Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hitension
Feb 14, 2005

Hey guys, I learned Chinese so that I can write shame in another language

Thoguh posted:

Is this really the right way to do it though? I intentionally keep my LinkedIn contacts to people that I have actually worked with or had some other kind of contact with in a professional or volunteer setting. Or at least have done some type of networking with. I ignore requests from people I had a class with in high school or anyone who wouldn't be able to provide at least a passing reference for me or help me find a job in their organization. I feel like who your contacts are says something about you professionally, and adding every Tom, Dick, and Harry dilutes your pool much more than it adds to it. Having 20 contacts who work for a given company doesn't do poo poo for you if none of them would be willing to take a few minutes to help you out with a referral or to pass your resume on to their manager.

Yeah, I agree with this poster. There doesn't seem to be much point in adding people you don't know.
Maybe it varies based on your field?
I have ~100 contacts but they're all people I've done business or gone to school (close classmates, not any random alumni) with, plus a very few (less than 5) people I know from social settings or through my partner. I'd feel comfortable asking any of them for an introduction to a company and at least half of them for a more personalized referral.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hitension
Feb 14, 2005

LinkedIn actually allows for multiple language versions of resumes, try that out.

Also, as for your second question, that all depends on which foreign country and what job function you're looking for... it's not like all non-US hiring is centralized.
edit: Misread, but point about each country being distinct is still valid

hitension
Feb 14, 2005

Whoa, seriously? It's pretty dishonest to say you are still working at your last job when you're not. What happens when your potential new employer calls to check references and the cat comes out of the bag?

hitension
Feb 14, 2005

LinkedIn as a website does not encourage adding people you don't know. I'm not sure what industry the OP is in where it's common to do so.

hitension
Feb 14, 2005

It's fine if that's your personal style but people reading the thread should be aware that LinkedIn as a website really frowns upon this behavior and it can lead to account restrictions.

quote:

The LinkedIn User Agreement states that we have the right to restrict, suspend or close your account if warranted. Customer Service can often lift a restriction after you acknowledge you've read some educational information on proper site use.

The most common reason for a restriction is sending too many invitations to people you don't know.

A restriction is automatically triggered if too many invitations are:

Declined with the I don't know response.
Flagged as Spam.

Tips to prevent restrictions:

Invite only people that you personally know.
Invite only those you'd recommend to others.

hitension
Feb 14, 2005

PennoyerNeff- You're probably all over this but do be aware that LinkedIn is very, very searchable. It's usually the first result (even above Facebook) when I google a person these days. There are ways to make your profile information only visible to contacts, but nothing's ever really secret on the internet.

hitension
Feb 14, 2005

Why not teach ESL? It sounds like your degree is made for it and you can start immediately.

hitension
Feb 14, 2005

Your account isn't public. Simple fix!

Also, it seems like you're some sort of engineer, so this might not be applicable but: make sure people in your field use LinkedIn regularly. It's starting to permeate to all fields, but there are some fields (academia and government come to mind) where people don't rely on LinkedIn as much as their own networks.

hitension
Feb 14, 2005

Did you go to university or work a job? You can search by school or business to find people you know.

hitension
Feb 14, 2005

If they're second degree, you can ask your contact to help you reach out to them.
Actually, in my experience, second degree is pretty much the sweet spot for job recommendations.
You don't want to work next to your best buddies because that's awkward and money ruins friendships, but it's hard to get in with a company when you don't already know anybody working there. But a friend of a friend is just close enough to be able to refer you without being too close.

Third degree is OK, but I think LinkedIn just uses it at least in part to make it look like you know more people than you actually know.

LinkedIn is great but if you have any opportunity to engage in face to face interaction, I really recommend it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hitension
Feb 14, 2005

Sounds like a perfect example of appropriate usage of LinkedIn to me.

• Locked thread