Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ianskate
Sep 22, 2002

Run away before you drown!

PrivateEyeball posted:

You're essentially sending a cold message to this person. If someone messaged me and said "Hey, look at my resume!" I'd probably just delete it and move on (unless I'm not busy). If someone said "I'm interested in applying for the ______ position at your company. I've experience with _______, _______, and _______. Feel free to check out my resume and contact me." I'll be a bit more intrigued.

EDIT: But don't do that in the connection invite message. Wait for them to make the connection. Then reach out. Nobody reads the invite messages.

I have tried this method, and it hasn't yielded any results. Kind of like filling out job application forms. You're essentially throwing your resume, cover letter, and time ito the garbage. At least from my personal experience.

PrivateEyeball posted:

My attempts at using Linkedin are starting to wear me out. The bigger issue is that I get no response to a lot of my inquiries.

I'm in a similar, lousy situation. Feeling extremely defeated at this point :suicide:

ianskate fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Mar 14, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ianskate
Sep 22, 2002

StarSiren posted:

Count me in, too. Though, in general, I feel really defeated, so maybe it's an extension of that. But, I had applied for a job through a company website and I tried to connect (as people have instructed) with the recruiter for that company. I know they looked at my profile. The next day I get a rejection letter for the position.

I think I'm just having a hard time trying to switch "career fields".

At least you've received the rejection :colbert:

I'm having an impossible time even getting a rejection from any applications. Hearing nothing actually hurts me more, it's insulting. It certainly wasn't this bad years ago when I graduated... got a pretty decent job within 6 months, worked for a solid 4 years, mostly uphill. And then the layoffs hit, and haven't been able to recover.

Also in the switching situation, or at least trying that as well as seeking out familiar positions.

Anyway, back to the LinkedIn topic... finally received one response from a recruiter I added, here's to hoping it leads somewhere.

ianskate fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Mar 16, 2013

ianskate
Sep 22, 2002

StarSiren posted:

I connected with a senior recruiter for a company I'd love to work for. I noticed, through the actual company site, that they have a posting for a job that fits me. Should I try contacting the recruiter through LinkedIn to inquire further? What exactly should I be saying/asking of this guy?

EDIT: I actually went back and found the answer I'm looking for... But it did make me wonder, do recruiters have different "sections" of a company that they hire for? If I contact one recruiter, would they refer me down the correct path? Does it matter?

While I can't say what to do, I've tried the "contact them" approach, and got no response, which was entirely expected. Even knowing that I was 99% qualified (at least based on the description of said job).

ianskate fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Apr 3, 2013

ianskate
Sep 22, 2002

Azuth0667 posted:

Browsing linkedin lately is anyone else noticing that more and more "entry level" jobs are requiring 5+ years experience?

Yeah, I feel like this is happening, at least in the creative industry. The requirements seem to be rising, but the opportunities decreasing. I wonder how pay is, because I've been stuck in a rut for a while, and freelance has dwindled.

ianskate
Sep 22, 2002

Anybody have advice on recruiter follow-up?

I've had a few respond to my connection requests and then send me an email, however I don't want to hound them on a daily basis. What's an appropriate amount of time to remind them of my continued job search?

ianskate
Sep 22, 2002

mfaley posted:

They sent you an email, and then did you respond? And they didn't continue after that?

Yes, yes, and correct.

mfaley posted:

I think it's worth keeping in mind that recruiters have tough skin - they are used to folks being aggressive and, barring anything creepy or obsessive, just use common sense. At what point would you annoy you? Do less than that.

That's why I'm curious. Naturally, I feel like sending a bi-monthly to monthly email reminder would be acceptable, if I haven't heard anything back. Knowing that they're busy juggling multiple clients, people and postings, I can only assume anything else could get annoying.

ianskate fucked around with this message at 20:27 on May 23, 2013

ianskate
Sep 22, 2002

Pug posted:

I would say keep up with them every week or two should be fine. You probably did not meet one of the criteria for a position they had available when they first contacted you. Ask them to help you update your resume. Consider inquiring about any temp positions that may be available while you search for a new permanent position. Also, don't be afraid to contact other staffing agencies.

It seems like the case. I'm trying to make a move across the country, so this may be a problem for them, but I don't know how they prioritize things. I have reached out to multiple recruiters and agencies, following the advice from this thread, but so far it's been a real challenge.

Sarcasmatron posted:

Follow up weekly, always let them know when you're going to follow up again, (e.g. "If I don't hear from you beforehand, I'll ping you next Thursday, OK?).

The only time I've heard a "no" was "Thursday's bad, as I'm going out of town. How about the Monday after?"

It's always good to have a career-goal relevant opener to follow-up emails. This week has provided plenty of fodder for anyone who wants to work in the games industry, as an example.

I'm just having a hard time actually getting a reply. LinkedIn connections happen, but that's about as far as it goes... about 80% of the time. Great advice, I'll test the waters with others and see what works :)

ianskate fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Jun 2, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ianskate
Sep 22, 2002

Question for those pro job hunters out there, relating to LinkedIn specifically (though probably also in general tbh).

I've been in one field for almost 10 years and I'm looking to change my career course to something similar but also very different, requiring more tools and skills that I'm slowly teaching myself with online courses in my free time, so I can eventually add something to a portfolio. Having had horrible luck with recruiters in the past, ie. only got responses from those who just wanted to pump and dump short term freelance creative work for extra payouts or whatever, I'm not entirely sure how to target people / eyeballs for the right things. Actually, I feel like I'm being skipped over having done a lot with some relatively big places.

Keeping that information in mind, though it's likely not essential to this, how would you structure your profile to imply that you're aiming to do different things and searching for new challenges, while still being fully employed and skilled in a few different areas?

ianskate fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Feb 19, 2016

• Locked thread