Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sim
Sep 24, 2003

I don't know that you need to or even should try to make it clear you're looking for a job. From my experience, recruiters are looking for the most qualified candidates and don't care if they already have a full time job. Trying to passively promote the fact that you're only working part time is just going to seem like you aren't able to hold down a full time job. Per the advice in this thread, it works better to contact recruiters directly/privately and let them know you're looking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sim
Sep 24, 2003

I just went through and requested connections with about 10 people in the group. I just picked people who are in IT/web jobs in the Austin (where I live) or southern California (where I want to live) areas. I put "goon" and my SA username in the message, so don't reject me!

sim
Sep 24, 2003

I just started requesting connections with people at companies I'm interested in working for. Recruiters obviously always accept connections, but you'd be surprised how many people in other positions will accept requests out of the blue. It helps if you share the same position. From those who accept my connections, I'm working on "cold" emailing them just to get a conversation started.

sim
Sep 24, 2003

I'm sure everyone in this thread already believes it, but LinkedIn works and recruiters work (the right ones). Today I received an offer for 60% more than I currently make. The whole process started with a recruiter on LinkedIn. That's how I got my current job. That's also how I've landed several other offers that I've turned down.

In addition to keeping your profile up to date and connecting with lots of people, you should always stay in touch with a good recruiter. You'll know them because they send you openings that actually match your skillset and talk about technology and hopefully don't use the word rockstar.

sim
Sep 24, 2003

the littlest prince posted:

If you're a competent webdev and barely paying the bills something is seriously wrong; you should be making a lot more. You are probably underpaid more than you think.

This. Check some salaries on Glassdoor.com for your area. Also don't put all your eggs in one basket; in addition to following up a lead with the competing agency, seriously start looking for other positions. Just about every company in the world needs webdev help. As for recruiters, I would say 1 out of every 10 are good at their job. Try to get a recommendation from other webdevs in your area (I know a few in the Austin and Orange County, CA area).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sim
Sep 24, 2003

Short answer: no. They are almost always trying to fill a specific job and unless you can refer someone else to bring in, they don't have time for you. There are exceptional recruiters who do want to establish a relationship for future opportunities, but those are few and far between. If you're not actively job hunting, you'd be better served networking with other developers and managers in your field than recruiters.

• Locked thread