Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
evensevenone
May 12, 2001
Glass is a solid.

Thoguh posted:

But you get absolutely zero utility from it. Here's a scenario for you. You are looking for a job somewhere and you notice a second level connection that you'd like to get in touch with to help you out.

Option 1: You are only adding people you are actually connected with, and so are your connections. You get ahold of your first level contact and ask them if they can help put you in touch with person number two. Since they know both of you they contact person number two and put you in touch. Person number two was put in contact with you via someone they actually know so are actually open to talking with you. This is real networking and after meeting them they might be happy to help you find a job. Or maybe you find out the job isn't for you. Either way you now have a new, real connection.

Option 2: You spam invites and so do your connections. You notice a second level contact. You send them an inmail. They probably ignore it because your just some rear end in a top hat who contacted them out of the blue. Even if they don't you could have sent them an email and had the exact same level of response. In this instance going through LinkedIn is totally pointless. You could have just sent an email.

LinkedIn is great because it facilities the use of your network. It's powerful because it allows you to better maintain and leverage your connections. It is an extension of networking. It isn't a replacement. I'm not trying to poo poo up the thread. I think you're giving bad advice. Or at best you are giving advice that is correct for your industry/situation and assuming it is right for everyone. You are trying to use a networking site as a job board.

This is bad comparison.

Option 1 is you are connected to say 40 people that you know well, and those people are connected to say 40 people they know well.

Option 2 is that you are connected to 40 people you know well, and another 160 people you don't know well. Same for your contacts.

If you take option 2, you aren't losing your "real" contacts. You're just expanding on them. Maybe the person looking for a job is able to do their own evaluation of applicants and doesn't care how closely they are "connected". All it means is that if they happen to be a person who does care, you wouldn't get a connection that you wouldn't have gotten anyway.

If you look, nearly all recruiters do LION. These are people who spend a lot of time on LinkedIn and get paid on their ability to leverage it for their use. There's just no reason to say "hey this person doesn't know me, better make sure that it's impossible for them to contact me". Unless you are literally overwhelmed with LinkedIn requests or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evensevenone
May 12, 2001
Glass is a solid.
It's pretty normal, but that sounds like kind of a sketchy company.

The thing with LinkedIn is that you're seeing their real name and employer so there's a bit less opportunity for complete fraud. Obviously, though, if you've never heard of the company... what their profile says doesn't mean a whole lot.

evensevenone
May 12, 2001
Glass is a solid.
There's really three kinds of recruiters, and it's important to understand the differences when you deal with them.

Internal recruiters--these people are just employees of the company whose job it is to find talented people. Sometimes it's a division of HR, sometimes it's just something managers do as part of their responsibilities, sometimes it's a whole dedicated group of people. These people can be pretty helpful, they know the processes the organization uses, and often get notified of positions before they appear publicly. On the other hand, once they pass you off to the hiring team, they're usually pretty hands-off (unless they're on the hiring team...). These are also the people that usually go to career fairs, do on-campus interviews, that kind of thing. Obviously, they aren't going to help you on salary/benefit negotiations

External recruiters on retainer--these people work for an outside firm, and the firm is hired by the employer to fill certain positions. They get paid a (large) percentage of the final salary for a period of time, and usually they have an exclusive on a particular position. These guys are usually great to work with; the reason that employers use them (despite the huge cost) is that they usually have a good knowledge of their industry and can match people with positions and save everyone involved lots of time and trouble. Unlike the internal recruiters they can be helpful in negotiation, although their priority is really to make a deal happen so they get paid. They're a little more common at the upper end of the spectrum where it's a lot hard for organizations to find good talent.

