Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hatless
Jan 5, 2013
Linkedin is a weird tool. There are a lot of recruiters on it, and that is probably what you want, if you're thinking of signing up.

With Linkedin, you'll get a lot of outsourced recruiters contacting you, sending your resume along for jobs you are not qualified for, and weeding you out of ones that you are based on different sets of arcane business rules.

These people don't know much about the jobs that they are trying to fill and can be easily fooled. If you're just starting out, don't get into technological details with them when they ask you things like, "Are you more experienced with PHP or Zend?" They're just trying to do their job.

If you want a job based on your skills and who you know, it's best to actually make friends with the people you work with and do what you do. They'll recommend you for jobs if it comes up.

A lot of you will be trying to get your first job though, so network doesn't mean much. In that case, Linkedin just functions as another Monster.com.

Sign up if you think this sounds good, but remember that the advice posted before me: These are not your friends. Treat it exactly like a Monster.com resume.

Hatless fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Feb 3, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hatless
Jan 5, 2013

Dr_Amazing posted:

I used a photo of me giving a presentation in front of a large group. I think it does a good job of showing me doing something important looking while also not making me feel like I'm being judged on my appearance or something.

I think that this would be a good sort of photo for an organizer or team leader.

Hatless
Jan 5, 2013
I'm not a Linked-in expert, but it shouldn't always be necessary to post to get recruiter calls. (mind you, these will not always be good calls, like, from the same state/prov.)

They will find your resume.

Don't worry about your employer finding out, Risque, lots of people use it for networking. (And the recruiters are probably outsourced anyway.)

• Locked thread