Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Suffer not the lobbyist to live.
It will keep you from being in the profile complete range. I've seen some people upload logos instead of pictures. I'm not sure how that looks to anyone interacting with you professionally though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Only having 20 connections means that your network is very tiny. You won't be able to email anyone that you search for. I have every recruiter in this part of the state as a contact so that I have ideally email anyone that's ever talked to a recruiter.

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

If it's a contract recruiter, they'll dump you if they know you've already applied.

Applying directly means the company doesn't have to pay a commission if they hire you. It's cheaper for them, gives you a better stance for negotiation, and it's more likely that they'll hire you over someone else if they're considering you and a contract-recruiter person.

But..

You have to go through the usual HR hoops and potentially get screened out before a human looks at your resume. Recruiters get your resume seen.

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

I've never found recruiters or headhunters to be particularly good with keeping appointments. They're in a numbers game for "sales," not a customer service role.

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

No one reads the connection messages. I always Approve contacts from my email so I never see them.

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Defenestration posted:

If anyone is curious the character limit on connection request messages is about 300. I tried to send one to the director at another publishing company and I was ~400 characters over the limit on a 115 word message :(

So I guess the question is should I super pare this down hardcore or just send a generic invite and message her later if she accepts? Background: I interviewed with her for a job last year, but I did not have the qualifications she wanted. Now I do and I want to explain them a bit and ask her if she'll please keep me in mind for future openings.

My email client just shows me "Bob Smith has requested to connect with you! Click HERE to accept"
To actually see their message, I have to go through a bunch of hoops. I always just Accept and let them message me again if it's about anything important. Similarly, I usually type a low effort connection request and, after I got accepted, send them my full message.

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

'With sufficient motivation, Bob has the potential to be an accomplished worker" ie backhanded compliment. Alternatively, just ignore it or don't friend horrible people.

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

How is it degrading the quality of your network? It doesn't exclude you from anything. It's not like you miss out on anything because of having more connections. I guess your feed gets busier but I dont think anyone uses that anyway.

I started out with 40 connections and barely ever got any profile views, random messages, etc. I invited every recruiter in my metro area and got up to 200 connections. I now get a profile view every few days with occasional invite requests. Also, I can pretty much message anyone in my area within my field since they're almost assured to be a second degree connection.

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Thoguh posted:

But you get absolutely zero utility from it. Here's a scenario for you. You are looking for a job somewhere and you notice a second level connection that you'd like to get in touch with to help you out.

Option 1: You are only adding people you are actually connected with, and so are your connections. You get ahold of your first level contact and ask them if they can help put you in touch with person number two. Since they know both of you they contact person number two and put you in touch. Person number two was put in contact with you via someone they actually know so are actually open to talking with you. This is real networking and after meeting them they might be happy to help you find a job. Or maybe you find out the job isn't for you. Either way you now have a new, real connection.

Option 2: You spam invites and so do your connections. You notice a second level contact. You send them an inmail. They probably ignore it because your just some rear end in a top hat who contacted them out of the blue. Even if they don't you could have sent them an email and had the exact same level of response. In this instance going through LinkedIn is totally pointless. You could have just sent an email.

LinkedIn is great because it facilities the use of your network. It's powerful because it allows you to better maintain and leverage your connections. It is an extension of networking. It isn't a replacement. I'm not trying to poo poo up the thread. I think you're giving bad advice. Or at best you are giving advice that is correct for your industry/situation and assuming it is right for everyone. You are trying to use a networking site as a job board.

Your scenarios assume that the only reason someone would talk to you on a professional networking site is because you share a similar connection. If the person you want to contact is on a social networking site, it probably means they are willing to socially network. If the ONLY reason someone would talk to you is because you know their friend, you're not marketing yourself properly. Every "cold call" message I send out is short, courteous, and professional. Most of the time, I get a response. The advantage LinkedIn has over email is that it allows a global aggregation of professionals in a way that lets you sort them by company, location, etc. People are more likely to respond to LinkedIn over email because they can quickly determine who and what you are by just hovering over your name.

