Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Thanks for this thread and all the great advice posted so far.

Regarding the title line that shows up in search, currently I have my "ROLE with COMPANY" listed there but I am looking to take my newly minted bachelors degree into a completely new and unrelated job. Should I change my title line to something that reflects my education?

B.B.A. in Economics @ MTSU for those following along at home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Up to you as it's work on your end but you could have them place some text in their profile and then link their profile to you in the application message. Or not, whatever.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

LinkedIn is a professional website on which I attempt to con convince companies to give me a 6 figure salary and 4 weeks of vacation. I am not putting "GOONY GOON STAIR GOONS!" anywhere on it.

I dunno, I am relatively new to Linkedin, but are that many people just going to randomly join this group? It doesn't have one of those generic titles like "MCSEs" or "Electrical Engineers" or what have you.

To clarify, I meant your SA profile, not your LI one.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

PrivateEyeball posted:

Is there any way to make the "JOBS YOU MAY BE INTERESTED IN" section show jobs that I'm interested in?

I'd he interested in this too. I bet the answer is no though because its pretty obvious the LinkedIn algorithm is total poo poo.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

You should have a link set up something like linkedin.com/in/yournamehere that goes to a very basic HTML version of your profile information. Try doing that with the public settings.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

I had mine in there until the group was no longer admin approved invites :tinfoil:

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Tiresias MKII posted:

Thanks for this thread.
I have several questions:
1) How long does it usually takes to be accepted on any group?
2) Can you add people from certain countries or is it recommended to add everyone and their pets?
3) Is it true you need to have 50 connections to reach all-star level?

Any advice on job seeking with LinkedIn in the UK for chemical engineer with barely any experience will be appreciated.

1) instantly to a week is what I've seen. The longer one was due to a verification process for the group.

2) you mean will LI let you search by country?

3) yes (assuming you have done the other things)

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

So when a recruiter's listing makes it obvious who the company is without naming the company should I not put the company name in the cover letter I write? I was trying to show my investigative skills/drive but maybe that would just make a recruiter toss my app?

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Danger Dog posted:

Is it normal for a company to make its own regular LinkedIn profile (with "work experience," etc.) to connect with employees?

Sounds weird to me, they should be creating a company page instead of trying to skirt the differences and walls that LinkedIn has purposely put in place between the two.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

LinkedIn has changed their internal application method to only allow the uploading of one Resume/Cover Letter? I admit I haven't tried to ctrl+click to upload multiple files...

If we are limited to one file should we mash both together or use our linkedin profile as the resume and upload a cover letter to go with it?

edit: And multiple upload is not possible.

tangy yet delightful fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Sep 20, 2013

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

I saw a "like and share this" cancer post yesterday. Facebook it has become.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

I have no recommendations or reviews written and I am at the all-star level or whatever the top level is called. They may boost your search but the LI visible level can be maxed out regardless.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

HiroProtagonist posted:

Hmm, verrrrry interesting. Would you might PMing me a link to your profile so I can check it out and see what you have completed? This may warrant some edits to the OP if I can figure out what might be included.

PM sent via Awful app, lemme know if you don't get it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

HiroProtagonist posted:

Okay, so the results were inconclusive. I couldn't tell any difference between my profile and yours other than the lack of recommendations, so my only possible conclusion is that this was once a requirement but at some point it stopped being required. If you remember when you hit 100% that might be the only thing that helps further.

I know my profile was 100% complete before the rollout of LinkedIn's redesigned site in the summer/fall of 2012 (pretty sure that's when it was), so the profile building advice given in the OP was based on my experience with doing that going as far back as 2009, in addition to what I had discovered through using LinkedIn since the 2012 redesign in the course of finding a new job.

I also very clearly remember being badgered to complete my profile by getting recommendations, but again that was in 2009ish.

All this leads me to conclude that, at least by spring 2013 if not the fall 2012 redesign, LinkedIn stopped making recommendations a requirement for a "fully complete" profile.
I believe that my profile completion would have been around/after the redesign since I don't think I bothered with maximizing linkedin until the time I got my bachelors degree. So this lines up with the 2012 redesign changing the requirements.

• Locked thread