Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kathmandu
Jul 11, 2004

I recently entered into a business partnership that's more-or-less part time, but I'm still very much actively looking for a full-time, "career" type job. How should I make this clear on my profile?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kathmandu
Jul 11, 2004

Matlock posted:

I'm not sure how, but two people that actually work in the stairmaking industry (in a factory right right down the road from me) and are not from SA are in the group now. That's kind of hilarious.

Edit: three.

I saw that. Time to fill the discussion board with horrible, incomprehensible, terrifying conversations :unsmigghh:

kathmandu
Jul 11, 2004

KariOhki posted:

I've got a question about recruitment agencies, basically how shady can they be? I had one contact me off of my profile on LinkedIn, set up an appointment to meet with them, and they want my resume in Word format. I don't like that format since it's more easily editable than other formats. My gut feeling says to cancel the appointment, but my gut gets me into trouble more often than not. Does anyone else have experience with the shadier recruiters, or tips they can share?

I think this post from earlier applies here:

HiroProtagonist posted:

There's some good advice here. After you're initially contacted by a recruiter and they get you on the phone, it's absolutely worth asking if their recruiting agency is under contract to a client. Usually, a company sourcing for high-value or a large number of positions will contract one or more recruiting agencies to help fill the opening(s).

If a recruiter is contracted, it's a more reliable possibility to pursue; but by no means is it a given. Non-contract recruiters (aka "headhunters") will often throw everything against the wall and hope it sticks. This means that headhunters will not hesitate to throw you under the bus in favor of another candidate if it gets them a commission.

It should be said that headhunters can, and will, source for high-value positions, and I'm sure that more than one person has a story where they landed an amazing job because of a headhunter. However, treat that as the exception, rather than the rule. When dealing with non-contract recruiters, cover your own rear end first.

The non-contract recruiters are likely the ones who are gonna screw with your .doc resume. If the recruiter is working for the employer, obviously they don't gain anything by sending them people who aren't a good fit for the job.

kathmandu
Jul 11, 2004

sim posted:

I don't know that you need to or even should try to make it clear you're looking for a job. From my experience, recruiters are looking for the most qualified candidates and don't care if they already have a full time job. Trying to passively promote the fact that you're only working part time is just going to seem like you aren't able to hold down a full time job. Per the advice in this thread, it works better to contact recruiters directly/privately and let them know you're looking.

Cool. Should I be concerned at all about giving the appearance that I'm looking for a job immediately after landing one? I don't want to give the impression that I'm some ruthless merc. Do you figure that's something I can just explain once in contact, or is there another technique I could use to mitigate that image?

kathmandu
Jul 11, 2004

KariOhki posted:

We had the first phone call this morning, so I wasn't able to ask them then. Might as well ask in the email reply they want me to send. It's Workbridge Associates, if that tells you anything -- they seem to be the bottom of the barrel. Then again I do want to get myself out of retail...

The worst case scenario, I suppose, is they set you up with an interview for a job you're not qualified for. :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kathmandu
Jul 11, 2004

SaltLick posted:

I wouldn't worry about sending it in word format. Pretty much what they do is delete your personal information and replace it wit their agencies info. Depending on the position you are gunning for If you get hired you are technically an employee of the agency that's contracted out to whomever. Right now I'm more or less a full time permanent temp worker.

I forget where I saw the thread, but I read something on here a couple months ago about unscrupulous headhunters taking the .doc resumes of programmers and putting languages and qualifications the candidate in no way had into their resume. It had something to do with the headhunter getting paid by the referral/interview as opposed to getting paid for actually sending qualified candidates. From what I gather, it's not a common problem, but it does happen.

• Locked thread