Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

kansas posted:

Second question, has anyone ever been asked to provide an endorsement (the real kind, not the skill kind) for someone who is really terrible and most certainly does not deserve one?

If it doesn't have a chance of biting you in the rear end, just give it, you never know when the favor would be returned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

Scaramouche posted:

Business Intelligence / Big Data Analytics

Do you work for a name firm or have anything else that draws the eye on your profile?

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

Quarex posted:

Yes as someone not in a technical field I can anecdotally tell you that following all the advice in this thread will still basically get you nowhere (passively, that is) no matter how good your profile is. Oddly no-one seems to be hunting LinkedIn for elite researchers or writers.

They are, but you need technical skills too. Learn one or more of the following: R, SQL, Python.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

Quarex posted:

Well this advice sounds amazing, and looking into this I can totally understand why this might be helpful. Even if I manage to stay in academia I am sure this knowledge would be useful (R in particular for social sciences, I would imagine). But it is hard to imagine putting "learning a programming language" on my plate when my dissertation is already killing me. Still, worth investigating.

SQL is really easy to learn, and it absolutely has tons of applications for social science research. 5 commands are 80% of what I regularly use and 8 commands are 90% of what I regularly use. Of course, I'm a data analyst, not a DBA.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003
Problem with that though is if you're paranoid of someone at your current employer seeing it by chance.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003
I'd still say don't get your hopes up. Internal recruiters tend to compile an initial list of candidates for submission to who would actually be the direct supervisor for the position.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

the posted:

Let me take a moment to bitch about the LinkedIn "Industry" fields.

I'm doing work in database management, analysis, analytics, stats, etc.

What the gently caress field do I choose? Computer Software seems like the only one even remotely close. There are no Industry categories related to Data Science in any way.

Research

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

Gregor Samsa posted:

I'm a Philosophy PhD student who hasn't done much in the way of non-poo poo job work and am wondering how to flesh out my Linkedin to make it clear that I'm qualified to do more than read Kant (which I'm actually not really qualified to do, in any professional sense).

I was a philosophy/math double major as an undergrad and have done a bunch of graduate math/physics coursework since starting my PhD. No professional internships and no non-academic positions, although lots of teaching experience. However, short of listing something like "relevant coursework" which seems really tacky and desperate, all anyone is going to see is "Philosophy PhD" and few years as a Muay Thai trainer 5 or 6 years ago, and that isn't a totally accurate representation of the skillset I've acquired in grad school. Does anybody have suggestions for how to make it apparent that I'm slightly less useless than I initially appear?

If you're in the more analytic side, you have the raw aptitude to be a very good data analyst, the problem is that any corporate person will see your CV and run for the hills. Teach yourself SQL and try to learn skills like R or Python. Start looking for opportunities along these lines.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

ultrafilter posted:

Look at Wall Street. There are firms there who hire generally smart people and teach them the necessary technical skills. It's not quite as robust a job market as it was a few years back, but it does still exist.

The problem is most HR people see Philosophy and fall back on dumb stereotypes that aren't true, when the truth is that (some) Philosophy is actually very academically rigorous, probably the most difficult of the humanities. Very interdisciplinary with social sciences, computer science, linguistics, statistics, economics, set theory, etc...

I was an undergrad at a top program and strongly considered grad school, but ultimately decided against it. I have hired a few undergrads as analysts and they were all very good fits, to the point where word got around and a few grad students contacted me with similar thoughts.

Kim Jong Il fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Feb 4, 2015

• Locked thread