Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

ObsidianBeast posted:

Once you start building up your contact list, this sort of snowballs since the "you may know" seems to be at least somewhat based on your current contacts. Every once in a while I'll pull up the "you may know" page and just scan through for anyone I even recognize and send them a request. This includes high school friends, former coworkers, current coworkers, family, friends of family members, coworkers of family members, pretty much anyone. I think it was mentioned earlier in the thread, but make a connection with pretty much anyone. It's not expected to have any more communication with them after you are a contact (like being Facebook friends implies), so the more contacts the better.

Is this really the right way to do it though? I intentionally keep my LinkedIn contacts to people that I have actually worked with or had some other kind of contact with in a professional or volunteer setting. Or at least have done some type of networking with. I ignore requests from people I had a class with in high school or anyone who wouldn't be able to provide at least a passing reference for me or help me find a job in their organization. I feel like who your contacts are says something about you professionally, and adding every Tom, Dick, and Harry dilutes your pool much more than it adds to it. Having 20 contacts who work for a given company doesn't do poo poo for you if none of them would be willing to take a few minutes to help you out with a referral or to pass your resume on to their manager.

Thoguh fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Feb 13, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Stultus Maximus posted:

Couple questions: How do you find recruiters?

They find you.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
How do you guys break up different roles within the same project? As separate employments or as bullets within one employment. I just got "lead" added to my job/title recently and I'm wondering the best way to reflect that, since that is definitely something I want on their somewhere.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Omgbees posted:

I always tried to think of my Linkedin profile as a resume that is always "on" where people can get a decent idea of my history / achievements.

I agree with you there. I view my LinkedIn profile as a non-job specific resume that is out there 24/7. Someone compared it to a dating profile and I think that is a very reasonable comparison.

I also think that people in different industries use LinkedIn very differently. And anybody reading this thread should keep that in mind. People giving advice in this thread should do the same. What is standard in one industry can be a big faux paux in others.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
If your only goal is an immediate job search then post your resume on Monster.com or something. What I like about LinkedIn is the quality of the networking - particularly allowing me to keep in easily and without any effort touch with former colleagues, or people I've worked with from other companies. People who could actually help find a job.

A million recruiters who are spamming job openings aren't worth the weight of one guy on the inside who is willing to personally deliver your resume to the hiring manager and put in a good word.

I think if you are spamming connection requests you might have some short term gain but are sacrificing the long term strength of your network. Which is actually also probably why LinkedIn discourages it - because if it is just another job site then what's the point? Going to a company website and submittnig my resume directly does just as much good as a recruiter.

I'm not disparaging recruiters - they serve a purpose and I always accept a connection request from one. But they are a small part of LinkedIn. Not the main purpose.

Thoguh fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Mar 8, 2013

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Sarcasmatron posted:

This is critical.

But you get absolutely zero utility from it. Here's a scenario for you. You are looking for a job somewhere and you notice a second level connection that you'd like to get in touch with to help you out.

Option 1: You are only adding people you are actually connected with, and so are your connections. You get ahold of your first level contact and ask them if they can help put you in touch with person number two. Since they know both of you they contact person number two and put you in touch. Person number two was put in contact with you via someone they actually know so are actually open to talking with you. This is real networking and after meeting them they might be happy to help you find a job. Or maybe you find out the job isn't for you. Either way you now have a new, real connection.

Option 2: You spam invites and so do your connections. You notice a second level contact. You send them an inmail. They probably ignore it because your just some rear end in a top hat who contacted them out of the blue. Even if they don't you could have sent them an email and had the exact same level of response. In this instance going through LinkedIn is totally pointless. You could have just sent an email.

LinkedIn is great because it facilities the use of your network. It's powerful because it allows you to better maintain and leverage your connections. It is an extension of networking. It isn't a replacement. I'm not trying to poo poo up the thread. I think you're giving bad advice. Or at best you are giving advice that is correct for your industry/situation and assuming it is right for everyone. You are trying to use a networking site as a job board.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

evensevenone posted:

Option 2 is that you are connected to 40 people you know well, and another 160 people you don't know well. Same for your contacts.

Not "don't know well". "Don't know at all". Big difference.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

RisqueBarber posted:

It's not like facebook where you look at your friend requests. In LinkedIn no one gives a poo poo. I went from 20 connections to 550 in three weeks and I only had one guy message me, "Do I know you?"

I have generally given up on trying to prevent this thread from consisting of only lovely advice. But I do want to point out that the point of LinkedIn is the exact opposite of this mindset. As I posted earlier, you gain zero utility, and if anything have a negative impact, from adding random people that aren't actually part of your network. Linkedin exists to leverage your network, not to create a pretend one.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Sarcasmatron posted:

I'll bite.

