Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sancho
Jul 18, 2003

Got into stairmasters thank you. Sent a few requests myself! The only thing it would let me pick for hassle free adding is 'friend' but I don't think anyone even cares.

edit: wow quite a few legit stair guys in there!

Sancho fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Mar 6, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sancho
Jul 18, 2003

I wouldn't worry too much. Linkedin is not serious business even though it's trying so hard to be. It's just a game to exploit like anything else. If you get banned (has anyone ever heard of anyone getting banned from linkedin?) life will go on and you won't be missing much.

You could also set up another account...

Sancho fucked around with this message at 13:05 on Apr 11, 2013

Sancho
Jul 18, 2003

HiroProtagonist posted:

This popped up on LinkedIn for me today, it was an interesting read and probably relevant to many people in this thread.

http://www.linkedin.com/today/post/article/20130416162512-15454-is-a-hiring-rebound-around-the-corner?trk=eml-mktg-condig-0108-p1

I wish they would adjust those charts and weigh by median salary or something. Two posted jobs at McDonalds paying $7.50 each is better than one job paying $15, according to those charts. I guess that's more of a BLS issue tho.

Sancho
Jul 18, 2003

Hughlander posted:

Places I've been if they were going to call references would always check linked in first and request references that weren't on the linked in recommendation list.

That's incredibly dumb.

Sancho
Jul 18, 2003

I got a nice contract with a company by trolling group discussion boards. It's a joke; do what you want at this point.

Sancho
Jul 18, 2003

Kim Jong Il posted:

They are, but you need technical skills too. Learn one or more of the following: R, SQL, Python.

Can't go wrong with any of those three.

Sancho
Jul 18, 2003

Tai-Pan posted:

I ignore, and mark as spam, people that do this.

Most people don't do this btw. Take everything goons say with a grain of salt.

Sancho
Jul 18, 2003

Tai-Pan posted:

What is the point of "connecting" with people you don't know. On the balance, it will either be useless or annoy them. Why would you want either of those?

I don't know where you are in your career, but I actually had this exact discussion with some more senior folks and every one of them has started marking all of these people as spam. Frankly, I think India has started causing a lot of this attitude because I get 3-5 requests a day from Indian SEO/PPC/Web Development/Tech Support company owners every day.

Philosophical question I guess, but just saying most people don't go out of their way to be a dick about it because their precious Linkedin is getting sullied by those damned Indians. You're somewhat special in that sense. As for me, I use Linkedin how I want to, not how Linked wants me to. What are they really going to do about it, kick me out? I know what their ToS says, but I've never heard of a single example of it being reinforced.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sancho
Jul 18, 2003

GTGastby posted:

I'm also senior in technology, and I agree with Tai-pan completely, as do most of the other senior level people on my linked-in. It might be fine if you are just starting out and don't know anyone, but I don't know any senior level people who just accept random requests from people they don't know.

For me, it's about the same level of annoyance as if some random person comes up to me at a bar or party and starts talking about work and asks about getting a job. Tai-Pan is definitely not the only one that feels that way.

'senior-level people'

• Locked thread