External recruiters who work on contingency--this is where things start getting bad. Contingency means that they don't have any particular agreement with the employer and the employer might have listed with multiple agencies. Or even worse, the employer wants nothing at all to do with recruiters, and these guys just harvested a job description off a website and are going to try to squeeze their way into the hiring process. Generally these guys are pretty much bottom feeders and will just take a spray and pray approach; they're why almost any job posting you see will say "no agency resumes". I'm not even sure how they have a viable business model since nobody really wants to work with them, but I suspect they just hire a bunch of kids/desperate people and pay them on commission. Sadly these are the people that spend all day on LinkedIn or combing monster. Some of them are OK but you really want to be careful.

evensevenone
May 12, 2001
Glass is a solid.
They can be OK; sometimes an employer will just fire off a position description to several firms, and will pay whomever came up with the winning candidate. The problem I always get is that two or three different guys contact me for the same position, slightly disguised. And sometimes you find them trying to wedge you into a position that doesn't make sense (or even worse editing your resume to push you over the edge). It's just a less lucrative, more competitive environment that leads to more inefficiencies and bottom-feeding. It also usually signifies the employer is less invested in filling the position (because they weren't willing to pay a professional upfront).

evensevenone
May 12, 2001
Glass is a solid.
I'm the one who brought the distinction up, and I do think its important to at least be aware of. There are certainly good recruiters who work on contingency. The problem is that at least from what I've observed the bad ones are the ones you hear from the most. They don't really understand their industry and they cast a really wide net for applicants because they suck at screening. So you need to be aware that the person calling you out of the blue and telling you that you are a shoe-in for a job may in fact be a moron.

Reputation is a big deal for established headhunters, but I suspect most of those guys leave the industry pretty quickly because they aren't having a lot of success.

Moral of the story: be aware of who you are dealing with and be suspicious if they don't really know what they're talking about.

evensevenone
May 12, 2001
Glass is a solid.

Erdricks posted:

I am interested in developing some contacts at a few companies I am interested in working at. Should I be using inmail to cold call or just bullshit an excuse on the connect feature. The people I want to reach out to are 2nd/3rd degree.

Just BS an excuse to connect. Nobody cares about LinkedIns dumb rules. Unless you try to connect with a ton of people who reject you and trigger the spam blocker or something.

evensevenone
May 12, 2001
Glass is a solid.

salted hash browns posted:

Really quickly, what is the reasoning for this again? It seems unlikely that I would ask a stranger for an in at his company, or ask a random person for an introduction to someone else.

A lot of times it's not about "ins". Believe it or not, employers want to hire people, and it's hard to find people to hire. If some random person messages me on LinkedIn and they look like a potential fit, I'm not going to think twice about accepting them. Even if they don't, I'm not going to turn them down, because they are going to bring a bunch of connections with them that are now going to appear in my search results.

There's no downside for either of us. Now, I'm not going to go out of my way to find him a job, or spend more than about 12 seconds looking at their profile, but there's no point in not hitting accept (unless I'm near the contact limit, which I think is comically high).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evensevenone
May 12, 2001
Glass is a solid.

The Sock posted:

I've never dealt with recruiters before, what point in the process do they usually clue you into the the salary range? I would not want to going through the process of everything when I'm happy where I'm at, however, if a job were to offer a larger salary it would be something I'd consider. Should I pass him my resume, keep building experience, and let him know what my salary requirements would be, or just keep this to myself and let me say what they are paying?

It's in the employer's interest to delay telling you the salary as long as possible and to try to control the process. This gets you invested in the position and less likely to walk away if the offer is too low. Whereas it's in your interest to get it as soon as possible. So just go ahead and ask, right on the first contact.

Tell them that you aren't looking for work, that you love your current job, and you're in line for a raise/advancement in the near future. Basically, every reason you have to say no, but don't actually say no. Then say, "Just for comparison, what kind of salary would they be prepared to offer?"

At this point, they either have to tell you, or lose you altogether, so they're probably going to tell you. I suspect their instinct is going to be to pick a number at the higher end of the range they've been given.

I think if they're unwilling to give you a number they probably aren't working with; you'd be doing them big favor by going through the interview process without even knowing whether it's worth your time.

• Locked thread