Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
corkskroo
Sep 10, 2004

As someone who hires people and checks them out on LI, I would suggest not intentionally prolonging your employment dates beyond what they actually were. It's weird. If you aren't actively managing the page and haven't changed it that's different, but really if you're looking for a job you should be keeping LI up to date.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corkskroo
Sep 10, 2004

Do any of you job hunters live in/near Baltimore and hope to work in desktop publishing? If so, PM me.

corkskroo
Sep 10, 2004

I sort of posted this elsewhere but thought it would be good here too.

DO look at the hiring manager's profile without fear. I like to see that my upcoming interviewees are curious and motivated.

DON'T request a connection with a hiring manager before the interview has even taken place. They aren't recruiters and their job isn't to sit around playing with linked in all day. It could just be me and my colleagues but we think that's weird. (and it does indeed happen...)

corkskroo
Sep 10, 2004

I may have just used LinkedIn as a tool make very good things happen for my career. I'll post details if it all works out but it's a reminder that all of these things are only tools and it's how you use them (or don't) that makes all the difference.

corkskroo
Sep 10, 2004

I ignore all the random endorsements and never accept them. I know they're nonsense and assume everyone else does too.

corkskroo
Sep 10, 2004

Shnooks posted:

Would it be weird for me to add some people I graduated college with? Like, people I recognize but weren't really friends with me? I'm trying to get a job in what I went to school for and I haven't tried the LinkedIn approach yet.

Go for it. That's completely legit.

corkskroo
Sep 10, 2004

If you're getting too many of these requests or if the requesters are being thoughtless and haven't tried to understand what the industry is or what you do then I can see this being annoying and one step removed from spam. But if someone genuinely wants to know what's up so that they might be able to pursue a meaningful career then I'd be all for giving them that head start.

corkskroo
Sep 10, 2004

Made sure my settings were set to blast everyone with updates before changing my profile just now :smuggo:

corkskroo
Sep 10, 2004

HiroProtagonist posted:

No. Alternatively, let's wait and see.

Personally, I think you're on the right track. That's more or less my own thought process. Making that personal connection is what Linkedin is all about, in regards to job hunting. The bigger and better impression you can make, the more beneficial.

I agree. If your profile is up to snuff you want people to explore it and you want them to have you at the front of their mind. Alternately, if you want someone to be aware of you but for some reason you're hesitant to connect to that person (or it won't let you) then just view their profile so that they get that notification. Make sure your settings will fully reveal wjo you are tho. I've done that and then caught them looking back. I also connected to a potential hiring manager when I wanted them talking about me and found out later that I did it at the exact right moment and injected myself deep into the conversation just when I needed to. Its a powerful tool when used smartly.

To be as bold as I could I actually shared some articles on LI once that connection confirmed so that, if they saw it, they would yet a sense of who I was and what I was thinking about. It was something that related both to my then-current role but also to what I felt I offered them. I guess if I were actively posting on LI in the thought-leadership style I would have been doing that anyway but this was more of a focused attempt to get that hiring manager to think "hmm I like what he's about..." Don't know if that particular tactic landed but I did get the job so it certainly didn't hurt.

corkskroo
Sep 10, 2004

Hey here's what not to do on LinkedIn: Find a guy who works as a designer in marketing in a foreign outpost of a huge financial firm and ask him over and over if he'll arrange for the firm to invest in your vague startup. Not only can he not help you but the conversation is probably against some fine print in his terms of employment!

corkskroo
Sep 10, 2004

moflika posted:

After sending in a scan of my passport for verification:

"Thanks for getting back to me.

Unfortunately we could not validate the ID sent, therefore we are not allowing access back to this account.

Regards,

Beto
LinkedIn Trust & Safety"

Welp, that was fun while it lasted :suicide:

Goodbye Linkedin!

What a load. There has to be a way for them to unblock you. This is a pretty crappy thing to do to you.

corkskroo
Sep 10, 2004

I assume you guys have seen this making the rounds on LinkedIn:

Jesus Christ.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corkskroo
Sep 10, 2004

If they offer to meet at IHOP and show you their tools then you know it's legit.

• Locked thread