Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

I'm the admin of the (only?) SA-related group on Linkedin, Stairmasters. Would be great to throw it in the already-awesome OP if you can! 87 members at the moment.

zmcnulty fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Mar 29, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

Matlock posted:

Trying to join Stairmasters, but haven't gotten approved. :argh:

Sorry about this. Actually the mailbox feature of linkedin is blocked by my office VPN for whatever reason, so I'm only able to approve people when I'm at home.

If anyone else wants to be an admin of the group, just let me know. I asked in the last thread and got no volunteers. Or I could just make it a free group I guess, whatever you guys want.

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

I have just approved 68 outstanding requests for Stairmasters, sorry for the delay. I also made GTGatsby another admin because I know him irl, but if anyone else is interested let me know.

Worth noting that since the beginning Stairmasters has been a members-only group, so all discussions etc. are seen only by members. Whether to show it on your profile or not is your choice, you can change this under Stairmasters - More... - Your Settings.

Being a member does NOT immediately make you a connection with all members of the group, so don't worry about that. You are however free to browse the member list, remembering that all are goons, of course. Stairmasters itself isn't listed in the public groups directory either.

Personally I am pretty loose with connections, since adding someone on LinkedIn and actually providing a reference are two different things. A lot of times it can just be interesting to read resumes of people in a field you are interested in or with skills you want to obtain, to see how they use them. Or if they work or have worked for a company you are interested in, maybe he/she can just provide some idea of the culture and such. Hell there are plenty of other reasons to connect with someone besides recommendations. So if anyone wants to connect with me please feel free.

zmcnulty fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Feb 13, 2013

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

I have a question: is there a way to have different versions of your profile page? Seems you can do multiple translations but can you do two in English? My background is sort of... varied.

I feel sort of dumb listing the fact that I ran a fairly successful videogame website while in college, right below three years of experience in finance. Nobody in finance cares about the website, but likewise, (given the nature of my work) nobody outside of finance cares about the finance.

This is simple to deal with on my actual resume, since I just cherry-pick whatever experience/studies are applicable to the angle I want to push. But I haven't found a way to do that on LI.

Or is the common approach to simply not list any pre-graduation jobs?

HiroProtagonist posted:

Thanks! I'd be happy to admin as well.

Sure, I'll add you tonight.

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

I can tell you how, because there was no verification on my part that the requests were actually coming from goons. Just figured that if you make a request you're a goon since SA is the only place I've ever posted the link.

Hell I thought I had it set to not even show in searches, so unless those stairmaking professionals click on the link in some goon's profile, or got the link by some other means, I don't think they could find it :confused:

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

If anyone can think of a simplistic, non-time-consuming way I can verify applicants to the group are actually goons, I'm all ears. Monthly password or something? There's a text box where you can add a comment when you apply for the group, right?

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

I'm not looking to get connected with every single goon, though. I think if you can just add a comment to the group request, it'll be fine.

Dead Pressed posted:

"I am protected"

We'll do this until the end of March. Hiro can you add it to the OP? I've added it to my post on p1.

zmcnulty fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Feb 28, 2013

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

GTGastby posted:

If everyone was connecting with everyone else indiscriminately, it defeats the whole point of linkedin, and it might as well just be any other job search board. If you don't know the person, are they going to give you a recommendation? As we just saw, it's not likely. So really all it is doing is getting visibility to random recruiters, which from my point of view is more annoying than useful.

This goes both ways. If everyone was only connecting with people they know, it defeats the whole point of linkedin, and it might as well just be any other social networking site. The existence of features like InMail and Get an Introduction implies that at some point, you'll want to connect directly to someone you're only loosely connected to. Isn't that why the site also tells you if someone is a 2nd or 3rd+ level connection?

Any given user's viewpoint will be defined by how he/she answers the question "what's the point of linkedin." If you use it solely to keep a database of people who would recommend you/people you would recommend then certainly, it makes zero sense to add people who don't fit that description.

It's also going to really depend on where you draw the line for words like "know" and "connection." I know you but we've never actually worked together -- would you recommend me for a job?

zmcnulty fucked around with this message at 08:53 on Mar 7, 2013

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

(As the owner of the group) unfortunately I don't have any explanation for that; not like my account is blocked or something.

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

Went ahead and made the group open, since I wasn't really screening anyone anyway. And the message/comment thing appears broken. If anyone has issue with this please let me know.

And when I say "open" I just mean that new joiners no longer need approval from a moderator. The group itself remains hidden unless you want to add it to your profile.

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

Nowhere. I'll take it out of my post.

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

Is it so hard to imagine? Any thread of connection is better than none. Unless of course you hate goons, in which case you shouldn't even be posting. Ever heard of goonerocity?

"Hey random goon, you don't know me but I noticed you posted position abc on the xyz job board. It sounds like a great fit for my background and I've recently been looking to take the next step in my career. I was hoping you could tell me more about your company before I apply. I'll be in your city on business next week, think we could grab a beer?"

If I received a message like this after posting a job, I'd certainly be willing to at least meet the person for a beer if they looked like a decent fit for the position. Specifically because they're a goon; I may not be willing to help a completely random person. Depending on how the beer goes I might even mention something to HR.

That's just one example, there are probably thousands more. Use your imagination. You don't even have to have a 1:1 connection with the person in the above scenario, since LinkedIn will tell you if you have groups in common with a person. Thing is, it only tells you common groups if you click on the profile. By being a connection it will simply show the person as a 1st level connection. It's up to you -- not sure why it's even worth debating in this thread (again) since it's not like we control your LinkedIn profile. You can set it up however you want.

zmcnulty fucked around with this message at 11:29 on Apr 11, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

Approved several outstanding requests for Stairmasters. Despite the fact that I put it on Auto-Join, seems that if you have "few or no connections" you still need admin approval.

I am not such an active user of LinkedIn, so if you are one of the above people and in a rush to join the goon group drop me an email my username at Gmail and I can approve. Please also include an explanation of why you are such a goon that you can't find anyone you know on LinkedIn

• Locked thread