I'm curious as to how what you're describing leverages your network in any way, shape, or form.

I'm also curious as to how many people you've hired through LinkedIn, or how many jobs you've gotten through LinkedIn, because your approach seems counter-intuitive, at best.

From the first page of the thread, a post that exemplifies what LinkedIn exists for.

TheLizard posted:

I could be a walking advertisement for Linkedin. Two years ago, I applied for a job and passed the phone interview with HR. While I was doing my research on the company, I went to their LinkedIn page and noticed that I had a first degree connection. Odd, I thought. I didn't think I knew anyone there.

It was a colleague from 2 jobs back who was a managing director at this new company. I shot him an email via LinkedIn, and when I walked in the door for the interviews, everyone I talked to knew who I was. Needless to say, I got the job.

It might take years to payoff, but it does!

That is it. That is what I've been bringing up. Leveraging your network. And being able to because your LinkedIn network is actually your network. And also not being banned from being able to add people due to to many people clicking "I don't know this person" when they see your connection request. Which is what would happen to people if they followed the advice of this thread. What is being suggested here is a very specific way to use LinkedIn that is very questionable and is only useful in certain industries. But it is being presented as being a broad way for everyone to use the tool. There is even a derogatory term for what is advocated in this thread "LinkedIn Open Networker". If the OP wants to tell people how to do that then that is fine. But don't pretend that is the standard way to use LinkedIn. Or the way that it should be used outside of the OPs specific industry and situation.

Basically I view this thread like somebody in YLLS starting a thread about weightlifting and then making the discussion exclusively about doing curls in the squat rack.

Thoguh fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Apr 11, 2013

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Omgbees posted:

I hate this, I try to keep a close network of people that I actually have worked with, and then I get an invite from someone I have never heard of before in my entire life who turns out to be some distant connection to someone I know.

Then don't accept it? You aren't obligated to accept every single connection request you get.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

moflika posted:

Since I'm focusing on a niche that is full of small, young companies, I figured that they would look for talent themselves amongst people they are connected to. Not with recruiters.

They are very much likely to look for talent among people they are connected to. But someone they've never met but sent them an invitation to "connect" on LinkedIn is not someone they are connected to, whether they accepted the invitation or not.

People they are connected to that they'd reach out to are friends, colleagues, and former coworkers. Or people that those people recommend to them. LinkedIn would make it easier for them to do that. That's what they'd use LinkedIn for.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

HiroProtagonist posted:

More changes rolled out to the site recently that have now even further increased the number of places Linkedin puts pressure on you directly to increase the size of your network. They are flat out telling you themselves that every new connection helps you at minimum to increase your visibility to others.

If there was any doubt remaining that the site really means to have an implied "... but only if you know them in REAL LIFE!" tacked on to the end of that in every place you see it, I think it should be fading quickly.

Dude, someone just posted that following your advice got them locked down as a spammer. That probably means that LinkedIn does not agree with you on that.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Tai-Pan posted:

If they really are changing that direction, and trying to become the Twitter of Business, then I can only call that a huge misstep.

I agree with that. The utility of LinkedIn is that it isn't just an online resume. It's more like an internet Roladex that stays updated as your contacts move through their careers. If everybody just treats it like Monster.com then it loses its worth. It is in LinkedIn's interest to limit LION (other than obvious exceptions like recruiters) if they want to keep their niche.

Thoguh fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Mar 20, 2014

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Tai-Pan posted:

I still have yet to see a single suggestion or anything like this. Can you share a screenshot?

This will completely end LinkedIN as a professional tool.
It will become nothing but a cesspool of the unemployed.

I still have the "this is spam" and "I do not know this person" options whenever someone requests to connect with me.

And yeah, I don't know what the point would be for LinkedIN if they really were going this route, which I am about 99% sure is just wishful thinking by a few posters. At that point it would have lost all its utility as a networking site and simply be another iteration of Monster.com

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

(A network that just establishes that you work at a company and are important to others has no actual utility.)

Being able to keep tabs on your professional network has immense utility. Which is the whole reason LinkedIn caught on. If it becomes a site only for recruiters and job seekers LinkedIn will be completely changing their business model and trashing their worth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

The site is self-evidently geared toward finding a job,

I'd heavily disagree on that. If you don't mind l my asking, what is your industry and experience level? You give your personal opinions as fact on here so you might as give a baseline for where you are coming from. What works for you doesn't automatically translate into a universal experience.

• Locked thread