Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

I've been in touch with a career counselor (because I'm pretty clueless when it comes to networking), but a few things she said didn't seem quite right.

First of all, she recommended contacting IT professionals (my specialty is data storage) and just inviting them out to socialize/coffee. This seems weird - cold-calling random IT dudes to hang out? Even if she meant contacting IT recruiters, it still seems weird and awkward. I'm aware that I'm a bit of an introvert, but this just seems like it would be more off-putting than anything else. I could be wrong, though!

She also mentioned removing the "Currently Seeking Opportunities" section of my LinkedIn profile - the logic was that recruiters or HR people will already know that I'm looking for work. If I send them my resume directly, then sure, they'll know - but what about everyone else? Also, removing the "Currently Seeking Opportunities" section knocks my profile down in rating, which can't be good.

For background info, my job was outsourced at the end of October, so I don't have to worry about managers seeing my profile or whatnot. So does she have some sort of hidden wisdom that I'm not seeing, or should I look for another career counselor?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread