Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Brian Fellows
May 29, 2003
I'm Brian Fellows
I've got a couple of issues that always pop up when using Monster or any of the other job sites, maybe someone here can help me avoid getting the issues on LI. Or at least give me tips in general I guess?

1. I live far away from where I want to work. I've got a degree from the area I want to work in, but whenever I put my resume online tons of recruiters from the area I'm CURRENTLY in and have no interest in staying in email me. My resume and skills sell themselves, but is there any way (short of a blurb in my description, which I don't want my current employers to see) to give an "I'M ONLY INTERESTED IN OPPORTUNITIES IN THIS GEOGRAPHICAL AREA" vibe? Because up to this point 90% of my recruiter traffic I can rule out within 2 seconds.

2. I make more money than someone my age in my field typically does. That gives me two problems... first I'll get into discussions with a recruiter only to find out after talking for half an hour that they're talking about a job with a laughably lower salary, and second I'll get recruiters that'll instantly give up on me when they hear what I'm making now. I'm willing to take a pay cut to move back to where I want to be, but for some reason, throwing out my salary has been a deal-breaker to recruiters up to this point. So what would you guys suggest is the right time to bring up at least my salary range that won't waste anyone's time and won't scare recruiters off immediately?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brian Fellows
May 29, 2003
I'm Brian Fellows
I have a friend that did that and apparently he had a couple of phone interviews immediately, and after that it dried up 100%. If that's my best bet I have no problem doing it, but it's only so much time until they see that I'm currently employed 1,400 miles from my "Current Location."

I guess that might be a good bet actually, since I'd at the very least turn up in their search and they'd have to actually look to rule me out.

Brian Fellows
May 29, 2003
I'm Brian Fellows
Heh, I've had that before too. A recruiter called me stupid for turning down an offer, then started trying to argue with me. I had to cut her off and ask if she was trying to bully me into a job that I'd just declined.

Maybe it works for her sometimes?

Brian Fellows
May 29, 2003
I'm Brian Fellows

Pug posted:

I work in a recruiting agency. I guess we fit in the retainer category ,but to me that means something different. Retainer contracts usually mean you get paid whether you fill the position or not. We have done that in the past ,but the usual contract is a flat % based on first years salary and potentially any bonuses of any candidates we submit who are hired. For temps it is a % of their hourly wage with a flat fee added if they are hired. We make a point not to mention the name of the company to our potential candidates(you in this case)because of this. If we tell the potential candidates up front the name of the company there is a higher chance the candidate could go around us and conspire with the client to avoid the fee. The recruiters who are working with you are probably what other people in this thread are calling "on retainer".

At what point do you typically bring up what company you're recruiting for? The field I look in most often is automotive, so there are companies that will be around for awhile and there are companies that have struggled drastically. "Large tier 1 supplier" typically doesn't tell me whether or not it's a company I'd even consider, so I get frustrated when a recruiter wants to talk to me for an hour and a half without ever mentioning who we're talking about.

Also HiroProtagonist, thanks for the PM follow up, that's basically what I was looking for (RE: temp to hire positions, and moving somewhere out of current region). I've got a pretty solid LinkedIn profile now, and I've sent my resume mainly to friends that know recruiters in the area I want to move to. Already have a few recruiters adding me as a contact as a result, which is the main thing I was looking for. Happy days.

• Locked thread