before asking them for a recommendation? How did you go about it? Did you perhaps work it into a conversation you were already having, for example?

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Did a Udemy course last year that talked a lot about LinkedIn. They recommended making your LinkedIn be specifically for that particular job title that you want to get, and then putting only experience that is relevant to that job title in your profile. What do you guys think? Should I include tangentially relevant or even non-relevant experience on there? Or should I keep it all "on brand", so to speak, like the guy recommended?

• Locked thread