Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
StarSiren
Feb 15, 2005

Wade in the water, Children, Wade in the water
I might have missed it in the OP, but I didn't see a lot of information on this: what is the best way to handle the "current position" requirement?

I've been unemployed for a few months now, and LinkedIn keeps asking me for my current position. Do I say "unemployed"? That doesn't seem like the best way to draw attention.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StarSiren
Feb 15, 2005

Sarcasmatron posted:

Absolutely do not do this.

Your last position should show the actual dates of employment.

The solution is to have your own business on the side, and keep at least a couple of clients/customers active, then you show an uninterrupted employment history and make a couple hundred bucks a month on the side.

This seems more accurate.

I use to do freelance photography/videography for weddings, events and short films, but it's something I haven't touched for almost 3 years now (moved across the country and never re-established myself). Would it make sense to maybe list that as my "current" position even though technically I haven't done anything with it recently?

StarSiren
Feb 15, 2005

ianskate posted:

I'm in a similar, lousy situation. Feeling extremely defeated at this point :suicide:

Count me in, too. Though, in general, I feel really defeated, so maybe it's an extension of that. But, I had applied for a job through a company website and I tried to connect (as people have instructed) with the recruiter for that company. I know they looked at my profile. The next day I get a rejection letter for the position.

I think I'm just having a hard time trying to switch "career fields".

StarSiren
Feb 15, 2005

I connected with a senior recruiter for a company I'd love to work for. I noticed, through the actual company site, that they have a posting for a job that fits me. Should I try contacting the recruiter through LinkedIn to inquire further? What exactly should I be saying/asking of this guy?

EDIT: I actually went back and found the answer I'm looking for... But it did make me wonder, do recruiters have different "sections" of a company that they hire for? If I contact one recruiter, would they refer me down the correct path? Does it matter?

StarSiren fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Apr 2, 2013

• Locked thread