Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
So I am coming up on graduation with a BE Mech Eng in December, think I should start messaging all the recruiters I've added over the years on LinkedIn or is that hella annoying/pointlessly time consuming?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
You're right. Sent out a message to 20 recruiters or HR people that are on my contacts list. Ill probably comb through my groups and see if I cant add a dozen more or so.

EDIT: Got two replies! At least one of them read no less than the first sentence of my email which is impressive considering the literacy rate amongst recruiters seems to be ~5%.

CarForumPoster fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Aug 29, 2013

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

salted hash browns posted:

Really quickly, what is the reasoning for this again? It seems unlikely that I would ask a stranger for an in at his company, or ask a random person for an introduction to someone else.

I added about 75 technical recruiters whom I don't know tonight. (Enough that linkedIn made me fill out Captchas) Its their job to find talent, and I am talented so I figured why not?

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

RTB posted:

When a recruiter searches LinkedIn they see their 1st, 2nd, and 3rd level connections at the top of the list.
If you're connected to a recruiter, odds are they will find you when searching for talent.

Also true of groups. 3rd doesn't really help you but 2nd and group connections mean they can add you and message you with very little effort.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Rad R. posted:

How do you actually recognize a recruiter by profile? I need recruiters in the creative sector, such as design, illustration, copy writing, media. I've joined many specialized groups, but thus far, Stairmasters has been the most useful group I am a member of. Most groups are full of spam posts, or posts by people who shouldn't call themselves professionals.

Step 1) Join a gently caress ton of a groups related to your field. Dont bother reaiding or looking at them again, theyre just to rank in search.
Step 2) I did the following searches:
Recruiter narrowed to [My area],[My State]
Technical Recruiter narrowed to [My area],[My State]
Recruiter narrowed to [My University Alumni] (because you can add all of them as connections)
Engineering Recruiter not narrowed to anything.
Step 3) Add people til it makes you fill in captchas.
Step 4) When they add you, contact them about placement.
Step 5) Profit

I did this late last night and have spoken to one this morning on the phone with about 4 reply emails.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
Had two phone calls from recruiters now and several returned emails. Considering it only took me a couple hours, I am getting way more possible things than I would applying to crap online.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Boris Galerkin posted:

How do I add recruiters as connections? I don't know if I posted it in this thread or not but none of my friends use LinkedIn to get jobs and only a very small handful have an account just to have one but never use it. Everybody I know gets jobs and networks the old fashioned way ("Hey former classmate/colleague Dave, I'm looking for a job in out in Nantucket, can I shoot you my resume and tell me if I'd fit in anywhere at Acme?" or "Hey Dave, know anyone over in Acme I could get in contact with?") so I don't have a whole lot of connections on LinkedIn. If I search for "engineer recruiter" for example everybody comes up in the "3rd/not connected" category and then when I try to connect it tells me I can't connect to people I don't know.

CarForumPoster posted:

Step 1) Join a gently caress ton of a groups related to your field. Dont bother reaiding or looking at them again, theyre just to rank in search.
Step 2) I did the following searches:
Recruiter narrowed to [My area],[My State]
Technical Recruiter narrowed to [My area],[My State]
Recruiter narrowed to [My University Alumni] (because you can add all of them as connections)
Engineering Recruiter not narrowed to anything.
Step 3) Add people til it makes you fill in captchas.
Step 4) When they add you, contact them about placement.
Step 5) Profit

I did this late last night and have spoken to one this morning on the phone with about 4 reply emails.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Rurutia posted:

It allows you to add recruiters in the same group as you.

This.

That is why you do the things I said in the order I said them. Also can search for LION which is linkedin open network. Once the first round of recruiters add you you will be 2nd connection to a huge number of people.

BTW you click "friend" to not have to answer an email. I figured you'd figure that out but you didn't figure out how to add people you don't know despite strategies being laid out in several posts.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

smokmnky posted:

So I've read through the OP, joined groups and have a pretty good profile but now I'm just wondering the best way to get in touch with recruiters. I've been sending and accepting any requests I get but if I do a search for [job title] + recruiter + [my city] I see a few but they all have the "inmail" or whatever and I can't add them. What's the best way to build up further connections?

More groups such as open netwroking groups for your city, job hunting/posting groups, as well as secondary and tertiary connections.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

smokmnky posted:

is there a good "query" to use for finding these groups? I did get some connections going for some companies I'm interested in so now I'm hoping I can find the recruiter at those places and make a connection or 2.

Look at the groups your connections have joined. By the way you're limited to 50 groups now so basically you should join 50 groups.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
LinkedIn success story, on my mass add of recruiters I added one from one of the biggest names in consumer electronics who was a recruiter for a different field of engineering. Didn't even notice really. When one of his connections, also a recruiter at that company, but for my field, searched for someone with my background, I was in his results and have a phone interview for tomorrow.

Quarex posted:

Only 50 groups? drat, I have to be getting close to that. Maybe I should de-prioritize the number of groups I joined for the school in another country I attended for a year and have no actual connection to whatsoever.

