Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PennoyerNeff
Mar 29, 2003

Gooey, gooey, gooey . . . DUCK!
I went through Stairmasters a few days ago to send connection requests to goons (didn't get far though because I couldn't find the "Connect" option for most people). Of course these goons can't vouch for me, but I'm using LI as a general networking tool to meet people in industries or geographic locations that I'm interested in. If I ever have a related question, I'll have name/email address to contact. By the same token, I'm happy to accept any connection requests thrown my way. For people who are in Stairmasters but aren't accepting/sending connection requests, why are you in the group?

I'm also in a weird (self-imposed) situation because I'm avoiding people I've worked with in my current job (of 9 years). I don't want to tip off my office that I'm finally fed up with them and I don't want to freak out clients who will be unhappy with my departure. As a result, my sad little Contact List consists primarly of friends, family, and a few former (happy) clients. However, I've backed up my work address book so the minute I give notice, I'll be spamming EVERYBODY.

On a different topic, LI's blog has a bunch of articles with general LI tips or geared toward Jobseekers. In particular, I found this article helpful: How to Get a Job with Your Dream Employer.

PennoyerNeff fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Oct 3, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PennoyerNeff
Mar 29, 2003

Gooey, gooey, gooey . . . DUCK!

hitension posted:

PennoyerNeff- You're probably all over this but do be aware that LinkedIn is very, very searchable. It's usually the first result (even above Facebook) when I google a person these days. There are ways to make your profile information only visible to contacts, but nothing's ever really secret on the internet.

Thanks for the heads up. Yes, I'm aware LI is searchable. The plus side to being piss-poor at self-marketing is that nobody knows me by my LI name. =\

• Locked thread