Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RisqueBarber
Jul 10, 2005

What short message are you guys sending to recruiters?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RisqueBarber
Jul 10, 2005

KetTarma posted:

I would like to add you to my LinkedIn network.

As long as your profile shows you to be a relevant connection, I cant imagine them turning you down.

I don't want just their connection, I want them to help me find a job. I've been sent this to about 9 recruiters, and only one has asked for my resume.

I want to invite you to look at my resume and hopefully discuss any open opportunities you may have. If you're interested either message me back, email me at myemail, or call me at my-phone-number.

RisqueBarber
Jul 10, 2005

I'm having a hard time finding a recruiter. I've messaged 7-8 and no one has responded.

RisqueBarber
Jul 10, 2005

C-Euro posted:

If you're trying to connect with them, join groups! Groups will give you a convenient excuse to request connections with recruiters who post in them, since you'll have that in common. I joined one for my field, connected with two or three people in there who regularly posted openings, and so far I've had two other recruiters actually come to me with requests. Now to actually message them about jobs and watch for relevant postings :ohdear:

I've joined 12 groups but have yet to make a post. I'm currently employed and don't want me employer to find out I'm looking for a new job.

RisqueBarber
Jul 10, 2005

Doghouse posted:

How do I let it be known that I am looking for a job despite the fact that I am currently employed? The project I am working on is projected to end in a few months.

I've seen a lot of people change their current company to "Currently seeking employment in (insert field here)".

RisqueBarber
Jul 10, 2005

It's not like facebook where you look at your friend requests. In LinkedIn no one gives a poo poo. I went from 20 connections to 550 in three weeks and I only had one guy message me, "Do I know you?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RisqueBarber
Jul 10, 2005

What negative impact is that?

edit:

Thoguh posted:

Option 1: You are only adding people you are actually connected with, and so are your connections. You get ahold of your first level contact and ask them if they can help put you in touch with person number two. Since they know both of you they contact person number two and put you in touch. Person number two was put in contact with you via someone they actually know so are actually open to talking with you. This is real networking and after meeting them they might be happy to help you find a job. Or maybe you find out the job isn't for you. Either way you now have a new, real connection.

Option 2: You spam invites and so do your connections. You notice a second level contact. You send them an inmail. They probably ignore it because your just some rear end in a top hat who contacted them out of the blue. Even if they don't you could have sent them an email and had the exact same level of response. In this instance going through LinkedIn is totally pointless. You could have just sent an email. one.

I went back and looked at your earlier posts. I think there is more to gain from having more connections than less. Despite spamming connections, (which is what I did) I now get way more views on my profile, come up in more searches, and have more people I could message in case I need a referral. If I ever do need to message one of my random connections, there is no reason for them not to help me because the connection mutual. Why would they think I'm an rear end in a top hat if they accepted my connection to begin with?

RisqueBarber fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Apr 10, 2013

• Locked thread