Those LION groups that say they are for OPEN NETWORKERS, are those literally just groups for recruiter-types, or should I be joining those, too?

Join them.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Orange Somen posted:

Has anyone had success getting unsolicited requests for interview straight out of college? I'm a recent graduate in a supposedly in-demand field with 300+ connections, most of them recruiters, and not a peep yet.

I just described my success, I am a mechanical engineer graduating in december with a fair amount of experience though.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

mcsuede posted:

Endorsements have added so much noise to LinkedIn there's really no reason not to go full LION. I had been resisting for years, only connecting with authentic connections, but it's a joke at this point. It's just a big networking and "self-branding" circle jerk so go crazy.

Adding strangers that are recruiters has most likely gotten me a job that a has caused a few people to tell me I'm the most successful person in my graduating class. I Showed up in the recruiter who messaged me search because I SEO'd my profile, got endorsements for the keywords I wanted and added recruiters at that company so I was a 2nd connection to him when he searched my keywords.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
Isn't the whole point of this thread to convey that this should not be used passively, but rather that you should actively join groups, contact and add recruiters?

Also hahahaha at being a "non technical elite researcher"

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

HiroProtagonist posted:

I got an invitation to "publish" on Linkedin too, once. I laughed and forgot about it. Sometimes I click on stuff other people publish, and then I regret it.

This.

Unrelated to that:

If I want to move to move back to my home city to work, is it going to make a huge showing in search results difference if my current job is located somewhere else? I've added every in-industry recruiter in the first 6 or so pages of search results for "my_industry recruiter" and have 500+ connections in my home city so I feel like I'd rank pretty well for whoever is looking. Still, not sure how many recruiters/companies limit their search to their immediate state/area only.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
Hey so I found a "duh" way of making the right connections. Search for jobs you'd want that are currently posted to LinkedIn under the Jobs section. Add the recruiters who posted them. If I do switch jobs it'll probably be in 6+ months and in the mean time I will be ranking front page for the people provably searching for people like me.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

FrozenVent posted:

Nobody gives a poo poo about endorsements.

I would bet that they help you rank in search though I have not done tests to confirm this. Thus, I give a poo poo about them and so should he but recruiters don't care at all.

null gallagher posted:

What's the worst that can come from a polite "hey, not looking right now, but let me add you so we can talk when I am"?

Agreed.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

egoslicer posted:

I get about 5-10 recruiters a week, and usually just ignore them. The only recruiter I've ever used took me to lunch to get to know me, then dinner later in the week to present different jobs. Then she took me to the interviews, waited for me, and we talked after. Later she negotiated way over my asking price and got me relo and signing. If I'm ever in the market, she is my goto. I found her on Yelp, where she had 50+ 5 star ratings. If you're ever in the Bay Area and looking for a Senior level DevOps or Developer role, I'll give her your info.

I am a Sr. mechanical engineer in that area and that sounds incredible. Is she software only? I have a pretty awesome resume in mechanical engineering/manufacturing and I only get maybe 1-2 jobs a month through indeed or LinkedIn, though I am not actively looking at the moment.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Pilkington posted:

Is it kosher to message a recruiter for a company I applied for to see if they could tell me why I got rejected? I applied for a position that I thought I met the requirements for pretty well and got a rejection form email the next day. I don't want to contest their rejection, I just wanted to see if there were any red flags in my application or resume that I should worry about.

They already rejected you what do you have to lose? Though I agree they prob wont tell you poo poo.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
I did a cursory google for recruiters on Yelp and didnt see results, could you explain how you found her so I can do the same with my field.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Boot and Rally posted:

My attempts to follow the advice in the OP are hitting two walls. The first is I cannot connect with any of the recruiters in the groups I am in. The option simply isn't there. I can InMail them though, would that suffice? I think that would lead to be being quickly forgotten unless that is the way to get connections. Second, LinkedIn drops a message strongly discouraging linking with people you don't know, so I'm interested in the answer to the above question.

InMail is nice because if they dont reply you get another InMai. That said if you arent contacting them because fo a job theyre in charge of the req for theres not really any benefit, unlike a connection where you'll now show up in more 2nd degree searches. It is possible LinkedIn disabled the option to connect with people in groups, if you can see their full name try searching for it, explicitly. It might be the only way to add people you don't know is if they are a 2nd connection.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

devmd01 posted:

This isn't LinkedIn specific but I have a networking etiquette question.

The boss that hired me at my current job left for another place 3 weeks ago. I am also looking, and this morning he texted me asking if it was okay for him to introduce me to some contacts of his, so of course I said yes.

He sends off a nicely worded email praising me to a couple of people, one of them a VP at a place I might be interested in working at. The VP responds to me with a "please review the open positions on the website to see if there are any positions you are interested in," that's it.

What is appropriate here? Respond with "x position looks interesting, thanks old boss for the introduction?"

I'd reply like that then follow up by phone with your old boss by phone. I'm no expert in business etiquette though.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

posh spaz posted:

wtf is a dog's breakfast?