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

I would like to add you to my LinkedIn network.

As long as your profile shows you to be a relevant connection, I cant imagine them turning you down.

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

PrivateEyeball posted:

Nobody reads the invite messages.

This is a fact.
I usually accept people then wait for them to message me. If I am wanting to connect with someone, I will modify the generic invite message in case they DO read it but follow up with an actual message afterwards.

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Join a dozen professional groups that hit your fancy, spam invite some recruiters to build a network. Join the local "networking" groups for your area. Do the same. I'm at about about 200 connections and am a second degree connection with almost anyone that I'd want to connect with for actual job crap.

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

I would reduce the :words: of your summary a bit. It's good information; however, it takes a bit of effort to see the good bits. A lot (most) people don't want to read an essay.

Have you ever heard of an "elevator speech"?
The idea is that it is a ~30 second self-description that you could give to a Very Important Person over the course of an elevator ride. You should have that re-planned and memorized. It's generally used as your opening question answer for your job interviews.

That should be your summary.

Also, I would throw a ton of keywords into your skills section. I think you can fit 40 in there. That's like loading metadata into a webpage for search engines...except with linkedin searches.

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Using a 3rd party recruiter:
PRO: more likely to get interview
CON: hiring you is more expensive as the company in question will have to pay a (large) finder's fee. This means that they might lowball your salary or hire someone else over you.

Applying online:
PRO: no finders fee paid
CON: you are firing your resume into a blank hole of nothingness where thousands of other people may have already poo poo their woefully underqualified resume hoping for a bite. There is a good chance your resume will not be looked at simply due to the volume of submissions.

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Sarcasmatron posted:

The finder's fee paid is generally a percentage of your base salary, so the recruiter is motivated to get you the highest base possible.

I've been fortunate to have had two stellar experiences with recruiters - one as a candidate, one as a hiring manager - so I'm a bit biased.

Yeah, that's totally true.

I've had a less than stellar experience with recruiters. They got me one really high dollar job offer then acted extremely unprofessional towards me when I decided to turn it down.

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Pug posted:

Which recruiting firms were these?

Bradley Morris.

I was working nightshift as an electrical tech at the time. Two of them kept calling me every hour on the hour despite me saying "I AM ON NIGHT SHIFT SO PLEASE DO NOT CALL ME! I AM SLEEPING!"
I was on call so I couldn't turn my phone off either. After the 4th hour of this, I told them that the reason I got a high dollar offer was because my job involves working on deadly high voltage equipment and that if I go into work and make a mistake because I am tired, I could be killed. There may have been a significant amount of profanity in there too. They stopped calling after that. I never used them again and ended up going back to school.

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Julio Cesar Fatass posted:

I had a sinking feeling that these outfits were bad, but I didn't know they were that bad. Has anyone had any success working with guys like this?

Yeah. They throw everyones resume against a ton of positions and see what sticks.

That being said, I got site visit offers from the majority of interviews they sent me to even though the overwhelming majority of jobs I was interviewing for did not meet my minimum criteria.

"Must be located within x miles of city in y region. Must be minimum z salary. Absolutely no rotating shiftwork."

"Ok, this job is x+200 miles away from city in !y region and is offering z-$10,000 salary! Oh, it's rotating shiftwork too by the way hope that's ok wait what do you mean you're not going on the site visit!!!"

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

They don't want you to apply on your own as then the headhunter would not get paid.

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

I'll tell you why you wouldnt apply online.

/**ANECDOTE ALERT**/

I talked to the hiring manager for the utility plant I applied to an internship at during a job fair at my college.

She said I should've applied for an internship based on my resume and skills but that they'd already selected the interns for this year.
I told her that I did, in fact, apply. There was an awkward silence.

"Oh, well we got about 1100 resumes submitted online and we were only looking for 20 candidates. Half of those selected were returning interns so don't feel bad!"

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

LI's definition of a LION also says "Don't network with people you don't actually know."

If someone could kindly explain the benefit of having hundreds of contacts that you have no professional or personal relationship with whatsoever, that would be great.

