Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
Thought I'd chime in really quick regarding groups. In most cases they're really useless. Even my environmental engineering masters alumni group for the school I attended is filled with discussions from the unhireable, socially challenged weirdos who keep posting quality threads such as "How do I go about becoming an environmental engineer now that I'm graduated and didn't get accepted into the PhD program?"

That being said I've met some amazing folks in super specialized groups, like one for a regulatory atmospheric modeling software package (AERMOD). People in that group helped me finish my thesis without hesitation just to be nice. And I've made some new contacts I can ask about stuff all across the country. Groups can be really great if it's a small community with a pretty narrow and specific interest

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003

Pollyanna posted:

Ha ha lets laugh at the jobless losers ha.

Perhaps I should clarify. My school had an excellent job center and lots of the courses themselves revolved around networking with industry. I've seen a bunch of directionless graduates who obviously didn't take advantage of free resources ask generic questions on linkedin with no sort of concept of what they want to do (besides have a job of some sort). the program itself is designed to help people find out what their specific interests are in the environmental field. They want people to give them job leads without providing any specifics as to their interests or abilities

• Locked thread