Something you wouldnt want to eat.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Tortilla Maker posted:

I was contacted by a Managing Director from an established and well-regarded legal recruiting firm. The inMail message was brief and simply said that he looked at my profile and believes I have the experience a client of theirs is seeking (though the subject of the message read 'In-House Role' so ???).

He provided his phone number. Is it generally a better approach (or more professional even in the world of LinkedIn) to begin the conversation via phone? Or do you mostly believe that it's perfectly acceptable to just begin a conversation via LinkedIn to get additional information on this otherwise vague message.

Getting a phone number and speaking to someone is the only way to motivate them to get you a job and to act quickly imo. Even goes for a recruiter at a large company that's contacting you. Show them you're excited, qualified, etc and theyll be motivated to get you through the process. Again, imo, it matters how the recruiter prsents you to the hiring manager. "I met this great guy who is qualified" -vs- "Heres someone I talked to that is qualified"

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
Just add him as a friend and message him the regular way loving paying for that InMail garbage.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

That link 404'd for me.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Big Spoon posted:

I've just applied to an interesting position. I found who I think is the hiring manager on LinkedIn and I wondering if you think its worth messaging him. He's got the same background as I do and the same major so I figured I'd ask how his education and degree helped him in his current role. He also used to perform the same job I applied to which may help me determine a good fit. Should I message this person and if so, how should I word it?

That seems like a kinda boring, formal question. If youre gonna message someone, ask them something they'd wanna reply to, or just use it to call attention to your baller rear end linkedin since they'll probably visit it if theyre considering you as a candidate.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
I would. Recruiters/HR dont really read that far down anyway, its something you can point to and say "I am committed to staying at the forefront of technology and education" or some similar line employers like.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
You select friend.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
+1 for changing your location so you show up in searches. As you discovered you can disable notifications.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

BERGfu posted:

Thanks I'll just have to run it by a few people instead of a service.

If you post I will review.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

I applied to position X like 8 months ago. It was never filled, and was recently re-posted. I found somebody on LinkedIn who held that position about a year ago and moved up in the firm. I would like position X.

1. Is it appropriate to reach out to this person?

2. How should I go about it/ what should I say?

Can't hurt you already dont work there and arent getting replies. You cant get negative 1 replies haha. If he is like...who the gently caress is this guy well guess what? You already didnt get a response to applying.

Also you should reapply if you havent already.

ianskate posted:

Keeping that information in mind, though it's likely not essential to this, how would you structure your profile to imply that you're aiming to do different things and searching for new challenges, while still being fully employed and skilled in a few different areas?

I might include the stuff that I am studying near the top, but that's a hard thing to do. You might be better served by doing that though applying to stuff.

CarForumPoster fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Feb 19, 2016

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Massasoit posted:

I got a link request from an hr director from a large organization that I was looking at a posting for. The posting has been up a long time.

We had a mutual connection through my graduate school advisor. Would it be appropriate to reach out and ask about the status of the position?

Probably.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
Pro tip: Who cares about the news feed.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Zero Gravitas posted:

Is there a way to keep my linkedin activity secret from people who I'm already connected with? I've connected with most of the people at my small engineering company, but in the new year I'm moving abroad so trying to line up a job for then - and for my industry in the country I'm moving to, linkedin is a primary recruitment method.

Obviously I dont want to tip off my workplace to my moving before I absolutely have to.

You can make all your activity private in settings. I update my profile with small tweaks and new connections regularly and I believe none are published.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Alder posted:

Should I just post my complete resume on Linkedin? I can't think of anything else to post for my profile. Also how do some people have 500+ connections? Perhaps if they added all their co-workers and their friend's friends? Do recruiters contact you via PM or send emails? Not like I have much exp getting offers...

I have 700ish connections cause I added most of the people I went to school with, any vendors/salespeople/gas station attendants I ever met while working, most people that I work with plus all the execs (which is about 200 people total that I know in real life) and then 500 people in HR or engineering (I am an engineer) positions at companies I may want to work for or in cities I may want to work or who are in groups I am in. "Strategic adds" I call them because I like bullshit buzzwords.

Pryor on Fire posted:

Don't put your resume on linkedin just your company name and grossly inflated job title. I seriously can't find a single person who isn't a senior lead manager vice president director on linkedin anymore, it's bizarre how people fight for those meaningless titles even when they are doing entry level helpdesk poo poo.

Oh and be sure to put that you're the founder and CEO of whatever home business you started even if you never incorporated and have never tried to make any money with it, that seems to be mandatory for linkedin profiles in 2016.

Also this.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
FWIW I like recommendations. Its important they seem personal though so as not to be perceived as a quid-pro-quo scenario.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
What evidence do you have that they don't use the endorsements section as an SEO metric? It seems very obviously geared toward that it's literally keywords that people give you "PageRank" style endorsements for.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS posted:

Is it weird to add people on LinkedIn if you interview with them?

If you've got a badass profile, why not? You're advertising.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
Why worry about it?

• Locked thread