Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
12 Twelve Twelved
Dec 13, 2012
Question about what to say when reaching out to people via linkedin for a job:

I’m looking to apply for 2 jobs at separate companies. Both have automated web forms which, in my experience, are a huge waste of my time. Luckily I’m a 2nd degree from the recruiter that listed the first job on linkedin. The second job isn’t listed on linkedin, but I’m a 2nd degree from one of the three people listed as working at said company in my area. The company seems small, so they might be involved in the recruitment process, but who knows.

How do I approach these two situations? Do I send a connection request to the recruiter and then follow up with a message saying I saw the listing and want to apply? For the second one, who isn’t a recruiter, should I just apply online and then send a message along the lines of “Hi, I recently applied to a position at your company and was wondering if you had a moment to talk about what its like to work for your awesome company?”

Any feedback would be really appreciated. Great thread. Can’t believe I didn’t find it until yesterday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

12 Twelve Twelved
Dec 13, 2012
What am I doing wrong:

Over the last 3 days I’ve been aggressively applying for linkedin jobs every night. Basically I find a newly listed job that I’m qualified for, find the person who posted it/recruiter at company, and then send them a message. In the past I would get a response within a few days about 70% of the time. I haven’t heard a thing back and my profile hasn’t been viewed by any of them.

My new messages are basically cover letters “Hey I saw your listing [great things about me], [how I fit all the requirements], [why I want to work for them], if I look like the type of guy that can help your team [link to CV, contact info].” They are as short as I can make them, but it’s still a cover letter.

My old messages were much shorter “Hey I am interested in this job you posted [a little about my background] if I look like somebody who can be part of your team can I send you my CV?”

The response rate on the latter is better, but neither has landed me an interview. Should I carry on doing what I’m doing or is there a better strategy? I’m trying to do everything I can to avoid applying directly through a website/linkedin.

12 Twelve Twelved
Dec 13, 2012
Wanted to come back after ~6 months to share a linkedin success story. I used linkedin a lot before quitting my old job, but it wasn't until I read through this thread that I decided to use it very aggressively. I added about 100 recruiters and then used them to message people directly about jobs at companies that had openings I learned about online. About 3 months later I nailed a fantastic job in an industry completely outside of my old one. In the process I just about tripped my salary, cut my commute to a 10 min walk, and I love my company even after the romance wore off.

Everybody says it, but the best advice is not to give up. If you are getting rejected or not getting traction just push forward harder. My other advice is to find job listings anywhere besides linkedin and then message people on linkedin about them. From my experience the linkedin job boards are too popular and its best to not apply to them directly. Instead message the person listing the position or somebody else at the company.

Thanks thread!

12 Twelve Twelved
Dec 13, 2012
What job boards are you folks using besides linkedin? I'm a program manager in tech, if that helps.

I'm back on the market after my linkedin success story 2 years ago. I've been directly messaging recruiters like before, but have had less success. I have 6 years of experience now, and 1 year at the senior level. A bit surprised at the low response rate. Either people started using linkedin correctly so recruiters are desensitized or I'm just targeting established companies with higher volume (Microsoft, Amazon, etc.)

12 Twelve Twelved
Dec 13, 2012

HiroProtagonist posted:

Probably a little bit of both. Since I wrote the OP I've seen the advice appear in different forms in a lot of different forms and formats. Also, larger, established companies tend to hire mid-to-senior levels by headhunting them directly, so a C-level potential employee generally gets picked up through targeted recruitment rather than wideband trolling on Linkedin. Whatever else, Linkedin is definitely more useful for people without a personal (face-to-face) network to work off of.

Leverage your title in your name card, and start really taking a fine toothed comb to your position descriptions and experience, is the best advice I can give. Make sure to include relevant metrics too, and don't be afraid to softball them. Not saying make poo poo up, but do things like consider using potential revenue in place of actuals, and above all else, use numbers.

Thanks. My experience has been that I don't pull any recruiters unless I'm working for a highly visible company in a desirable role. At that point it doesn't even matter what I put in my descriptions. I even removed all of mine to make it more professional and haven't bothered to update them since.

The strategy that always works for me is finding openings, be it via linkedin, company website, or some other job board, and then getting in touch with people through linkedin. They almost never view my profile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

12 Twelve Twelved
Dec 13, 2012
Just following up with my second linkedin success story:

12 Twelve Twelved posted:

I'm back on the market after my linkedin success story 2 years ago. I've been directly messaging recruiters like before, but have had less success. I have 6 years of experience now, and 1 year at the senior level. A bit surprised at the low response rate. Either people started using linkedin correctly so recruiters are desensitized or I'm just targeting established companies with higher volume (Microsoft, Amazon, etc.)

This was the longest most difficult job hunt I've ever had. I moved from San Francisco to Seattle. It took ~6 months of searching, retraining myself to have new skills, transitioning into a more technical role, having little support from family, and using every trick I knew to pull it off. It also paid off big time, landing an amazing opportunity I never expected to have. Its been a humbling experience.

I ended up using a linkedin premium business account due to the lovely new search paywall. I was targeting big companies like Google, Microsoft, and Amazon. I found recruiters and hit them up about listings I found on their job portals. I wouldn't settle for bad offers or a position that wouldn't be good for my career, which added to a lot of the time and meant I turned down companies halfway through my process with them. I interviewed with all the big boys, but it was Amazon that ended up being the easiest to work with. I hit up a recruiter for an Amazon role through LinkedIn, who basically gave me their typical phone screen. The job I applied for ended up getting filled the day I spoke with him, but I took the chance to tell him about another role I thought I was a good fit for. He followed through and forwarded me to the person handling it. That's the chain of events that got me an offer with them 3 months later.

I left a bad job in the entertainment industry 3 years ago which was my first gig out of college. I was making barely 32,000 a year living paycheck to paycheck in the bay area. My priority was to get marketable skills and start making serious money. I used linkedin to find my path out of that lovely career track and doubled my salary- 65,000 a year doing less work with a better title at a random startup. I did that for a year and then networked into a senior level role at a medium sized company. I bumped my salary up to 90,000. Less than a year later, they were acquired by a bigger company and laid off most of my office. My new job isn't senior level, but it's a much more marketable title and position. I'm now making north of 120,000 and my cost of living went down by probably 30%. So, thanks to a lot of hard work and risk taking, I've basically quadrupled my income in 3 years. I look at some of my old colleagues back at my first company and they have the same titles making the same pitiful wages.

I know I was underpaid out the door and others have even more impressive stories earlier in life, but I wanted to share what I've been able to achieve largely thanks to linkedin, hard work, and networking. I'm 28 and while I've always been ambitious, I don't consider myself an exception person. If you're reading this thread from the pit of work related despair, don't give up, keep at it, and take those calculated risks. Linkedin is harder to use than before, but it's a very very valuable tool if you know how to use it.

• Locked thread