Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doghouse
Oct 22, 2004

I was playing Harvest Moon 64 with this kid who lived on my street and my cows were not doing well and I got so raged up and frustrated that my eyes welled up with tears and my friend was like are you crying dude. Are you crying because of the cows. I didn't understand the feeding mechanic.
I joined recently and couldn't find anywhere to say "I am protected." Where am I supposed to do this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doghouse
Oct 22, 2004

I was playing Harvest Moon 64 with this kid who lived on my street and my cows were not doing well and I got so raged up and frustrated that my eyes welled up with tears and my friend was like are you crying dude. Are you crying because of the cows. I didn't understand the feeding mechanic.
How do I let it be known that I am looking for a job despite the fact that I am currently employed? The project I am working on is projected to end in a few months.

Doghouse fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Apr 3, 2013

Doghouse
Oct 22, 2004

Any tips on writing a summary? Should it be in third person or first person? Should it be strictly limited to professional info (experience, education, skills, etc) or is it okay to briefly put it other info, like interests and goals?

Edit: also, should I put every job in, even though they are kind of minor and have nothing to do with the field I am looking for?

Doghouse fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Apr 5, 2013

Doghouse
Oct 22, 2004

Man, I am finding it hard to build up connections. I am at 38, and I have some 20 or 30 other invites sent, but at this point I am having a hard time finding anyone else to invite. I am not a recluse or anything, I wonder what I am doing wrong.

Doghouse
Oct 22, 2004

HiroProtagonist posted:

A good first step is to join Stairmasters if you haven't already, and send connection requests to everyone in the group. That'll get you pretty well started as the group has close to a thousandoops no, more like a bit over 300 members now, if I recall correctly.

Really? Goons are cool with this? Wow. That's super useful.

Doghouse
Oct 22, 2004

HiroProtagonist posted:

If they're joining Stairmasters, they must be.

It sounds like you're trying to be snarky, so just in case that's not what you intended, it actually is quite difficult for goons unfamiliar with LinkedIn to network effectively. Trying to build a network without any common ground is quite difficult.

I was not being snarky

Doghouse
Oct 22, 2004

redjenova posted:

More specifically we were pretty emphatically told that linkedin connections are only to be used essentially if you're a colleague of the person you're connecting with, that you should know them very well, etc.

It seems to me that no one that actually uses LinkedIn follows this.

Doghouse
Oct 22, 2004

I don't know exactly how to procede from here. I read the OP but I am still a bit hesitant.

My profile is fully filled out (all-star!). I have gotten up to about 100 connections. I have joined several groups.

So now...I guess I should do what the OP says here:

"The Jobs board of a group is what gets most of the attention, and will also most likely require the most maintenance on your part while you're actively searching for a job. The simplest method is posting a short and to the point message on the board with a one sentence description of your experience with a note mentioning that you're looking for new opportunities and encouraging readers to check out your profile. Don't post an email yet, that will just invite spam."

And also try to connect with recruiters in these same groups? I'm not really sure how to do this. What kind of groups are we talking about? For instance, I am going into a Master's in CS program this fall and am looking for some kind of internship/job/co-op that is either CS related or at least tech related. What kinds of groups should I look for? Local groups?

I'm not sure even how to articulate what I am unsure about and I guess I just need a bit of a general push in the right direction.

Doghouse
Oct 22, 2004

I don't understand the whole getting a recommendation from a recruiter thing. I mean, they don't even know you or have any idea whether or not you would be a competent employee. Is the whole thing a game? Wouldn't most people be able to see through this?

Doghouse
Oct 22, 2004

Hahah why are all these random connections recommending me for skills they know nothing about? I didn't ask them to.

Doghouse
Oct 22, 2004

Whoa, you applied to 460 jobs? How long did that take you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doghouse
Oct 22, 2004

I really love it when online job applications have the option to apply through LinkedIn. It's so incredibly easy and convenient. I just applied to a CS internship that way. I just hope it doesn't look bad to do that instead of the manual way, but hey, I figure that they decided to give that option, so what the heck.

• Locked thread