You can message one of them and develop a personal or professional relationship.

It's not that hard. If you can write a coherent and compelling email, they'll probably respond. Hell, sometimes I have a random question about my field so I'll randomly message someone on my contacts list. Usually they'll respond.

"Hey, I saw that you're the lead peanut taster for Peanut Co. I have a strong interest in the peanut tasting field and was wondering if you had any thoughts on getting certified as a honey roasted peanut taster. I would appreciate any feedback on that idea as I am very passionate about advancing my peanut tasting abilities"

(I haven't had breakfast yet)

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Considering that some days in class I'll spend an entire lecture inviting random people to connect, I don't think you can get banned for that. I've also never gotten locked out from inviting people.

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

salted hash browns posted:

Really quickly, what is the reasoning for this again? It seems unlikely that I would ask a stranger for an in at his company, or ask a random person for an introduction to someone else.

Actually, striking up a conversation with a random stranger is EXACTLY how you get an in with a company.

"Oh, you like puppies? I like puppies too. I bet your company could benefit from more like-minded people like yourself, huh? We could raise the puppability index by 23%!"

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

It sometimes shows up in the top of your linkedin page to rate 4 random people for 4 random skills. Sometimes when I zone out, I'll blow through 40+ skill recommendations for people I know. I dont think anyone cares about that though.

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

I went to a seminar on social engineering/phishing. One of the speakers said that his dummy linkedin accounts have more endorsements than his real one. He pretty much joins a group then friends everyone in the group. After that, endorsements start rolling in. Once his profile looks good, he goes to work.

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Mak0rz posted:

So what's the best course of action then? Or does it even matter? I'm not exactly getting them from strangers, at least. Considering the bullshit nature of LinkedIn endorsements I'm assuming anyone who matters probably doesn't even bother with them?

This seems interesting. I'm not sure what you mean by the last sentence though.

Endorsements dont matter. Dont worry about it.

The speaker I was talking about works as a network penetration tester. He basically cons people into revealing things about their company online then uses that info to break in and steal information. He then writes a report on how he did it so the company can ideally fix the problem.

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Doghouse posted:

Whoa, you applied to 460 jobs? How long did that take you?

I applied for about 200 over the span of 3 weeks when I was in panic mode about getting out of the military. 0 callbacks. I got the professional resume service and saw a lot better response.

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Once you get further along in your career, you'll have more recruiters looking to keep in touch.

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Whenever I get bored, I'll add a dozen or so recruiters in one go. They very rarely will reach out first. It's all a game of building connections. I have at least 250 connections I've never exchanged a single message with. Think of it less like friending someone and more like writing their name down in an address book.

You have to message them first.

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Hi,

My name is KetTarma. I'm an aerospace engineering graduate that's interested in pursuing a career in engineering design. I'd love to talk to you some time about opportunities within your organization that I would be a good fit for.

Best regards,
KetTarma

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

ultrafilter posted:

It's not a matter of having an agenda. It's a matter of having something to offer so that the meeting is mutually beneficial. That's how networking is supposed to work; it's not just you asking me for a job.

Free coffee. Future minion.

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Omne posted:

Reposting as this got lost at the end of the last page

Realistically, you're not going to see much interest with an out of state location to the job posting. Use a family members address if possible. It's very complicated to do what you're trying though.. Almost like a sitcom plot. You'll have to be able to travel for interviews on short notice and move on your own with no relocation.

The alternative is hoping a company will be willing to fly you out for interviews and pay relocation costs. It requires a very particular skillet requirement for the job for them to be willing to do that, in my experience.

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Tai-Pan posted:

You have no work history and no industry.
How isn't an internship the perfect situation for you?

A lot of places won't hire you as an intern unless you're taking courses at a college.

That being said, a lot of fields won't let you in unless you have completed an internship somewhere.

Personally, I've never used groups as anything more than a Rolodex of people that I should message.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

quote:

just something that can be done during your downtime.

That is how I would pitch a legitimate new career.

• Locked thread