Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ProFootballGuy
Nov 6, 2012

by angerbot

Temascos posted:

Thanks for the help guys, got a lot more contacts who I recognised by going a bit off the beaten track. Now I just gotta wait for their responses and hopefully they'll accept me.

I accept everyone who sends a request even if I have no idea who they are. Most people are the same way, no downside to having more connections.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ProFootballGuy
Nov 6, 2012

by angerbot

Thoguh posted:

Is this really the right way to do it though? I intentionally keep my LinkedIn contacts to people that I have actually worked with or had some other kind of contact with in a professional or volunteer setting. Or at least have done some type of networking with. I ignore requests from people I had a class with in high school or anyone who wouldn't be able to provide at least a passing reference for me or help me find a job in their organization. I feel like who your contacts are says something about you professionally, and adding every Tom, Dick, and Harry dilutes your pool much more than it adds to it. Having 20 contacts who work for a given company doesn't do poo poo for you if none of them would be willing to take a few minutes to help you out with a referral or to pass your resume on to their manager.

No one's going to go through your carefully cultivated list of connections and note your good taste in colleagues.

ProFootballGuy
Nov 6, 2012

by angerbot

Thoguh posted:

They find you.
Yes, but to expand a bit more: make connections with other people in your industry, with similar jobs or the job you want to have. Figure out what keywords appear a lot. You can also look at some job descriptions/openings on company websites and include the keywords listed in the job descriptions. Once you have a critical mass of 2nd and 3rd degree connections, the recruiter spam floodgates will open.

ProFootballGuy
Nov 6, 2012

by angerbot

Comrade Flynn posted:

Are there any services that will overhaul your LinkedIn page for you? I have just about everything else (Nearly 1000 connections, tons of group memberships, etc), but feel like the copy on my page needs quite a bit of work/SEO magic.

Keywords, keywords, keywords. And don't ashamed to tout what you've done or been involved in. List everything, and include numeric values if possible.

As a sales engineer, I had a prospective customer refuse to buy unless we provided rock-solid ROI metrics for him. So we brought in our exec team to help quantify the ROI, huge spreadsheets and all, and the customer bought.

Not a month later did I see our customer's guy on LinkedIn touting the exact metrics we gave him, as him being a superhero and the savior of his company.

He wound up in a way more high-profile job a month after that, and we continued our sales relationship with a new, bigger company. Lessons.

ProFootballGuy fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Aug 20, 2013

• Locked thread