Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OmNom
Dec 31, 2003

I make a damn tasty cookie. https://bit.ly/rgjqfw
I would like to find a better way to spin my non-traditional job experience. I spent the majority of the recession building my own natural product start-up and reached some success, unfortunately, I did have to close down in 2014. During that time I worked nights as a fine dining server to pay the bills and remained in the industry since I shut my company down. My experience is varied across several industries, but the unifying theme is management, food, and product development and sales - I am having little success with the job hunt and pivoting back into a more career orientated track.

I'm connecting with recruiters, joined stairmasters, and getting my industry connections to write me real letters of recommendation and introducing me to relevant contacts. I would appreciate some constructive feedback about my profile,I can PM you a link.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OmNom
Dec 31, 2003

I make a damn tasty cookie. https://bit.ly/rgjqfw

CarForumPoster posted:

1) -I have never said this so harshly before but...your picture makes you look like a tremendous, though squarejawed, douchebag. You should have a professional LinkedIn photo. Doesn't have to be suit and tie but that's what I'd suggest if yorue selling yourself on once being titled a director.
1a) - Unrelated: Why are your hands so big? You should stop restauranting and take up choking people.
Related: Take your hands out of your photo.
2) -Change the dates around so being a manager appears above server. Rather than talk about what your tasking was, make it clear how your accomplishments got you promoted from being a server to a manager.
3) -Being a server and a "director of sales" doesn't gel. If I see someone who is a director of something and becomes a server I am assuming the director is a straight up lie or totally incongruous with the responsibilities befitting a "director" of anything.
3) -Your description of your accomplishments as a "director" is good, it's a shame you left that to wait tables.
4) -How you describe your unifying theme and how I perceive you from your LinkedIn is incongruous. I dont understand how waiting tables, no matter how fancy the restaurant, is related to the accomplishments of a business negotiator which is the theme of your sales director position.
5) -There some capitalization errors in your event coordinator role. You also used the phrase director in this title as well which I find suspicious because of the server thing. Non-profit experience is good I think, especially in the area you live in.

EDIT: Someone whose background is a BA and not science/engineering should PM him, I am curious if a person more in line with the roles he wants go get would perceive the profile the same way.

1) Honesty is never harsh, it made me laugh. When you are right, well you are right. I promptly replaced the photo with a more appropriate placeholder.
1a) I used to run a dojo, so I did choke people for a living.
2) I can flip the dates for the going into management, restaurant management is a poor life decision. It is half the pay for twice the work.
3) I waited tables for a night job because I enjoyed the industry. When the company I worked for went under I struggled to find work and I went back to serving. Beyond that I was burned out and wanted to take a mental vacation, which is now an extended one.
4) Would it be feasible leaving out the restaurant experience, it seems like it would create a rather glaring hole in my work timeline.
5) It was a volunteer position, but I ran the Orange County branch for the time I noted. That was my title.

I can 86 the serving stuff, and make myself look way less douchy; I'll go back over the profile and fill in some more specific metrics for the higher up positions. Thanks for the feedback.

OmNom fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Dec 7, 2016

• Locked thread